Let's Talk Cyclocross

Aug. 5, 2010, 2:32 p.m.

i'm thinking of giving cross racing a try this season, got everything i need but a (lightish) frame. anyone have a large spare/beaten alu frame (1") or frame and fork (1.125") they want to unload?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 5, 2010, 5:35 p.m.

i think wayne p still has that ridley laying around for a good price . don't know if it would fit ( 52 , 54 ? ) but the price was like 350 for frame , fork , BB and headset .

if you get it , mention my name and tell him i want a commission :lol:

Aug. 5, 2010, 5:38 p.m.

yup there it is still on page one . . . .

300 , wow

Aug. 5, 2010, 6:21 p.m.

There still aren't that many for options for disc race bikes, the UCI decision came too late for manufacturers to add disc options to their 2011 lines. There should be more options for next season.

Norco cross bikes I believe have disc mounts. The "cross" bike MEC sells also has the disc mounts.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 5, 2010, 6:43 p.m.

my bike was sold a looooong time ago.

Aug. 5, 2010, 8:12 p.m.

I think UCI wanted to curb the move to have multiple tires already mounted and ready for races. Pros would show up with 20 wheels with various sizes and tread patterns all glued up and ready to race. By eliminating the larger sizes that will in theory eliminate the "need" to have so many wheels or the advantage that the rich teams have to be able to have $60,000 of wheels tires and cassettes per rider. So now all the privateers that have already invested in so called wide 35c and greater tires have a bunch of training tires. I'll run my 34c Hutchisons this year as I have a 6 of them, two pair used and one new for racing. It sounds like the 1 and 2 riders might get checked but us pack fodder are likely safe. If I get called on it, I'll simply quit and complain to CBC and then to UCI. As far as I am concerned it is moronic. If anyone thinks a fatter tire is somehow making the sport too expensive they need to give their head a shake.

I mean if they want to keep it real for the lowly privateer, limit the number of wheels a rider can bring to an event. Ban carbon wheels. Or at least give a season so riders can use up old fat tires. Shit fat tires are faster anyway so why not state that tires must be over 34c in size. And legs cannot be shaved. And anyone caught actually training will be banned for two weeks for their health,

Here's a good interview about the rule changes with Adam Myerson:

http://www.cxmagazine.com/myerson-uci-rule-changes-2010

:canada: :england:

Aug. 5, 2010, 8:35 p.m.

And legs cannot be shaved. And anyone caught actually training will be banned for two weeks for their health,

You had better ban sleeping as sleep is a proven performance enhancer. better ban food as well while they are at it.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 5, 2010, 8:42 p.m.

For those who are interested the Pacific Cycling Centre is offering CX camps.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/cross-camps-training-british-columbia

http://pacificcyclingcentre.ca/news/article.html?d=news/2010/07/01/199/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 6, 2010, 12:10 a.m.

Speaking of equipment:

WTB: 48-50 cm cross frame w/disc tabs (Salsa Las Cruces would be my 1st choice)

Looking to Sell: 49 cm 2004 Kona Jake frame w/Kinesis Crosslight fork

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 6, 2010, 8:06 a.m.

i like this picture

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Aug. 6, 2010, 9:36 a.m.

You had better ban sleeping as sleep is a proven performance enhancer. better ban food as well while they are at it.

Damn straight! Cross is properly done after an all night bender hitting the start still a little drunk with the hangover only coming on mid race afterward you barf up the eggs benny from Denny's.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 6, 2010, 10:13 a.m.

Second year for hooli's race in Aldergrove should come with some challenging course changes.

What do y'all think of the change to road categories vs. self-seeding in the A,B,C's? Should cut down on the sandbaggers.

I'm looking forward to my race this year. I've located some sand in the park and will utilize more terrain this year which I didn't do last year. Last years course pretty much kept everyone on the rivet for the whole race. This year will be more technical but still very hard (if someone doesn't puke I'll be disappointed).

Just a FYI we are running some informal CX practices out of Speed Theory on Wednesdays. I won't be there this week but feel free to call and ask where its starting.

or follow this http://twitter.com/cxvancouver

ORIGINAL FREETARD
and now I'm CROSSTARDED

Aug. 6, 2010, 10:30 a.m.

…. but still very hard (if someone doesn't puke I'll be disappointed).

..sounds glorious!

Aug. 6, 2010, 11:40 a.m.

Damn straight! Cross is properly done after an all night bender hitting the start still a little drunk with the hangover only coming on mid race afterward you barf up the eggs benny from Denny's.

That sounds so anti UCI.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 6, 2010, 3:07 p.m.

That sounds so anti UCI.

Yeah. Some of their rules make sense, sometimes I think they have no clue, like pits and spares for xc racing. Say that's good idea it will encourage the use of super light flimsy shit. It's argued that cyclocross is intended to require skills that disc brakes and fat tires don't require (or will lessen the degree of skill needed) but they at the same time allow pits and spares in mountainbike. The argue that they are trying to keep cross in the same context as it has always been and they don't want to change the sport yet pits and spares do change xc in my opinion to the detriment of the sport.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.