Let's Talk Cyclocross

Aug. 4, 2010, 4:35 p.m.

Just over a month until the first CyclingBC race of the 2010 season:

http://www.cyclingbc.net/calendar-cyclocross

Will it be wet and muddy in early-Sept or bone-dry? I would bet on dry but the season goes well into November so the mud will come. Looks like a solid calendar once October hits … a new player in Glotman Simpson holding a race and EV and Daryl-Evans down to one race each. Will the EV race be in PoCo again? That was a fun event and great venue. Second year for hooli's race in Aldergrove should come with some challenging course changes.

What do y'all think of the change to road categories vs. self-seeding in the A,B,C's? Should cut down on the sandbaggers.

:canada: :england:

Aug. 4, 2010, 5:26 p.m.

i had a lot of fun racing as a rookie last year . i got the experience i felt i needed to move up to race with the guys my own age . i think i could grovel for 45 minutes :lol:

i had to sell the bike i was racing on last year , and i don't think i am going to be able to replace it , so i may be a spectator this year .

i didn't have have any past experience to draw from , but i did enjoy all the venues last year . even that one out at softball city where i hit the ground more times in that one race than all the others combined .

as for the sandbaggers , they know it , the field knows it , the spectators know it , and you can tell when they get up on the podium there is a little bit of guilt . hopefully they will continue to come out and improve the field in the appropriate category . it would be pretty lame to think that racers are coming to these events strictly for the prizes they might win . after all , everyone one knows the draw prizes is where it's at :lol:

Aug. 4, 2010, 5:29 p.m.

oh , will the new 33mm rule be enforced ?

and why was that rule instituted ?

Aug. 4, 2010, 11:33 p.m.

Who's in for Starcrossed and who's missing out ? Anyone heading down to Silver Lake ? There's a big gaping hole in the Sept schedule…don't just sit your Dugasts, get out there and HUP HUP HUP.

NSMBA member.

Aug. 5, 2010, 6:35 a.m.

Catherine Pendrel is putting on a CX series here this fall.

Aug. 5, 2010, 7:06 a.m.

Thread Jack :): I have a Cannondale cross bike that I'd like to sell. Its a 52cm frame. Shimano 105 level spec and in good shape. If anyone is interested let me know.

Aug. 5, 2010, 7:56 a.m.

Catherine Pendrel is putting on a CX series here this fall.

veryyyy innnnterestingggg! We had an eastern canuck, Natasha Elliot, win the big NACT series last year, beating some top US riders. Would be great to see Catherine hit the mud in the larger regional events, and it's very cool that the BC interior is getting a series this fall.

NSMBA member.

Aug. 5, 2010, 8:20 a.m.

Id like to give this a shot this fall, so need to pick up a bike and such… any suggestions? What to watch out for? Since the rule change, should i make sure i get something with discs?

Aug. 5, 2010, 10:19 a.m.

Aug. 5, 2010, 10:36 a.m.

why do i have a feeling that could be out of my price range?

Aug. 5, 2010, 10:57 a.m.

ya but you would probably pay for it and then some with all the prize $

Aug. 5, 2010, 11:52 a.m.

why do i have a feeling that could be out of my price range?

Always good to set a price range, so folks can make suitable suggestions. Size too, there could be a good used deal out there for you.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 5, 2010, 11:54 a.m.

oh , will the new 33mm rule be enforced ?

and why was that rule instituted ?

I think UCI wanted to curb the move to have multiple tires already mounted and ready for races. Pros would show up with 20 wheels with various sizes and tread patterns all glued up and ready to race. By eliminating the larger sizes that will in theory eliminate the "need" to have so many wheels or the advantage that the rich teams have to be able to have $60,000 of wheels tires and cassettes per rider. So now all the privateers that have already invested in so called wide 35c and greater tires have a bunch of training tires. I'll run my 34c Hutchisons this year as I have a 6 of them, two pair used and one new for racing. It sounds like the 1 and 2 riders might get checked but us pack fodder are likely safe. If I get called on it, I'll simply quit and complain to CBC and then to UCI. As far as I am concerned it is moronic. If anyone thinks a fatter tire is somehow making the sport too expensive they need to give their head a shake.

I mean if they want to keep it real for the lowly privateer, limit the number of wheels a rider can bring to an event. Ban carbon wheels. Or at least give a season so riders can use up old fat tires. Shit fat tires are faster anyway so why not state that tires must be over 34c in size. And legs cannot be shaved. And anyone caught actually training will be banned for two weeks for their health,

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 5, 2010, 2:14 p.m.

Always good to set a price range, so folks can make suitable suggestions. Size too, there could be a good used deal out there for you.

Youre right. Im 5'11… Id like to keep it around the 1000 mark.

Aug. 5, 2010, 2:31 p.m.

Youre right. Im 5'11… Id like to keep it around the 1000 mark.

Used Kona Jake the Snake can be had for around $800-900. Seems like late August/Sept is when a lot of rigs go up for sale, as people make room for new bikes leading up to the season.

There still aren't that many for options for disc race bikes, the UCI decision came too late for manufacturers to add disc options to their 2011 lines. There should be more options for next season.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk