Let's Talk Cyclocross

Nov. 2, 2012, 1:39 p.m.

One thing my wife noticed at the Pumpkin Cross was all the kids. We had met up with another friend who came to race as well. After some uncomfortable discussion, he came by him self and left his 3 kids at home because his wife wasn't interest in coming out.

It appears the average CX racers is thirt/fourty somethings with kids. If organizers had some sort child minding program, lead by a teen, you might get more racers out. Im sure there are some wives that don't want to come out to races and don't want to be saddled with the kids at home while the dads are off racing for 4hrs. So the dads don't make it out.

The child minding would really only be for 30-45mins at a time while the race is going on. Seeing CX racing is pretty self contained it wouldn't be hard to set something up with activies of sorts in the middle of the course or near registration. Just a thought.

I fully resemble that demographic! :-)

The kids races are fun but if the kids (with or without spouse) come out then you generally get a shorter warmup (arrive closer to start time) and much less hangout after your race (leave before awards). The vibe at many is generally family-friendly but I'd second mattbc's thoughts on finding activities to keep the kids happily occupied when they've gotten bored of watching racers go around in circles!

An on-site child-minding / kids-activity service is an interesting idea - I'd be willing to pay for that!

Courses with playgrounds (that are not used in the course!) help in this area.
Any sponsors willing to supply a bouncy castle? Ha Ha!

Nov. 2, 2012, 2:38 p.m.

I might enter a race just for the bacon. Can I do it on an xc-hardtail? Is there some kind of "open-class for tards?"

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 2, 2012, 2:59 p.m.

I might enter a race just for the bacon. Can I do it on an xc-hardtail? Is there some kind of "open-class for tards?"

Race "Citizen" - Race fees plus 1 day license (if you don't have one) - 30min race.

XC-hardtail is fine - I've even spotted XC duallies in Citizen!

Last race - Pumpkin Cross (http://www.localride.ca/wp/2012/10/30/pumpkin-cross-delivers-halloween-fun-to-maple-ridge/) - there was a sign "Just say no to bacon". I'm assuming in protest of the dry/crispy bacon handups at Mahon / BC Champs that were inducing half-laps of dry gags for almost all takers! Instead, there were licorice [HTML_REMOVED] marshmallow handups… the marshmallows ended up being more heckling projectiles for passing riders!

Take with caution: Handups are rarely performance enhancing - although the brandy handup at Aldor Acres seemed to stave off a pending cramp! Good times…

Nov. 6, 2012, 11:15 a.m.

Hey Folks.

FYI, there is pre-reg open for EV GP of CX on Saturday. $25. $35 for doing it day-of.

http://reg.ccnbikes.com/index.php/event/escape-velocity-grand-prix-of-cyclocross

Cheers.

Nov. 6, 2012, 3:11 p.m.

Is the course good at the EV GP of CX (I won't need much persuasion)

And Buster you should sign up for Citizen, I will be there on a my six speed road bike, hopefully no mechanical problems this time.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 6, 2012, 4:22 p.m.

clarkee - depends what you call "good". There isn't much in the way of elevation gain/loss, but I think it is generally a good course that is liked. I have some tough elements in there. But there is a lot of "easy" stuff too.

Highlights from 2010 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT_N6y47ZCI

Nov. 6, 2012, 4:25 p.m.

There is a pretty cool forested area that is not in the video.

Nov. 6, 2012, 4:27 p.m.

If you can handle the reverse shot motion sickness youget a bit of an idea of the full area…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaWp1br54uU

Nov. 6, 2012, 10:32 p.m.

looks perfect, see you Saturday.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 7, 2012, 11:47 a.m.

I have another question. Is it considered bad form to intentionally punch your competitors in the throat to prevent being overtaken? I think that may be my only chance for not coming in dead last.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 8, 2012, 9:21 p.m.

Dead last isn't really that bad. I hang out back there a lot.

Nov. 9, 2012, 3:39 p.m.

I have another question. Is it considered bad form to intentionally punch your competitors in the throat to prevent being overtaken? I think that may be my only chance for not coming in dead last.

I was DFL last week. and too far back to throat punch a competitor :(

Nov. 9, 2012, 3:43 p.m.

I was DFL last week. and too far back to throat punch a competitor :(

I'd do it whilst being lapped if I have to.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 16, 2012, 9:57 a.m.

Anyone going to BCGPCX this Sunday in Surrey?
Sad I'll probably miss it :mad:

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

Nov. 16, 2012, 1:14 p.m.

Anyone going to BCGPCX this Sunday in Surrey?
Sad I'll probably miss it :mad:

going
bringing up the bottom 1/3 in the "challenge" race