Let's Talk Cyclocross

Sept. 17, 2012, 9:52 a.m.

The only reason that yesterday's race was a BC Cup, was that the organizer works for Cycling BC. and It was a promo tie in to the BMX Supercross event. I didn't race it so I can't comment on the course or how it was run, but it looked a bit rough from the photo's.

yes, it was a _bit _rough

Sept. 17, 2012, 10:35 a.m.

Admittedly I always am at the back of my group but I thought the race was fantastic. If that course was any bumpier than the most recent years Local Ride "pumpkin cross" races in the equestrian park I would be surprised (and that is a great race as well). Again maybe things are different if you are going way faster.

Years ago I came out to race cyclo-cross after racing triathlons. Two different worlds in terms of organization. It seems many people would have a better time if they lowered their expectations. For a bunch of people willing to ride around and possibly wreck multiple thousand dollar bikes cyclocross races are cheap (compared to many other forms of entry level organized racing) and the cost effectiveness shows.

Races are usually club organized (and many times only one person in a club) with help from multiple volunteers and/or low paid staff that have never done their tasks before creates an environment that is bound to be slow and some what disorganized. In my mind this is what $35 races are like and likely always will be like.

Everyone Saturday that spoke to me that was pissed off seemed to want to show up last minute as in their mind the drive out was "too far", not wait in line, have bathrooms closer, and race on a muddy technical course. Sunny, difficult, different, and new seemed to be lost on everyone.

Maybe the hidden message of showcasing the sport through this race could have been spelled out better. I hope someone else noticed two older Redline shirt wearing guys wandering around. You think they possibly worked for Redline bikes and wanted to check out what cyclocross was like in BC while they were 1000 feet away with their BMX team trailer at the UCI BMX Worldcup race?

They were likely not the only manufacturer people who took a look. I have to guess that some additional exposure to our sport was some of the race promoters reasoning to race in grass under the powerlines next to the BMX race. Thanks Cycling BC for that.

That being said Cycling BC seems to have an odd internal working that I don't understand except to think must be budget related. Race promoter Erich seemed to be busting his ass. Commissionaires always do the liability limited role I expect them to (There must be a big rule book that structures their fun level as well as the decision making process from going outside of their limits). From the outside looking in the rest of the organization seems very cumbersome. It seems someone else always is needed to get a task done and I am unsure if that person even exists.

Jeff that is a sad story as your race in Aldergrove was wicked fun and was well done.

Sept. 17, 2012, 1:33 p.m.

Hey lewey … not gonna pick apart your post, but I think the 'cross community locally understand what the series is all about as we've been racing here for many years, and thus we have a certain "expectation" of what to expect. Most local races cost less and are better organized from a behind the scenes sense, and every course I've raced locally, including Pumpkin Cross, is better than what was offered last w/e under the powerlines. For a first year event, they should be busting their butts to get racers coming out to Abby, but IMO they fell far short in every area. Hopefully they can improve, but if it's the same course next yr, I'm not going to make the trek.

:canada: :england:

Sept. 17, 2012, 4:40 p.m.

No issue. That's why these forums are here to discuss things. We both have different interpretations.

It certainly wasn't perfect but I don't think it was dramatically night and day different to most races in the last five years. Some are better than others but I don't think any are really bad.

Either way lets hope for race weather like that again on the 29-30th.

Sept. 18, 2012, 8:22 a.m.

The 29th, 25 buck pre-reg, not too rough and not too far.

Sept. 18, 2012, 9:07 a.m.

No issue. That's why these forums are here to discuss things. We both have different interpretations.

It certainly wasn't perfect but I don't think it was dramatically night and day different to most races in the last five years. Some are better than others but I don't think any are really bad.

Either way lets hope for race weather like that again on the 29-30th.

nice weather id for road racing…

Bring on the RAIN!

but, not during the week when I'm commuting
and not this weekend when I'm riding on Fromme :D

Sept. 18, 2012, 12:58 p.m.

Hmmm, after last weekend I am thinking about starting the improvements to my bike. Does anyone have pair of 170mm crank arms going spare which have a 36t or would take a 36t chain ring. Cheers,

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Sept. 18, 2012, 3:05 p.m.

I have a Santa Cruz with 172.5 mm cranks that would be a great improvement on your situation.

Sept. 18, 2012, 3:59 p.m.

You are right about the Santa Cruz being an improvement it might need stretching a little to fit but we should be good to go.

I am bit disappointed how the Nishiki performed on the weekend the 52 tooth chainring acted like a giant hay baler! I am bit disappointed about how the rider performed to it would appear I am less fit than I was two years ago.

Sept. 18, 2012, 6:16 p.m.

Just pop off the 52 ans set the limt screws in. There won't be a lot of tall grass until Barry's Pumpkin Cross anyways

Sept. 18, 2012, 9:45 p.m.

May be after New Brighton, that big chain ring is a bonus on the road across the top

Sept. 18, 2012, 10:48 p.m.

I think we've got a few 170-172.5mm cranksets and 36T rings kicking around at Mighty.

Although I have no idea what the situation was with respect to Abby, as someone who's organized a completely rained-out gong show of a grassroots event and volunteered at dozens of others, I do encourage anyone who thinks that they can do a better job than the aforementioned first-time promoter to step up to the plate and make it happen!

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

Sept. 19, 2012, 11:35 a.m.

May be after New Brighton, that big chain ring is a bonus on the road across the top

not so much a bonus, In my experience at New Brighton last year, after the start there wasn't a wheel across the top that I wasn't able to hold and I did't have a big chain ring. Granted, I wasn't close to the leaders, but I was close to the front of the masters 3/4 pack.

Oct. 1, 2012, 6:35 a.m.

Is EV's Oct 7th race a 'go'? Where? Start times?

NSMBA member.

Oct. 1, 2012, 5:59 p.m.

Is EV's Oct 7th race a 'go'? Where? Start times?

Here you go

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll