Leg shaving

May 3, 2006, 11:26 a.m.

One of the things I like best about shaved legs is that they don't get nearly as cold when I'm riding in wet or cold weather.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

May 3, 2006, 8 p.m.

One of the things I like best about shaved legs is that they don't get nearly as cold when I'm riding in wet or cold weather.

Finally a good reason! Sweat must evaporate better on hot days too.

Plenty of people with hair get massages without significant hair-related pain, but that is personal preference so I can't argue that point.

As for bandages coming off easier, why not shave AFTER the crash?

I still think that a large part of it, among recreational riders, is simply tradition and emulating the pro riders you admire. Does anybody but a pro get daily massages, or crash enough to pre-emptively shave future wound areas? Seems like a lot of trouble for minor benefits for anyone but a pro.

Anyway, this started as a "how to" thread and not a "why" thread. sorry to hijack it.

May 3, 2006, 8:31 p.m.

So the 99% of roadies who don't have team masseurs shave because why?

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

May 3, 2006, 9:36 p.m.

Finally a good reason! Sweat must evaporate better on hot days too.

I notice that as well. Also much easier to get on a good even coat of sunblock on sunny days.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 13, 2006, 9:53 a.m.

Believe it or not, roadies do not sit around in cafes bragging about how they shaved x seconds off their TT time because they trimmed their leg hair the night before.

True. Instead they sneak uppers into their double espresso while sandbagging about how tired they are, and then work your ass into the pavement on the second half of a 4 km, 12% climb.

Some of the guys I ride with used to race, but they keep shaving because it looks and feels "tidy". No other reason…just habit. And yes, some sort of twisted vanity.

May 13, 2006, 9:56 a.m.

Isn't one of the functions of hair to transport perspiration further from the body so it evaporates more efficiently? I' not buying that one, or the warmth argument. Hairy legs must be (ever-so-slightly) warmer than shaved ones, if anything.

The even tan thing - yeah, that makes sense (if you have legs like Chewbacca).

May 13, 2006, 10:56 p.m.

The reason I always heard was because when you get road rash you don't want hair in the scab. Not the bandages, the scab.

As a new roadie I too am contemplating the leg shaving debacle.

www.vitalmtb.com

May 17, 2006, 2:39 a.m.

Don't bother shaving, just ride with hairy legs like a real man. Over-eager shavers look like racer wannabes.

June 6, 2006, 6:06 p.m.

But it feels so goood!!!! ;)

:banana:

June 6, 2006, 6:55 p.m.

just sahve your ass. you still get the excitment of shaving a body part but you dont look like some keener pro wanna be racer.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

June 6, 2006, 9:56 p.m.

thanks for the advice. How would I explain that one though? "Hey man, you gay or something with that smooth butt?" "No, I just road bike."

www.vitalmtb.com

June 6, 2006, 10:15 p.m.

it doesnt have to be your ass. it could be your sack, back, feet or whatever.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

June 7, 2006, 1:43 a.m.

thanks for the advice. How would I explain that one though? "Hey man, you gay or something with that smooth butt?" "No, I just road bike."

Who should you have to explain that to? Lots of guys looking at your bare ass or something?

June 7, 2006, 2:16 p.m.

I live in a dorm, an oldschool dorm.

www.vitalmtb.com

June 7, 2006, 9:12 p.m.

it doesnt have to be your ass. it could be your sack, back, feet or whatever.

What you need is the good ol' back, crack [HTML_REMOVED] sack wax.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.