Leg shaving

April 26, 2006, 6:14 p.m.

but eventually when you do let it grow back it will be about nine times as thick as it grows back with avengence.

Sorry, but leg hair is not like the hair on your palms.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 27, 2006, 1:21 a.m.

I dont have any on my palms!?

April 27, 2006, 12:17 p.m.

From a woman who knows, wax is the only way to go. Alot of spas will wax a man ( anywhere!) and they love it when guys come in. Its not exactly cheap but you get to wear a cool bath robe and the women are fun.
It takes a few weeks to grow back and eventually it will grow in thinner as the folicle is damaged when the hair is yanked out. The spas will usually have some sort of after care for you to put on that will make you smooth and take away any lingering pain.
When I do the home kit I always miss spots as I can't reach, and I get it everywhere and it is eally hard to get off.
One warning though, the thicker the hair the more it will hurt. I suggest seeing "the 40 year old virgin" before any Wookie waxing.
For a real treat go Brazilian !

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

April 27, 2006, 10:21 p.m.

I never said it doesn't grow back at all!!! But shaving it doesn't change the rate of growth, it still grows the same amount each day. I dunno about legs but my scalp and face stubble growth haven't changed in years.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

April 30, 2006, 9:37 p.m.

hahah the man-o-lantern.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

May 1, 2006, 3:55 p.m.

all i gotta say is WAX…for the woman(en) in your life, please!!

You think that our leg hair is stubbly and sandpapery when it grows back?? men who's leg hair is growing back feels like it's gonna rip off your skin - so i've heard.
Besides, what Darthyoga says is right, waxed hair doesn't grow in as harshly and as coarse as it was. shaved hair grows in the same. and get it done professionally the first time, so that you know what to expect. it will be over before you know it, and you won't have to worry about it for a couple weeks!

May 1, 2006, 7:43 p.m.

As for the "it grows back thicker" myth, if you shave it seems to grow back coarser because the very end of the hair is chopped off, rather than tapered like a normal hair (or one that has grown back after being yanked out via waxing). It's like a normal tapered tree vs a stump.

May 1, 2006, 8:05 p.m.

I'm definetly no pro, but the reason, my coach tells me, for the leg shaving is that if you crash or whatever, your hair becomes like velcro and sticks to the road, and a lot of ripping occurs. This slows down the healing process as well as gives these huge, ugly scars…

Under the same logic, shouldn't you shave your arms as well? Hair doesn't cause infections, and if it's a serious gash there will be a lot more dirt than hair in there. Nor does hair have some magical pavement-gripping ability or the ability to remove flesh. Do chunks of flesh come off when women pluck their eyebrows? In the case of road rash, since you'll be painfully scrubbing the dirt out with a brillo pad you may as well shave the wound at that time.

Cyclists shave their legs for looks, fashion and tradition. I think men are afraid of being perceived as "womanly" by non-cyclists if they can't come up with a grimly practical reason, preferably involving painful injury of some sort.

May 2, 2006, 9:16 a.m.

Cyclists shave their legs for looks, fashion and tradition. I think men are afraid of being perceived as "womanly" by non-cyclists if they can't come up with a grimly practical reason, preferably involving painful injury of some sort.

Nope - (well, maybe some do it for "fashion" but that's lame) but there is some other misinformation in this thread as well. Mainly, cyclists shave because bandgaes come off easier if you're not hairy. Reason #2 is for the pros who get massages every day: massages on hairy legs hurt as hair gets pinched between the masseur's hands and your skin. Some cyclists claim a psychological effect, but there is not a noticeable decrease in aerodynamic drag as most people think.

May 2, 2006, 9:42 p.m.

Sleeper I think you are right on the mark. The excuses about road rash, aero and so on are just that: excuses. "Looks, fashion and tradition" are the real reasons.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

May 3, 2006, 12:56 a.m.

The excuses about road rash, aero and so on are just that: excuses.

As Pete already pointed out, "aero" was NEVER given as a reason for shaving legs, at least in modern times. In the pro peloton, the reasons for shaving are due to road rash but most of all, for the daily massages during racing.

If you've ever seen a team masseuse at work, the reasons for shaving are pretty apparent.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 3, 2006, 6:27 a.m.

If you've ever seen a team masseuse at work, the reasons for shaving are pretty apparent.

No doubt - can't be as nice as it sounds to have a leg massage every day. None of the soigneurs/masseuses are women, as far as I know, so you can throw that wet dream right out the window…

May 3, 2006, 6:39 a.m.

As Pete already pointed out, "aero" was NEVER given as a reason for shaving legs, at least in modern times. In the pro peloton, the reasons for shaving are due to road rash but most of all, for the daily massages during racing.

My fiance is a retired national team volleyball player. If I din't shave my legs I would be in even more pain when she does massage work on me. And the kind of massage I'm talking about isn't what you find at an airport departure lounge or the Number 5 Orange.

Though have noticed one thing, Both road and trail riding cuts and such heal faster without all the hair in the way.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 3, 2006, 6:42 a.m.

From a woman who knows, wax is the only way to go. Alot of spas will wax a man ( anywhere!) and they love it when guys come in. Its not exactly cheap but you get to wear a cool bath robe and the women are fun.
It takes a few weeks to grow back and eventually it will grow in thinner as the folicle is damaged when the hair is yanked out. The spas will usually have some sort of after care for you to put on that will make you smooth and take away any lingering pain.
When I do the home kit I always miss spots as I can't reach, and I get it everywhere and it is eally hard to get off.
One warning though, the thicker the hair the more it will hurt. I suggest seeing "the 40 year old virgin" before any Wookie waxing.
For a real treat go Brazilian !

You just want to enjoy watching a man suffer through this. Admit it you will take pleasure in it.:P

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 3, 2006, 10:27 a.m.

Only noobs ever mention the whole "shaving=aero" urban myth. Actual cyclists who ride day in and day out, and maybe shave, NEVER claim any aero benefits.

Believe it or not, roadies do not sit around in cafes bragging about how they shaved x seconds off their TT time because they trimmed their leg hair the night before. Nor do they shave their eyebrows or heads for the same reasons.