Indoor CX Course

Oct. 1, 2013, 8:02 a.m.

I am wondering if any of you have ever ridden an indoor CX course/race? I am looking for the NSMB CX gods advice.
Our bike club is talking with our municipality about having a CX course in the new rec center that is being proposed. What I need is layouts, materials, etc. The will have to be clean so no dirt, sand, etc. But we can have fake grass, hurtles, stairs, bumps, etc. Please post what you have seen or ideas.

The couse will have a skill park around it.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Oct. 3, 2013, 9:07 a.m.

I am looking for the NSMB CX gods advice.

Since none of the aforementioned NSMB CX gods have posted so far, I'll respond on behalf of the mere NSMB CX mortals/n00bs) side of things. Let's talk - send me PM.

Oct. 3, 2013, 10:26 a.m.

Does that not go against what CX is? It's supposed to be cold muddy shitty hell.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Oct. 3, 2013, 11:45 a.m.

Does that not go against what CX is? It's supposed to be cold muddy shitty hell.

Ya, but if it gets a few more people out (let's say on weeknight evenings during the winter), or gets others out more frequently, then they will hopefully transition into the real dealio outdoors.

Ya, if all they would do is indoors or only in fair weather conditions they're missing out on a huge part of the experience.

Oct. 3, 2013, 12:55 p.m.

I have never seen an indoor CX course, but the format would be absolutely awesome.
In your photos above there is a banked section, is a Velodrome in the works too for your space? That would be amazing to include all types of riding inside for the cold winters.
CX is all about accelerations, Varied terrain and riding surfaces corner speed and at minimum one set of 2 barriers to a maximum of 40cm high. The rest you can let your imagination run wild, to go within budget.

if you have a bmx or 4x course in the same space, use that as a part of the dirt section. you could have people run up the stairs of the bleachers and go down a ramp at the back. If you have a fake soccer field you could probably use the outside edges with out damaging it. that needs to be seen, because bikes can mess up real grass, but I have never raced or ridden on an indoor track.

Good Luck and hit me up with a PM if you want more info or help with a course layout.

Oct. 3, 2013, 1:46 p.m.

Where would this be? Sounds like a terrific idea.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Oct. 5, 2013, 5:58 p.m.

It would be in Fort Mac, are winters are crazy long and harsh.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

Oct. 5, 2013, 9:54 p.m.

I understand the utility, but it somehow makes me sad like watching a parking lot crit would.

Check my stuff for sale!

Oct. 7, 2013, 10:02 a.m.

I understand the utility, but it somehow makes me sad like watching a parking lot crit would.

With 6 months of snow indoor is the way to go, just look at Ray's!