I would like to say that road rash sucks

Jan. 14, 2006, 3:38 p.m.

playing card sized road rash on my right hip, directly over the hip bone (makes it tough to wear pants), really deep. cleaning the black crap out in the shower was NOT fun. beware of gravel when taking corners at high-speed :( :(

oh yeah, and i ruined a $85 jacket…

neosporin and painkillers. damn.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Jan. 14, 2006, 4:26 p.m.

The best part will be a couple of months from now when a piece of gravel you missed works its way to the surface again.

Jan. 14, 2006, 4:57 p.m.

The hip ones are the worst.
I've somehow managed to stay road-rash/pedal-bash free since September, when I had to swerve to avoid getting cut off by somebody too busy on their cell-phone to acknowledge the red light they were approaching…and then blowing. I avoided him, but then I high-ended when I tried to correct my swerve.
:mad:

I do have to say that the ankle ones suck as well. I recall peeling my socks off for several days. Ouch!

South Sea-Tac Flowpark Gallery
KEEP IT GREEN!
This signature is brought to you by the letter "H" and by the number "6"

Jan. 14, 2006, 10:39 p.m.

Be glad that you didn't fracture your hip. (Quite easy to do, BTW.) Now that would have seriously sucked.

Hope you heal quick.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 15, 2006, 6:26 a.m.

Another great part of hip-rash is sticking to the sheets.

March 21, 2006, 9:52 p.m.

This happened to me last spring:

It sucked soooo bad. Took forever too heal and it always oozed out that white pus.

Rule #1 of biking: STICK TO YOUR OWN BIKE!

Austin

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

March 22, 2006, 10:26 a.m.

It sucked soooo bad. Took forever too heal and it always oozed out that white pus.

Rule #1 of biking: STICK TO YOUR OWN BIKE!

Austin

ewwwww. yeah, keep the rubber side DOWN.

I could have posted a photo of mine (it was about twice as large as subplop's), but I was polite enough to not gross everybody out. now I have a nice scar.

:censored: :censored: :censored:

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."

April 11, 2006, 12:12 p.m.

no!!!!!!!!!!

went for a spin yesterday on my roadbike and the classic horror moment happened. Yes it was a parked car door open. swerved, crashed, and now I have nice road rash alll up my leg, left arm, elbow. then even more embarassing a crowd gathered around for morbid curiosity. Happened on Marine Drive, West Van. But the good news is the bike is fine!

April 11, 2006, 1:52 p.m.

that's why I would rather piss off cars behind me by riding in the centre of a lane than ride in the door-zone…

try riding up and down burrard, hornby or howe without getting doored!

:eek2:

April 11, 2006, 2:21 p.m.

I am in pain!!! and the worst part is now that its all on my knee when it starts to heal its gonna crack when I bend it. gross. any advice on creams to minimize scarring and get it looking pretty again?

April 11, 2006, 2:30 p.m.

I am in pain!!! and the worst part is now that its all on my knee when it starts to heal its gonna crack when I bend it. gross. any advice on creams to minimize scarring and get it looking pretty again?

Did the driver at least apologize?

The best thing you can do is to prevent it from scabbing. Keep the wound moist so that it develops skin and not scab.

Also, go to somewhere like Davies Pharmacy (next to LGH) that has the compression-style hosing/netting to go over your bandages/pads. Like what the pros use when they hit the deck. The stuff can be cut to length and comes in different widths. Much better than trying to tape down your bandages on your knee, where you need the flexibility of movement.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 11, 2006, 2:46 p.m.

yeah she apologised, and felt pretty bad. especially as I was swearing like a mo fo! thanks for the advice!