How To Get Started?

July 16, 2006, 9:04 p.m.

im thinking of getting into road biking, my cousin in laws a pro rider, so he could sell me his bike at the end of the season :)

Feb. 19, 2007, 12:41 p.m.

If you want to add more variety to road riding, check out a cyclocross bike. Cyclocross rules!!!! D.

Hey Duncan, are you still rockin' the Kona for your commute?

Check out my thread asking about a cyclocross bike for commuting here:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=92714

April 14, 2008, 4:24 p.m.

I'm also thinking about getting into road riding to add to my mountain biking. After checking out a few shops the Scott Speedster S30 seems like a good entry level bike for me. Any comments / thoughts on this bike?

Thanks

April 14, 2008, 11:42 p.m.

I'm also thinking about getting into road riding to add to my mountain biking. After checking out a few shops the Scott Speedster S30 seems like a good entry level bike for me. Any comments / thoughts on this bike?

Thanks

The most important question is, does it fit you (right size)?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 15, 2008, 8:16 a.m.

Thanks

One thing you might also want to think about is whether or not you want a full on road bike. Race bikes are super fun, they are like riding a Ferrarri but they aren't super practical. If you just want to road ride, not thinking about racing, a bike like the Brodie Ronin would be a great all around bike, you could even rip the odd gravel trail, put panniers on it and go camping etc. It also comes with disc brakes so rain and foul weather isn't such a deal.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

April 15, 2008, 4:56 p.m.

If I go for a Speedster I'd be buying new from a shop that is good at fit so that shouldn't be a problem.

Barefoot, you make a good point about buying a more versatile bike. The Speedster isn't really a 'racing' bike but it is more limited than a cross style bike, especially with weather in mind. I'm torn. I don't think that my fat ass, hairy legged, baggy short wearing body would ever do a road race but want a riding experience that is different enough from just riding my old hardtail with slicks.

Jan. 1, 2009, 12:26 p.m.

So my wife and I were at the LBS and came across a 2008 Norco ORD 2, brand new, on sale 50[HTML_REMOVED]#37; off. She rides to work every day currently on a hard tail, and we like to log lots of miles in the summer doing bike tours. Is this a good bike for her to get into road riding and to use as a commuter?

I guess we're wondering if the parts would be up to the task since everywhere we read, components seem to be everything..or is that only if you are racing and want to save weight?

So yeah…is this a good bike or what??

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Jan. 1, 2009, 1:40 p.m.

So my wife and I were at the LBS and came across a 2008 Norco ORD 2, brand new, on sale 50% off. She rides to work every day currently on a hard tail, and we like to log lots of miles in the summer doing bike tours. Is this a good bike for her to get into road riding and to use as a commuter?

I guess we're wondering if the parts would be up to the task since everywhere we read, components seem to be everything..or is that only if you are racing and want to save weight?

So yeah…is this a good bike or what??

If you want to mount racks I don't believe they have rack mounts. If you want to mount racks the Norco Cross bikes allow that option.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 22, 2009, 11:05 a.m.

Posting this link for general noob reference (and so I don't have to type it out again):

Seat Height/Cleat Adjustment

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 23, 2009, 7:13 a.m.

did someone say 'cross bike ?

just happen to have one for sale . . .

June 23, 2009, 7:39 a.m.

did someone say 'cross bike ?

just happen to have one for sale . . .

You giving up Cross now? Say it isn't so.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 23, 2009, 10:09 a.m.

absolutely not . . . just giving up on this bike .

want to get something more on the road side .

i'm 'crossing on the old RM / brodie .

can't wait for 'cross season this year . . . hope to get in at least a few .

Jan. 6, 2011, 2:43 p.m.

Make sure you get properly fitted…for someone without much knowledge on road bikes or road riding test rides really will not tell you much about the bike/frame. The same can be said about DIY fit calculators, there are things that may skew the measurements that are not covered by the fit system. You really need to go to a good shop and be properly fitted. The best way is to be fitted on various frames so you can feel the differences and you can deciede, with the fitter what is the best for you. If you have out of the ordinary proportions then trying different frames will expose the sacrifices or advantages that different frame geometries can offer you. This holds true for a $1000 road bike or a 10,000 one. I have been a fitter at a shop and a proper fit really does make all the difference in Road bikes. Have seen so many customers come in with brand new bikes ill-fitting bikes and I have to try and make modifications to the fit to help the rider get some level of enjoyment out of the bike…..

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

http://www.myspace.com/readyrabbit :rocker: