Horseshoe Bay to Squamish? anyone?

July 4, 2006, 6:49 p.m.

Anyone wanna go ride horseshoe bay to squamish and if u got some left to whistler and back? weekend ish.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 5, 2006, 7:55 a.m.

so i take it no one wants to ride there?

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 5, 2006, 8:34 a.m.

Sea to Sky on the weekend. sounds fun. http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=63416

If you want to do a long ride starting from Horseshoe Bay I'd recommend going to the Sunshine Coast. you can do up to 150k with little traffic.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

July 5, 2006, 8:36 a.m.

maybe noone wants to ride there with you

July 5, 2006, 8:48 a.m.

That's a very sketchy ride Ross, be careful.

Go check out the Seymour Dam road for a fun, short ride without cars. ~22kms out and back, very windy, small rolling hills, through out the forest. Its at the end of Lillouet Rd.

July 5, 2006, 9:29 a.m.

Horseshoe bay to Squamish is a death wish. Especially on weekends.

The construction would make it tough mid week right now.

When the work is done it will be a great ride during Whistler shoulder seasons.

I'd be into a road ride if you can go mid week?

Or maybe something on Sunday while lee recovers from the Triple Crown and needs to rehab his knee.

I know a few good loops out to Buntzen Lake, or Steveston, or UBC that would be less hairy.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 5, 2006, 9:45 a.m.

Come on guys - it's Ross here - he loves to play with moving vehicles - he's the real life edition of Frogger!

none the less - lots of better rides instead of that one…

just the exhaust would kill ya.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

July 5, 2006, 10:05 a.m.

I can't believe that Horseshoe Bay to Squamish and the Demo forest are even discussed in the same ride session! the bay to Squish would be a killer - the demo is a walk in the…..well demo park.

July 5, 2006, 10:52 a.m.

Hbay to Squish would be maybe 1000m or so of climbing and about 120 - 140km total? I can think of lots of lower mainland routes which have as much without traffic.

If I lived where you did I would ride the mt baker highway and get my road riding in over that way. gorgeous rides

July 5, 2006, 12:11 p.m.

hey ross , good to see you are out there with an open mind trying out a different aspect of the same sport . see if there is a club in your area , or a training group ( check bulletin boards at LBSs' ) that you could hook up with .

they will have the down low on good routes , as well as passing on tips on techniques , equipment , and etiquette . just like MTB , you can learn alot about riding road by riding with persons better than yourself , and i don't just mean getting your ass kicked in the fitness department .

like lee said there are some good routes out in the valley . i'd strongly recommend staying away from the sea to sky until after the construction is done , but if you want bring your bike to whistler there is a great ride from pemberton to darcy .

i'm getting back into the road thing a bit myself . my car kinda told me to fuck off a little while back so i got a BOB trailer to transport the dog to work and have set up the old brodie as a road ripper . i do a short valley trail tour on the way into work , and a longer loop on the way home .

July 5, 2006, 1:19 p.m.

thx for the advice. I need to do a longer ride, on google map it says 49.4k from horseshoe bay to squamish.

i not tired after ladner to softball city in whiterock and back.. I just thought it be more of a step up. Plus I need people to ride with when i dont know my way around.

Thanks for the advice tho! I love this roadbike getting back into my super long distance riding stage again, sorta scary. Might do Peace arch to seattle in few weeks.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

July 5, 2006, 1:59 p.m.

Thanks for the advice tho! I love this roadbike getting back into my super long distance riding stage again, sorta scary. Might do Peace arch to seattle in few weeks.

You sound like a perfect candidate for randonneuring.

Maybe you should contact these guys for organized rides:

http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/index.html

Biggest randonneur ride in the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris-Brest-Paris

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 5, 2006, 2:10 p.m.

I can't believe that Horseshoe Bay to Squamish and the Demo forest are even discussed in the same ride session! the bay to Squish would be a killer - the demo is a walk in the…..well demo park.

Its not an alternative, its a fun and easy way to put in a power effort, as an example. Don't knock it until you can ride it at full pace = quality work out. My wife, a former BC road champ, would use this little route for her TT training. You have to know how to ride it.

Ross, if you want length and some quality miles, Richmond is right there.

July 5, 2006, 2:18 p.m.

Its not an alternative, its a fun and easy way to put in a power effort, as an example. Don't knock it until you can ride it at full pace = quality work out. My wife, a former BC road champ, would use this little route for her TT training. You have to know how to ride it.

Amen to that. Pound it up the hills, recuperate on the flat or downs. Rinse and Repeat. Do it as many times as needed and no chance of getting smoked by a car. Fun ride… makes me want to head there right now (if my tires didn't keep exploding that is).

July 5, 2006, 2:28 p.m.

(if my tires didn't keep exploding that is).

Did you sort out that problem yet?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk