Honest Road Bike Reviews

March 25, 2014, 11:46 a.m.

Any good recommendations for sources with honest road bike reviews?
I know everyone has an opinion but I'm trying to cut through the typical 'praise' reviews to see the big picture. For example;
- I understand Ridley had a few years of making cockeyed frames, when was this?
- Nobody talks about Felt because they have no style, are they good bikes?
- Cinelli make great bikes but they're overpriced for what you get, why?

Let 'er fly!

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

March 25, 2014, 12:38 p.m.

www.roadbikereview.com/[HTML_REMOVED]#8206;

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

March 25, 2014, 12:38 p.m.

I like road bike review's forums

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forum.php

March 25, 2014, 12:49 p.m.

Any good recommendations for sources with honest road bike reviews?
I know everyone has an opinion but I'm trying to cut through the typical 'praise' reviews to see the big picture. For example;
- I understand Ridley had a few years of making cockeyed frames, when was this?
- Nobody talks about Felt because they have no style, are they good bikes?
- Cinelli make great bikes but they're overpriced for what you get, why?

Let 'er fly!

You're not wrong about Cinelli having premium pricing generally (that's just where they've positioned the brand; no different than Santa Cruz extracting a premium for a frame) but I would recommend going into Strada Cycles and talking to Jason or Joey-Lee (husband/wife team who own the shop). I ended up buying my gf a Cinelli Saetta with Campy Athena from there and it turned out as a pretty good deal in the end. They were also very good about doing proper test rides vs. parking lot tests (I ended up buying myself a Bianchi based on a 40km test ride).

I hear ya on the 'praise' reviews - only way to figure out whether you like them is to ride them!

March 25, 2014, 2:20 p.m.

Or you could draw on our collective wisdom.

Bad road bike choices tend to revolve around buying the wrong size or wrong tool for your application. I can think of few "bad" mainstream frames, brands, or component groups.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 25, 2014, 4:07 p.m.

No doubt, I've come around to the idea of buying from a solid LBS instead of used or from MEC (no disrespect) for a proper fitting and selection.

Again I'm thinking of big picture warning signs of frames, brands, components to avoid.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.

March 25, 2014, 4:54 p.m.

Again I'm thinking of big picture warning signs of frames, brands, components to avoid.

Again, I can't think of a mainstream frame or brand to uniformly avoid or that is a dog (other than Costco/Walmart/CT bikes). Road bikes just don't get enough abuse to see tons of failures. It is more about price point, getting sized properly, and right bike for right application.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 25, 2014, 5:50 p.m.

I'll say "Cervelo" … frames have a lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship and materials excluding paint and decals.

March 25, 2014, 7:44 p.m.

I understand Ridley had a few years of making cockeyed frames, when was this?

Everyone's hating on Ridley right now because industry drama and MEC.

Nobody talks about Felt because they have no style, are they good bikes?

Nobody talks about Felt because they dump their money into R[HTML_REMOVED]D and not advertising. The new AR's look great!

Cinelli make great bikes but they're overpriced for what you get, why?

Cinelli reinvigorated their brand via lifestyle appeal, and that can sometimes create a backlash. For an A-level brand, their pricing is extremely attractive; a Saetta Radical is almost identically priced to every other identically-spec'ed 105-level bike on the market.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

March 25, 2014, 9:12 p.m.

Or you could draw on our collective wisdom.

Collective wisdom is a valuable resource, but it comes with the caveat that there's no browser plug-in currently available to filter out the BS.

Bad road bike choices tend to revolve around buying the wrong size or wrong tool for your application. I can think of few "bad" mainstream frames, brands, or component groups.

THIS. A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions

March 26, 2014, 8:07 a.m.

No doubt, I've come around to the idea of buying from a solid LBS instead of used or from MEC (no disrespect) for a proper fitting and selection.

MEC on Broadway has a proper fitting room.

Again, if you like the colour and the image that the brand portrays (if that matters….) then just buy the bike that fits your body and wallet.

treezz
wow you are a ass