Help me make a few purchase's

April 21, 2014, 12:10 a.m.

Looking for some help making a few purchase's, Long story short, I ride all kinds of mountain bikes, Dh, Am, Xc [HTML_REMOVED] Dj, I've now expanded even more and got a new cx bike which will see road duty all summer and possibly a cx race or two next winter, but like I said all road for the next while, Now being a total noob in this road stuff, I need a few things, first and foremost, is shoes and pedals, I'm a flats for life kinda guy and know nothing of clipping in, next id like to get some sort of speedo/gps thing to track my riding and yes I do use strava so if there's something affordable kind does it all please let me know, and last but not least should I buy a nice saddle, is there big difference between a road saddle and a xc saddle? well thanks ahead for any advice or input you may have, thanks.

http://carcraftautorepair.ca/

Follow Us On FaceBook

April 21, 2014, 8:28 a.m.

GPS - Garmin Edge 200 will give you what you want without all the extras of the 500 like heart rate, etc.

As far as pedals, if you are going to race CX you should go with double sided MTB style clipless pedals. I like Shimano, with cage just because those are the type I am used to from MTB. The M530 are the cheaper ones, or you can go XT or XTR.

A saddle is a saddle…find one that fits your body.

The cool thing about CX bikes is doing road rides that also involve some trails. Even easy trails are a lot of fun on a CX bike.

April 21, 2014, 10:56 a.m.

For clipless pedals, Shimano SPD (XC/cyclocross) and SPD-SL (road) would be a good place to start and are widely available including used (Craigslist). Road pedals are really the best for road riding because of having a wide platform, but SPDs can do for double duty.

I would play it safe and pair Shimano shoes with Shimano pedals, also widely available and reasonably priced.

I had the Garmin 200 and it's fine for road but not for off-road/heavily wooded. You could also just use Strava on your phone.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 21, 2014, 12:13 p.m.

do yourself a favour and buy some periods while you're at it.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 21, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

do yourself a favour and buy some periods while you're at it.

Also, some capital letters.

April 21, 2014, 1:30 p.m.

Also, some capital letters.

nah, i think he had some in there.

re the op, do you run clipless pedal on any of your mtb's? if so or you're planning to consider a pedal/cleat system that you can use on both bikes so you can run one shoe if you want to keep costs down.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 21, 2014, 8:21 p.m.

Shorts. Buy proper riding shorts. If you are going to do any serious distances, chamois butter is also a nice little extra to through into the accessory bin. If you really want to treat yourself to something nice snag some bib shorts… once you do, you'll have a tough time wearing regular shorts.

I second/third a MTB clipless system, particularly if you plan on racing cx next season. For shoes - stiff soul and light weight are your goals. Buy the pair that fit the best, regardless of price. Same as a helmet - if it's not comfortable, you're not going to like it/them. What works for one person isn't necessarily going to work for another. Mavic make a nice MTB race shoe with good rubber on it(read that as you won't slip and break a hip on your wood floor, or in the coffee shop, or in the grocery store etc). They run you $149…

April 21, 2014, 9:05 p.m.

He said he runs flats on the mtn bikes.

I run a pair of XTR Race pedals and Giro Code shoes on the road bike.

I'd say get he proper Lycra kit. I picked up a few pairs of Pearl Izumi bib shorts.
Or if you plan on doing some cruise-y rides where you don't want to look the roadie part, the new Giro merino wool stuff is pretty nice but a lil expensive, $150 for a crew Tee w/back pockets. If I commuted I'd cop that stuff.
A road helmet as well. I've been ridin with my Trabec, but will pick up a proper one soon.
The saddle on my road bike is longer than the Deva on my other two bikes. The Moon saddle seemed to be the same length though.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 21, 2014, 11:08 p.m.

Thanks everyone, So I ended up getting some crankbros eggbeater 3's, I got shoes that had some grip for walking as well. It took me a few mins to figure the clip in motion but after a few tries and riding around it became much easier. Once I got my seat height dialled in I went for a 30km test run and my only really concern is wind noise, It was quite loud at times . Now I'm not to sure if this is due to my helmet and or sun glasses ( was wearing my mtb lid, Giro xen) but I guess I should buy a proper lid as well.

Follow Us On FaceBook

April 22, 2014, 4:28 p.m.

Thanks everyone, So I ended up getting some crankbros

everyone in this thread has failed

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 22, 2014, 5:04 p.m.

I actually, for real LOL'd.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ride, don't slide.

April 22, 2014, 6:36 p.m.

Lol…I'm pretty sure the first 2 replies mentioned Shimano.

April 23, 2014, 9:05 a.m.

Lol…I'm pretty sure the first 2 replies mentioned Shimano.

Haha yes I know, but I liked the idea of the multi entry for on off, especially since ive never ridden clipped in. So well see how it turns out. If all else fails ill end up in some shimano's.

Follow Us On FaceBook

April 23, 2014, 7:01 p.m.

I liked the idea of disposable pedals, especially since ive never ridden clipped in. When they fail ill end up in some shimano's.

FYP;)

Oh get a high pressure floor pump unless you like getting an arm workout

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.