- winter training (riding up the sea-to-sky on the shitty shoulder),
- commuting (9km each way),
- might do the occasional camping overnighter with loaded panniers,
- might do some logging road exploring.
Hmmm. Mid market I guess. I'm not after bargain basement nor true top end stuff. My maxim is best-bang-for-the-buck and if there's a big step up in performance for a relatively small amount of money, I'm ok with that but I'm not into marginal gains!. 105 level should be fine.
- Decent tyre clearance but chain stays need to be quite short (I'm used to riding a road bike with VERY short chain stays and I like the snappy acceleration)
- Drop bars/STi (prefer Shimano over SRAM but not fixed one way or another)
- Proper fender mounts
- Proper rack mounts (F+R would be good but front not absolutely essential)
Must not have:
- giant gate-like appearance (I'm 6'4" so I know the head tube is gonna be somewhat long)
- Don't want to have to resort a big stack of headset spacers either
- "Excess weight" - 23lb or less would be nice
- Was looking at a CX bike but don't want anything with too high a BB
Starting point so far is the 2014 Brodie Romax (@ $1800). What else is out there?