Gravel Biking.

Nov. 2, 2021, 8:22 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

6061, what do you mean by ‘handle’? Be stable and safe to ride at speed? Pick slowly around the rocks? Get down multiple times without breaking?

Old Buck and Baden Powell up to Powerlines and back; Hyannis trail to Bridal down to Fishermans/Twin Bridges and back, no problem.

XC singletrack around the Seymour golf course and the techy parts of Bridal, sure, but at your own risk, picking your way slowly through. Challenging and slow for sure.

Expresso, Empress, High School certainly not recommended. Get a mountain bike.

Please read the Giant website about what a gravel bike is intended for. IMO, green circle Shore trails are pushing the limits if they aren't crushed gravel.

“Whether you’re racing a gravel grinder or exploring backcountry roads, we have the perfect gravel endurance bike to ride variable terrain.”

If I could actually buy a gravel bike (easier said than done currently!), I'd be looking at the monster cross end of the spectrum (e.g. Kona Sutra LTD is front runner from what I've seen so far...)

The idea is to get out and explore off-the-beaten-path using FSRs to access rather than just crushed gravel on the edge of urban areas, so reasonably able to handle pretty rough stuff whilst being efficient getting into the backcountry.

I have a 160mm FS for mountain biking duties so anything at the limits of a gravel bike would be slow and steady, or get-off-and-walk but not something I'd be trying to ride regularly.

I also want to do something stupid like the BC trail (there, I've said it!) and I think a drop bar bike would be more efficient for that type of riding...

I'd anyone has any leads on any suitable bikes in L/XL (58-61cm) actually in stock locally (Lower Mainland/FV/S2S), let me know. Am also considering slightly used. Must have clearance for 2.0"/50mm tires!

I'm also considering an XC MTB (rigid or HT) onto which I could put some Surly Corner bars that provide a variety of hand positions (and vaguely aero) like a drop bar but allow MTB shifters and brakes to be used...

Again, any leads on something in stock gratefully received...

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on Nov. 2, 2021, 8:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 3, 2021, 5:54 a.m.

More like a rigid steel drop bike then?  Like what some use for long distance offroad (eg Arctic Ocean to Vancouver on FSR or wilderness trail)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSEjxZcgkPi/?utm_medium=copy_link

Nov. 3, 2021, 6:08 a.m.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a Revolt on backcountry FSRs or Chilcotin or Kamloops bike-packing though, if thats what you mean.   No problem at all, thats their intent.

Nov. 3, 2021, 8:49 p.m.

6061:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV0WTO_rJz7/?utm_medium=copy_link

Nov. 3, 2021, 9:54 p.m.

Just my my Search XR. It's totally not too small for you (55cm so yeah it's way too small for you), it'll be fine I swear.

Nov. 3, 2021, 11:18 p.m.

Test

6061:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV0WTO_rJz7/?utm_medium=copy_link

Out of stock in my size, unfortunately. Thanks for the tip!

Nov. 4, 2021, 7:01 a.m.

Last try to shop vicariously…

https://www.laufcycling.com/cart

XL in Stock.  A friend just got one, was raving about the quick delivery and lack of customs and duties, he hadn't ridden it yet when I spoke to him last.

Nov. 5, 2021, 7:51 p.m.

I got leads on two potential bikes in stock and in my size locally but neither have stock tires as wide as I'd like.

So, if I get either of them, I'd be swapping out the tires immediately. 

What is the gravel tire of choice for BC (Lower Mainland)? 

I'm not a serial tire swapper so after a good arounder at the fatter end of the spectrum 45 mm or up. 

I'll have a second pair of wheels which will be equipped with 25mm slick road tires so the I don't need to compromise too much...

Nov. 5, 2021, 11:40 p.m.

the new giant revolt is nice, and there should be stock soon

Nov. 13, 2021, 8:13 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Setting up my hardtail with rigid fork to do some of this type of riding.

What are you guys running for tires? 

There seems to be a ton of options. 

My inclination is to run something closer to an xc tire than a true gravel tire but, maybe that's my mountain bike bias/ignorance due to not wanting to get too far outside my comfort zone.  

That said on a ride of fisherman's I could see myself diverting to bridal path. I think I won't be able to resist riding the odd trail so thats why I'm thinking something like a schwalbe thunder burt or g-one bite is just not enough tire to avoid death.  That said something like an Xr4 or rocket Ron is maybe overkill. 

Maybe something like xr3 or racing ray/racing Ralph, or conti cross king?

I’m really, really far from a gravel expert but I set up my rigid MTB with Maxxis Ikons for that type of riding.  I only chose them because they were cheap and available; in reality I looked at any number of other semi slick tires in the 2.2-2.4” range.  I’m certainly not in a hurry when I’m out for a ride but pumped up to 50psi they roll pretty well on pavement and when I want to link up some rougher FSR’s with the pavement I just drop the pressure.  If the way home after said FSR’s involved a lot of pavement again I’ll stop for a snack and up the pressure again.  

Like I said, I’m pretty casual about this type of bike ride so stopping to fiddle with tire pressure once in a while is no big deal.  Sometimes if I’m only riding FSR’s I strap a single shot shotgun to the side of the frame for hunting grouse along the sides of the road so its safe to say I’m probably commenting from the outer fringes of “real” gravel riding right now.  It’s all riding bikes though so to me, it’s pretty enjoyable.

Nov. 25, 2021, 8:50 p.m.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWuJt8RJUHz/?utm_medium=copy_link

No bikes allowed on Stanley Park gravel roads?   Give @vorcabike a follow

Nov. 27, 2021, 8:25 a.m.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWuJt8RJUHz/?utm_medium=copy_link

No bikes allowed on Stanley Park gravel roads?   Give @vorcabike a follow

Hmmmm, how did I miss those signs? I've been biking on those fairly regularly. I'll look for the signs next time I'm there.

Nov. 27, 2021, 2:28 p.m.

Predictable with the advent of e-bikes.

Dec. 28, 2021, 7:25 p.m.

Well, just had a couple of days of superb "gravel" riding in the snow on my Diverge. Swapped out stock tires for 45mm tubeless Maxxis Rambler and the grip and traction on the current dry snow is amazing.

Get it while you can!

Nov. 7, 2022, 4:53 p.m.

I'm sure most people that even casually follow cycling news are aware of the murder of Moriah Wilson. This article digs pretty deep into the background of the story, and it's pretty bonkers. A crazy mix of a douchey dude (the main factor), the power imbalance in male dominated sports, how social media is used for self-promotion by athletes, the never ending need to sell more bikes, and even gun culture. Worth a read.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/11/14/a-murder-roils-the-cycling-world

Last edited by: PaulB on Nov. 7, 2022, 5:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.