Grand Tour Excitement

May 27, 2014, 10:20 p.m.

Good ride from Hesjedal today but in the end I think Quintana will win buy minutes. He should massacre the field on the Zoncolan.

Sure he can't TT himself out of a paper bag but there's a big old hill in the TT so it's not like the others will pull massive time back. It'll be good to see him V's Froome in the TDF next year as I reckon Fromme will murder Contador/Nibali again this year. Thing is, Froome is rapid in the TT so Quintana will have to drop him in the mountains, which frankly sounds impossible!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 28, 2014, 12:47 p.m.

I would not be so sure about Fromme and the Tour. He has not had a good early season. Contador on the other hand has had a great Spring.

May 28, 2014, 8:35 p.m.

I agree it was crap early on but by Romandie he was tearing the legs off everyone. I like Contador regardless of the steak ;) but Froome is going to be impossible to beat for a while IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV47MQWsR0E

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 29, 2014, 9:32 a.m.

Ryder moved up a couple spots again today, most notably passing Cadel who lost about 1 1/2 minutes. But Quintana still gaining on the fields a few seconds here, a few seconds there …

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 29, 2014, 11:32 a.m.

Unless Quintana blows up he has this.

There should be a fierce battle between Rolland and Aru for that third step over the next two stages.

May 29, 2014, 11:50 a.m.

Good ride from Hesjedal today but in the end I think Quintana will win buy minutes. He should massacre the field on the Zoncolan.

Sure he can't TT himself out of a paper bag but there's a big old hill in the TT so it's not like the others will pull massive time back.

I think he'll do well in the TT. 1500 metres of elevation in 20km will be quite the grunt.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 29, 2014, 8:55 p.m.

I think he'll do well in the TT. 1500 metres of elevation in 20km will be quite the grunt.

The commentators today mentioned Hesjedal as one of the riders who could make big gains on field in the mountain TT stage. He's shown he does have the big engine, but he's also had a few days of strong riding leading up to this. Hopefully he's got lots of gas in the tank tomorrow. Zoncolan on Saturday will separate the men from the boys.

May 29, 2014, 9:22 p.m.

I think he's too far behind. That first day was very unfortunate for him.

I think Uran could make up some time.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 30, 2014, 9:36 a.m.

Quintana killed it in the ITT. Ryder 26th, slips back to 9th in GC.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 30, 2014, 10:02 a.m.

Bummer about the dropped chain for Hesjedal, but he looked like he was hurting. Hopefully he's got enough left to stay in the top ten.

June 15, 2014, 9 p.m.

Unbelievable stage today and sets up an all-out war for the TDF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quMeFvEMC0o

- Morgman

June 16, 2014, 12:36 a.m.

The last two stages at Dauphine were great to watch. Awesome to see Ryder pull for Talanksky.

Poor Contador thought Sky might help him get up to the first group. He should have launched sooner.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 17, 2014, 12:36 p.m.

He was too busy watching Froome wasn't he? If he'd realised how cooked he was he'd gave gone much earlier I think.

- Morgman

June 17, 2014, 12:55 p.m.

Hopefully we get an exciting TDF this year. I really don't want to watch Fromme looking at his power meter all day long having a domestique cut wind for him all day.

June 17, 2014, 12:57 p.m.

Or maybe Froome will not recover from his scrapes and Wiggins will step in. :alien:

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells