Giro 2012 Ryder Hesjedal Thread ( spoiler alert!))

May 28, 2012, 6:48 a.m.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/news/canadas-cycling-greats-react-to-hesjedals-historic-giro-win_221549

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 28, 2012, 8:34 a.m.

pretty cool that ryder, svein, and christian are all products of the grassroots racing scene in BC…

May 28, 2012, 9:14 a.m.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/news/canadas-cycling-greats-react-to-hesjedals-historic-giro-win_221549

Palmer-Komar described Hesjedal as “the greatest athlete in Canada now,” and was firm in her opinion that he deserves to represent Canada at the Olympics.

What a great Toronto story :)… Don't think Hesjedal deserves to represent Canada at the Olympics just because he won the Giro. Completely different races. The Olympic road course sounds like a sprinter's race (?) totally unsuited to Hesjedal. Time trial? He is good, but probably not TT podium material. If he races the TDF, it is very unlikely he will be at his peak for the Olympics which start just 6 days after the 21st Stage of the TDF. I think most riders, given the choice, would rather win a stage at the TDF than an Olympic gold medal. Not saying one is better than the other, but its like a hockey player choosing between holding the Stanley Cup and an Olympic medal.

May 28, 2012, 9:24 a.m.

deserves - yes. should - probably not.

I agree on the road race but who's podium material then in the TT? Svein? Ryder beat him yesterday after busting his ass in the mountains.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

May 28, 2012, 10:52 a.m.

deserves - yes. should - probably not.

I agree on the road race but who's podium material then in the TT? Svein? Ryder beat him yesterday after busting his ass in the mountains.

TT is more often about motivation, and course terrain, weather and distance than anything else.

In fact, Rodriguez had competed head-to-head against Hesjedal three times before in the TT, once in 2009, once in 2010 and once this year. Rodriguez beat Hesjedal's time all 3 times. Courses can be hilly, flat, wet, dry, short or long (20 km to ~ 50 km) or any combination of these. Motivation is also a big factor. In a couple of the races mentioned before, Rodriguez was riding for an over all win or a higher placing. Hesjedal was not. For Hesjedal, yesterday was do-or-die in the TT. Tuft, probably not so much, after his first ever Grand Tour. Tuft is the 7-time Canadian TT champion and has a World Championship silver medal in TT, so he's been there and has the potential to go far. They will select Canada's single slot in both road and TT based on qualifications, which Hesjedal may or may not choose to attend (no doubt there will be a lot of pressure on him to).

For a domestique like Tuft in only his second season as a Protour rider, finishing 9th after hammering 2000+ miles in 23 days probably for the first time in his life, is pretty respectable.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/05/news/giro-notebook-stage-20-ryder-purito-head-to-head-in-tt-cav-loses-points-jersey-hunter-others-kicked-out_221257

May 28, 2012, 11:14 a.m.

I think most riders, given the choice, would rather win a stage at the TDF than an Olympic gold medal.

I think it comes down to the person. For some the stage win at the TDF is tops, for others the Olympic experience would win out.

I remember the first year pros were allowed to participate. The best of the best were all jostling to get a spot because even to them the Olympics were special.

May 28, 2012, 11:56 a.m.

For Hesjedal, yesterday was do-or-die in the TT. Tuft, probably not so much, after his first ever Grand Tour. Tuft is the 7-time Canadian TT champion and has a World Championship bronze medal in TT, so he's been there and has the potential to go far. They will select Canada's single slot in both road and TT based on qualifications

This was Tuft's third Grand Tour (Giro '12 [HTML_REMOVED] '10, Vuelta '09)

The catch this year is that, unlike previous Olympics, all TT competitors must also ride the road race. In the past, we would have been able to send someone for the road race, and someone for the TT. Since we can only send one rider for both, I'd put my money on whoever looks like the best bet to place well in the TT. Probably Tuft based on past results, and assuming he's on form in July.

May 28, 2012, 12:20 p.m.

This was Tuft's third Grand Tour (Giro '12 [HTML_REMOVED] '10, Vuelta '09)

You are correct … but he didn't finish the 09 Vuelta (he pulled out after Stage 15), presumably because he was using it as a tune-up for the World Championships.

The catch this year is that, unlike previous Olympics, all TT competitors must also ride the road race. In the past, we would have been able to send someone for the road race, and someone for the TT. Since we can only send one rider for both, I'd put my money on whoever looks like the best bet to place well in the TT. Probably Tuft based on past results, and assuming he's on form in July.

Agree with this … the rider who has the best race/s on similar courses before the Olympics should go. I believe Hesjedal has given a lot of Canadian qualifying races a miss in the last few years. The top pros in countries where the locals aren't completely crazy about road racing and ProTour and most of the field are amateurs and semi-pros often don't compete in their country's national championships. Its often an opportunity to give up-and-comers their time to shine.

May 28, 2012, 1:06 p.m.

hes-je-dal
verb
hes-je-dal’ed, hes-je-dal’ing
1. to physically dominate ones cycling opponents through superior training, endurance, and skill
2. to secure the win on the last day of a contest
3. to crush.

May 28, 2012, 1:18 p.m.

In fact, Rodriguez had competed head-to-head against Hesjedal three times before in the TT, once in 2009, once in 2010 and once this year. Rodriguez beat Hesjedal's time all 3 times.

Almost correct.

Stage one of this year's Giro had Ryder up by 14 seconds.

2010 TdF Prologue Results:
37. Ryder Hesjedal Garmin-Transitions at 00:46
115. Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver Katusha Team at 01:08

2010 TdF Stage 19 ITT Results:
52 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Transitions 0:06:40
Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha 0:10:17

In the short stage one of the 2009 Vuelta, Rodriguez beat Ryder by 1 second. In the longer second ITT, the spaniard was up by 35 seconds. Ryder was out of the race before the third ITT.

May 28, 2012, 1:26 p.m.

little reminder that svein had a little silver medal from world TT a few years back - svein is our best chance for a medal in mens cycling (TT)… really who do we have that is going to compete on that road course? Best bet Dom Rollin if he was on form? It's going to be a carbon copy of worlds last year… (100km GB leadout train)

May 28, 2012, 1:50 p.m.

Road bikes are going to be selling like hotcakes now. Gran Fondo registration is going to get mental.

Way to go, Ryder! Proud to be Canadian!

Wrong. Always.

May 28, 2012, 3:44 p.m.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/anthony-tan/blog/126185/Giro-Files:-Ryder,-no-Hesje-tation

May 28, 2012, 4:49 p.m.

By the way, that's a nice looking trophy.

Wrong. Always.

May 28, 2012, 6:39 p.m.

little reminder that svein had a little silver medal from world TT a few years back - svein is our best chance for a medal in mens cycling (TT)… really who do we have that is going to compete on that road course? Best bet Dom Rollin if he was on form? It's going to be a carbon copy of worlds last year… (100km GB leadout train)

I believe Canada is limited (by its world ranking) to ONE selection for road racing. So that one rider has to race both the road and TT.

Don't be fooled by Svein's performance in big races. In the big races, he is a domestique and has to stick with a program in support of his more senior team mates. But he has great potential. Out of the spotlight, there is a little more room for improvisation and risk taking.

Here is what one rider tweeted after Stage 2 of the early season's 2012 Tirreno Adriatico:

"Ride of the day.. No, make that ride of the millennium, goes to GreenEDGE's Svein Tuft. 200km ALONE controlling the peloton! Respect."

The guy who tweeted that is Mark Cavendish.