Giro 2012 Ryder Hesjedal Thread ( spoiler alert!))

May 19, 2012, 11:16 a.m.

well planned attack by ryder today , stage 14 .

May 19, 2012, 12:21 p.m.

Great effort Ryder!!!

also, Italian podium sluts ftw

May 23, 2012, 9:34 a.m.

another great ride by Ryder today, good job on that last climb to stay in the hunt!

May 23, 2012, 10:56 a.m.

The leaders all looked pretty equal today, which is good news for Ryder if that holds true through the last two climbing stages. Both Rodriguez and Basso admit he'll likely dust them in the time trial.

May 23, 2012, 11:32 a.m.

Looking good for Ryder. Hope he can hang with the wheels and ride smart up to the TT.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 23, 2012, 1:15 p.m.

Poll: are we possibly witnessing the biggest event in Canadian Men's Cycling?

May 23, 2012, 1:22 p.m.

Two BIG high mtn days still to come but he looks just as good as Basso and Purito over the big climbs at the moment. Only thing that really scares me for him is the Mortirolo which is crazy steep as he is a bit of a diesel compared to the others. They will do everything to lose him there to get some time in hand for the TT on the Stelvio. So excited to watch Sat. and Sunday's stages - might just do so at Musette Cafe!

May 23, 2012, 1:23 p.m.

Yes - most important event in Canadian cycling period - but maybe I'm just bitter because Alison never smiles/waves back at me on the road….

May 23, 2012, 2:54 p.m.

For sure IF he wins. Maybe this will prompt CBC to pick up the live feed and broadcast it nationally. One can dream…

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 23, 2012, 4:13 p.m.

For sure IF he wins. Maybe this will prompt CBC to pick up the live feed and broadcast it nationally. One can dream…

Doubt it … its still a fringe sport, no matter how you look at it. Maybe a 1 or 2 hour condensed summary post-race ("Wide World of Sports") like the Tour De France on network TV before the days of specialty cable. Besides, Rogers Sportsnet own the rights to much of the main cycling events (including the Giro and Vuelta - TSN owns the TDF). Also, I don't think CBC Sports is that great to begin with anyway. They have been sucking on the teat of NHL hockey for too long and have gotten fat and lazy in the process.

Anyway, a lot the internet feeds are pretty good these days. You can watch the RAI camera feed of the Giro (seemed to be the best), muted, on one stream open another tab and turn up the commentary from Stephen Roche on Eurosport (awesome commentary and insight from a guy who won the Giro, the TDF and the World Championship all in the same year) on another stream and you're done. None of this CBC Bryan Williams crap. Universal Sports commentary isn't that good with pretty much zero knowledge of cycling history and the constant fear of insulting the intelligence of viewers or confusing them with foreign-sounding words commonly used in cycling, like "domestique", "autobus" or "grupetto". Who are they? They sound like 2 college fraternity brothers who were given the job because they went backpacking in Europe last summer.

May 23, 2012, 4:33 p.m.

Doubt it …

I don't care about the coverage myself, but it would be nice exposure for the masses.

Back to the subject at hand. It took a few years, but I'm glad that Ryder dumped the 26" wheels.

May 23, 2012, 8:48 p.m.

Rode the Passo di Giau a few times. Probably the most scenic climb I've down and definitely a grunt. would like to do the Stelvio at some point

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

May 24, 2012, 6:31 a.m.

If you bet $100 on Ryder winning the Giro, you could be $5100 richer by Sunday.

LOL bookie odds:

Michele Scarponi @ 4.00 Victor Chandler Betting Bonus
Ivan Basso @ 5.50 Stan James Betting Bonus
Roman Kreuziger @ 10.00 Youwin Betting Bonus
Jose Rujano @ 12.00 Goldbet Betting Bonus
Frank Schleck @ 13.00 Boylesports Betting Bonus
Domenico Pozzovivo 19.00 888 Sport Betting Bonus
Joaquin Rodriguez @ 18.00 Victor Chandler Betting Bonus
Damiano Cunego @ 21.00 Paddy Power Betting Bonus
John Gadret @ 26.00 Ladbrokes Betting Bonus
Ryder Hesjedal @ 51.00 Victor Chandler Betting Bonus

http://www.betandskill.com/2012-giro-ditalia-betting-preview-odds-and-predictions.html

May 24, 2012, 8:55 a.m.

I don't care about the coverage myself, but it would be nice exposure for the masses.

Back to the subject at hand. It took a few years, but I'm glad that rider dumped the 26" wheels.

there we go.. another 26 vs 29 thread :D

May 24, 2012, 9:15 a.m.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/easy-ryder-quiet-hesjedal-one-to-watch-20120524-1z7rl.html