Found a smoking deal on a "vintage" road ride, now for a project

April 18, 2016, 9:15 a.m.

Was browsing Kijiji and came across two road bikes for $50, amazingly both my size at approx. 60cm.

Turns out one of them is a hand built Proctor-Townsend out of Reynolds 753, the other a Mariushi. I didn't know much about the PTF brand but they were made in Edmonton in the 80s and from what I understand Brad Proctor was one of the guys. I'm pretty sure this Brad Proctor is the same one from the SSC that first opened Off the Edge Cycling in the early 2000s - back then I recall him saying he used to build frames. Kind of a neat history.

It has a full Dura-Ace build, Mavic Open 4CD rims, and time trial bars and shifters. It tracks straight and feels like a great ride just off my quick ride around the neighborhood. The thing even has internally routed cable for the rear brake, it looks like an original addition.

I'm going to tear the PTF apart this year, strip the paint, and hopefully if the rust isn't too bad I'll have it fully finished and ready for riding. I'm going to try retain the headbadge area untouched to keep at least one piece of the brand on it. I'll toss on a new drive train, likely with STI.

I've always enjoyed bike history and have been wanting a steel road bike for some time now. This will probably cost me more than just buying new off the shelf but its going to be a fun project.

The whole bike

Internally routed cable and signature sticker by Townsend

8-speed and shifts crisp considering the age

View from the front. Hopefully there is minimal/no rust in the area and I can retain the headbadge decal.

April 18, 2016, 9:48 a.m.

whoa, I just found a site that actually carries Proctor-Townsend Frames replacement decals.

I love the internetz.

April 18, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

Nice find. The huge phallic symbol/Scott bar extensions are a plus. 8-speed DA was a good looking group.

Throw up some pics of the Maruishi. The company my dad worked for used to distribute those.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 19, 2016, 9:19 a.m.

I don't know much about the Mariushi. It has a generic "Shimano" groupset on it, went for a spin on it last night and it rides well enough - I'll likely transfer over a bunch of the parts from the PTF to it and make it a winter ride. It doesn't appear to have any major rust on it so I probably won't strip it bear like I will with the PTF.

April 20, 2016, 8:01 p.m.

whoa, I just found a site that actually carries Proctor-Townsend Frames replacement decals.

I love the internetz.

That's good 'cause saving those through a re-paint woulda' been a royal pita for it to come out looking good.

I'm thinkin' you might want to do some kind or rust inhibitor/chemical neutralizer inside the tubes you have access to well before you start the strip/paint process.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 23, 2016, 8:02 p.m.

Kim Steed's wife is a Townsend I believe. Her folks owned that Edmonton shop. Nice find indeed.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

April 23, 2016, 8:28 p.m.

Wow, I remember those Proctor Townsends back in the day racing Tri in Van.

Funny looking at the old era Scott Bolt on's, holy shit we where so far forward back then.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 9, 2017, 4 p.m.

A little teaser of what's coming up this spring now that it is back from the powder coaters.

May 30, 2017, 1:26 p.m.

Shared a full update of the completed rig here