Fix the hub, fix the problem

Sept. 21, 2006, 7:50 a.m.

Looking at getting a fixie for winter training, anyone out there on one? The other question, is there any one else than Mighty Riders in Van that sells flipflop hubs and fixie frames?. Thinking of the Surly Steamroller. I know there is a bit of a track scene too but I am going to be road riding. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Sept. 21, 2006, 10:58 a.m.

I have been thinking of converting a old road bike I have to a fixed gear.Check this out if you have'nt already.http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

Sept. 21, 2006, 3:05 p.m.

Thanks I've seen that site before.
I was also thinking of finding a lugged 80's road frame with horizontal dropouts stripping it down and getting a fixed hub. Need to keep it cheap. Have to sell my old freeride bike first.

Sept. 21, 2006, 8:31 p.m.

Damn, i typed a huge post and then f2cked it up. The gist was

Go fixed, dont waste time with fixed/free

There are loads of good completes out there SBC langster is less than $800

Dont buy a steamroller - i have owned one - unless you have a whole bikes worth of mediocre parts that need somewhere to be. It is too expensive to do a cheap build on, and to heavy to do a nice build on - there are much nicer frames.

If you want to borrow one to try out, Give me a PM. I am spreading the revolution. I just persuaded the boss to give it a go - ideally getting some club riding done.

F$ck i love fixed gear bikes. Man give me a PM if you have any questions. I'd love to help you out.

Yes mighty Riders is the best source for off the shelf parts - i dont know what range they have, but surly parts at least. OOh speaking of which, my Pauls Comp rear hub should be here in a couple of weeks; if you need a wheel you could have my old one (surly on cxp).

Sept. 21, 2006, 8:35 p.m.

I have been thinking of converting a old road bike I have to a fixed gear.Check this out if you have'nt already.http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

Pfft - this is the resource (sorry sheldon) the place

Edit - JH will have Pauls Comp hubs, and Dura ace pretty soon, well before xmas anyway. Plus things like cogs and 1/8th chains, tho i personally prefer 3/32 as its slightly quieter.

Sept. 21, 2006, 9:12 p.m.

Pfft - this is the resource (sorry sheldon) the place

Cool Thanks!

Sept. 22, 2006, 2:36 a.m.

I've had lots of time here for the net and I've been getting My"daily fix" for the last couple of weeks. Thanks for opinion on the steamroller. I had a suspicion that the frame would be a bit heavy for the price.
I will pm about the rear wheel, good job on the pauls hub looks super cool but a bit out of my budget right now

Sept. 22, 2006, 4:25 p.m.

on the subject of bikes - complete, just got back from looking at the Cypress line up. Their Alu 7005 bike COMPLETE is 700! the cost of surly frame.

Sept. 24, 2006, 3:55 p.m.

the Cypress stuff looks cool and the offshore building must be what's keeping the costs down. 700 smokin deal, but I was thinking more round tubes and steel, I just don't think I can commit to the track yet. Bt the idea is pretty cool, going really fast with no brakes. That I like.

Sept. 24, 2006, 5:50 p.m.

Always gotta have a front brake, esp NV. Skid stopping is hard when you are really booking it, esp downhill.

Sept. 25, 2006, 3:27 a.m.

Always gotta have a front brake, esp NV. Skid stopping is hard when you are really booking it, esp downhill.

I was refering to the velodrome riding, seems pretty cool. I will definately have a front brake on my rig. That would be the only way for me to stop till I learn the skid and the whole no freewheel thing. Back in Canada in 2 weeks woo hoo then the search for the perfect fixie begins.

Sept. 25, 2006, 2:58 p.m.

I'm desperately searching for some pictures of the Masi Speciale - its going to be my new bike before Xmas, but i cant find the 07 specs/prices anywhere.
it might fit the bill for you - steel/round tubes/inexpensive. Just dont buy a bianchi.
Oh, and if budget is really your deal then

cheap fix

was $620 at mighty riders when i rolled in there last week!
The gear is a little high, and theres no front brake, but there is a nice reynolds DB frame.

Sept. 26, 2006, 7 a.m.

Here is the only pic of the Masi that found
Looks like it's spec'd with a 105 Shimano components. and carbon fork. I got that from the web site and I can't confim if its 07 or 06 model. the webpage was updated this year though. http:\\www.masibikes.com/cycles/speciale.php
thanks for the khs idea, i like that look. The Masi looks pretty good too though. I'm def staying away from bianchi, they have never done anything for me.

Sept. 26, 2006, 8:14 a.m.

thats 06, i have seen the 07, and its HOT. Orangey red with panel style decals and a fixed gear - so no 105. I have been keeping a weather eye on the website, but it probably wont be updated until after interbike….

Sept. 27, 2006, 12:54 p.m.

I believe Surly, IRO, and Nashbar hubs are all made by Formula. Two of my friends have been rolling on Nashbars all season long with great results.

In addition to Mighty Riders, Darren and Ed at Dream Cycle on Commercial Drive are great people to deal with, and they have IRO framesets in stock. I've never been to the Bike Kitchen at UBC, but they stock IRO as well. Anyone considering a Steamroller, IRO, EAI Bareknuckle, etc for a winter bike, though, should note that these frames lack fender mounts.

With careful shopping, it's easy to build up a budget fixie that's way, way nicer than any comparable complete. eBay, craigslist, Our Community Bikes, etc, are all great resources.

Mighty Riders
On The Rivet Cyclewear
Vallie Components
Novex Clean Delivery Solutions