Fenders/rack on road bike

May 21, 2015, 10:30 a.m.

When I used to work in a bike shop I used to hate this question. I'm looking at picking up a road bike for commuting on. The bike I'm looking at is a reasonably high-end steel frame with no eyelets for fenders, rack etc. Yes, I could have them welded on, but I'm not looking to do anything like that. Can one get clip-on fenders that clear low-profile caliper brakes these days? Racks? I'm not looking to carry a ton of weight so presumably a seatpost-mounted rack would do the job…

May 21, 2015, 10:36 a.m.

fenders: sks raceblades or crud roadracers are your friend for the super low clearance and no mounting points. Very fiddly to install the first time but I commuted the last 2 winters on a set of the cruds.

Cant help you with racks-i use a backpack.

May 21, 2015, 10:51 a.m.

Yup, agree on Timv reco's. I've got the Crud Roadracer2s and while they were a PITA to install, they have been a permanent fixture on my winter road bike and they work well.

May 21, 2015, 11:04 a.m.

If you need fenders then get disc brakes.

From there it's a simple matter to use p-clamps (MEC sells a kit) and zipties at the fork legs/seatstays.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk