Dirty add-ons to North Shore rode rides

Oct. 11, 2013, 5:32 p.m.

New to living on North Van…

Aside from the standard HS bay loop and cool little loops in NV and West Van, I would like to add some dirt to my road loops. I'm on a CX bike, so really anything short of rough singletrack (that I rather ride my MTB on) I'm interested in. It looks like heading up Seymour Trailway and crossing over and riding back on Fisherman's is a nice little loop to add on to a road ride. Any other favourite little hidden gems you guys do on your CX?

Thanks!

Oct. 11, 2013, 5:45 p.m.

Mosquito creek is ok on the east side but up only I think. Down is verboten. I have ridden cap pacific up and into deepest darkest west van over the dam up cap road and across the power lines which are a bit loose and rough in places but manageable on a cross bike.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 11, 2013, 8:50 p.m.

Fishermans is good both ways, but was under construction recently between Homestead and Spur 4. Not sure if it's passable yet; there was still a sign at Twin Bridges Tuesday.

Sections of the Richard Juryn area are graveled, as well as the trails on either side of lower Lynn Creek.

There's a gravel road from Lynn Canyon Park to Ross Road that's pretty fun to rip through - just watch for dogs and walkers as it's closed to cars during winter.

flickr

Oct. 11, 2013, 10:06 p.m.

if you go over the ironworkers there's a pretty cool link up of the trans canada trail that goes through north burnaby… or go through some of the paths in stanley park…. or if you want to put some miles out ride out to pacific spirit at UBC

Oct. 11, 2013, 10:58 p.m.

The trail from Lynn Headwaters down to the Rice Lake gazebo is bike-OK; there are signs on the other trails in that area that are no-bike.

flickr

Oct. 12, 2013, 12:41 p.m.

i inadvertantly happened upon a section of gravel crush that wound up in horseshoe bay .

i was riding along marine drive and there was a gas leak between fishermans cove ( eagle harbor ? ) and horseshoe bay so i got sent back . i headed up the first road that looked like it went up to the highway and spoke to a local who gave me loose directions . anyway , i got onto this trail which came out near the firehall / park'n'ride . don't know how far east it went though .

Oct. 12, 2013, 6:40 p.m.

Awesome, thanks guys!

Oct. 14, 2013, 2:17 a.m.

Up Fisherman's to spur (4?) road, turn right and cross over river and ride up to new trail (about 5 or 6 K) that goes down to dam. Come back on hatchery trail, up paved road to around 5.5K, down to mid valley viewpoint, and back down Fisherman's.

You can get to Fisherman's via end of Riverside or by riding up Lillooet to LSCR and down Twin Bridges.

Up Old Buck to BP, down BP to Indian River, paved road to Woodlands, and then return on same route.

If you like long rides, add the two together.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 18, 2013, 10:10 a.m.

Thread hijack! (sort of)

What about Vancouver proper? From now 'till spring I enjoy mixing up rides by switching between road and trail on the cross bike just to make things more interesting for those long slow wet rides. I'll start:

UBC area/endowment lands(duh)
Trails in the musqueum park area, right down to the reservation (and south fraser)
Rail line along arbutus/West Boulevard
Gravel trail out to Iona (+ trails out to the point). Iona spit too.

Most are more of the pea-gravel type of trail, but better than nothing.

Any other longer stretches of trail that are road/cross bike friendly that I am missing out on?

Oct. 18, 2013, 3:33 p.m.

i inadvertantly happened upon a section of gravel crush that wound up in horseshoe bay .

i was riding along marine drive and there was a gas leak between fishermans cove ( eagle harbor ? ) and horseshoe bay so i got sent back . i headed up the first road that looked like it went up to the highway and spoke to a local who gave me loose directions . anyway , i got onto this trail which came out near the firehall / park'n'ride . don't know how far east it went though .

That, I believe, is the old railway line and has a couple of great view points over Eagle Harbour. Plenty of elderly people out walking their dogs though so not a place for speed. The eastern end terminates at Nelson Creek. You can actually ride down another trail and some steps from the old Nelson Creek road bridge (not Highway 1!) near a big water reservoir

Oct. 18, 2013, 3:36 p.m.

Up Fisherman's to spur (4?) road, turn right and cross over river and ride up to new trail (about 5 or 6 K) that goes down to dam.

By new trail, do you mean singletrack or dirt road? So you're on the east side of the river and can cross over the dam to the west side then ride back via the hatchery???

Oct. 18, 2013, 4:37 p.m.

Its a gravel path on the East side that drops down to the river, cross 2 bridges and your at the hatchery. Trail starts behind the hatchery and comes out to the Demo forest paved road.

Oct. 18, 2013, 5:13 p.m.

NICE:rocker: