cyclocross/touring frames

Jan. 16, 2006, 3:05 p.m.

Go see Ed @ Mighty Riders… Unless of course you've already been, seeing as you're all "Soma this" and "Surly that" !

;)

He also has a mint Brodie Romax 50cm hanging there w. fork…

Jan. 17, 2006, 7:21 p.m.

Go see Ed @ Mighty Riders… Unless of course you've already been, seeing as you're all "Soma this" and "Surly that" !

;)

He also has a mint Brodie Romax 50cm hanging there w. fork…

yeah, you get a lot of surly there… thanks for the tip on the brodie.

Jan. 17, 2006, 7:22 p.m.

FWIW, my inseam is 77.5 cm and I ride a 49 cm Kona Jake frame.

you must have tons of standover then?

were you on clark and 5th or so at 8am today? saw a guy with a blue jacket and a 2006 kona jake today.

Jan. 17, 2006, 11:57 p.m.

you must have tons of standover then?

were you on clark and 5th or so at 8am today? saw a guy with a blue jacket and a 2006 kona jake today.

Nope, wasn't me. I'm on an '04 Jake (Gray/Black).

I have barely any standover, maybe 1-2 cm at most. And this is wearing mtb shoes with lugged soles. I have about 10 cm of seat post extension showing.

'Cross frames typically have a higher BB/standover. Compared with the same size Kona road frame, the BB on my bike is 0.5 inches higher and the standover is 1.3 inches higher.

Also, when you measure your inseam, make sure to push up right into your junk.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 20, 2006, 12:04 p.m.

'Cross frames typically have a higher BB/standover. Compared with the same size Kona road frame, the BB on my bike is 0.5 inches higher and the standover is 1.3 inches higher.

Also, when you measure your inseam, make sure to push up right into your junk.

don't worry, i'm all about pushing it up, down, and all around.

currently looking at a more traditional road frame on ebay and it's sized 51 cm seat tube and 52.4 cm top tube, but according to zinn i'm built like a monkey with a long torso and short legs - think march of the penguins. does that mean i'm committed to riding bikes that i can barely straddle but with a super long stem so i get the proper extension?

Jan. 20, 2006, 1:20 p.m.

currently looking at a more traditional road frame on ebay and it's sized 51 cm seat tube and 52.4 cm top tube, but according to zinn i'm built like a monkey with a long torso and short legs - think march of the penguins. does that mean i'm committed to riding bikes that i can barely straddle but with a super long stem so i get the proper extension?

Let me get back to you on the sizing issue, but I really think you're better off buying locally so you can check the sizing. A couple of budget 50-51 cm bikes have appeared lately, now is a good time to buy with motivated sellers.

51 cm 'cross frame, but with flat bars:

http://www.cycling.bc.ca/index.php?id=173[HTML_REMOVED]tt_board_uid=4117[HTML_REMOVED]cHash=824003d11c

50 cm road frame:

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/bik/126260254.html

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 22, 2006, 12:02 p.m.

cool, thanks for the leads. i checked the cannondale website and the standover on their 50cm cross frame is 31.6". not too in to standing on tippy-toes every stop light. and the one essential thing i need on a road bike is that it can mount proper full-fenders, so neither of those bikes apply (the cross frame has no fender mounts!). rainy road rides while breathing froth is the shit. thanks though, i'll keep an eye on that site and i bid on the road frame on ebay, so we'll find out in a couple hours.

Jan. 22, 2006, 2:53 p.m.

Salsa Las Cruces, with 51mm IS disc mounts

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Jan. 22, 2006, 9:05 p.m.

man, we have totally different tastes in bikes, unless you're showing me that to show me an ugly bike. salsa used to be hot, now it's past due.

Jan. 23, 2006, 2:01 p.m.

http://www.lemondbikes.com/2006_bikes/poprad_disc.shtml

we just got in one of these

disc mount on the chainstay instead of seat stay is kinda unusual

Jan. 31, 2006, 3:44 a.m.

Today I saw some road frames at Sports Junkies in Port Moody, but they were probably all aluminum. Pretty good place to find the odd part or decent old frame, nonetheless.

The Jake is a decent frame - sanrensho's Jake is built pretty light - maybe 20 lbs.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 31, 2006, 12:24 p.m.

The Jake is a decent frame - sanrensho's Jake is built pretty light - maybe 20 lbs.

cool, is it built more for road?

Jan. 31, 2006, 8:52 p.m.

cool, is it built more for road?

The bike is a standard 'cross build except for lighter wheels (handbuilt w/Velocity Aerohead rims) and tires. Knobbies and heavier duty wheels would push the weight up another 1-2 lb.

Sorry for not getting back to you on the sizing issue. Minimal top tube clearance shouldn't be as big an issue on a road bike. Hopefully, you won't be dismounting that often. If frequent dismounts are a concern (such as for commuting), then an mtb frame might make more sense.

As far as using long stems, you might be surprised. You may find that you prefer a shorter/taller stem for a more upright position. The numbers you will get from an online fit calculator are only guideline recommendations. However, I would use the recommended seat height measurement as a starting point and experiment from there (+/- 1 cm) if you find it necessary.

Feb. 8, 2006, 1:25 p.m.

I wouldn't recommend a true cross bike for touring. The high bb is not only a little less stable (not that big a deal to me) but that might mean that the bars end up lower relative to the saddle than optimal for long tours. I would suggest reading the fit opinions on the Rivendell http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/101_pureopinions.html

website before you go further. Another thing is that many cross bikes have no rack mounts and a real cross bike like that beautiful Ridley, does not even have bottle mounts.

I had a Jake, first generation 49cm. No fender eyelets on the fork and short front centre which means toe overlap with the front wheel. I had all the spacers I could reasonably fit under a 80mm 10 degree rise stem and it was still a bit low for my tastes. I would suggest either long reach sidepulls or canti's over v's and pulleys. I tried the pulley thing and it did not work all that great for me. There are also tektro mini-v's too which do work pretty well.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 8, 2006, 10:06 p.m.

how about the Strange brake?

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/strangebrakes.asp

I think they may be making another run of these