cross for commuters?

March 25, 2010, 10:51 a.m.

If you won't be commuting in downpours, I'd be inclined to go with regular canti brakes (plenty of stopping power if set up correctly). That way you can easily swap out for standard road wheels.

For 24/7 commuting no matter what the weather, discs are a no-brainer.

Ya 24/7 is what i am inclined towards. I did it for a winter once with my old road bike with cantis and I had to really plan out my stops :lol:

March 25, 2010, 11:22 a.m.

What frame size are you looking for?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 25, 2010, 12:43 p.m.

You'll definitely notice a difference swapping out a typical CX tire (say 700x35c) for a narrow road tire (typically 700x23c). I did that last summer to climb Baker and it made a huge difference. If you are really serious about using your 'cross bike as a 3-in-1 multitool (cyclocross/commuting/road), budget for a dedicated road wheelset.

Definitely.

In regards to tires also factor in the roads you will be riding. Don't know how much the roads are like in Van. But Toronto roads are some of the worst roads in Canada. First few rides in Nov 2002 had some issues when I switched to 700x28's had way less problems.

Continental Ultra's are good, can take abuse and go fast. Only $21.50 at MEC.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 25, 2010, 1:10 p.m.

What frame size are you looking for?

I was riding a 61cm frame before, I felt it to be a tad large. I'm 6'2".

If I am buying used, I'll just have to go with whatever fits the best but it will be in teh high 50's I am sure.

March 26, 2010, 8:25 p.m.

Call the BC KHS dealers.

http://www.khscanada.com/khsdealers/britishcolumbiadealers.html

KHS has a cross bike that may be cheap enough for you.

If I decide to get another one I'll be going that route.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 26, 2010, 10:43 p.m.

If you have parts this guy is blowing the KHS frames out,

http://www.bikeman.com/KHS.html

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 27, 2010, 12:50 p.m.

i dreamed up a "perfect cross commuter" in my mind and one day stumbled upon the very frame for sale on craigslist - a late 90s steel brodie romax. its a bit of a pig, too heavy to be a road bike, not high enough in the bb to be a good cx bike and not enough tire clearance to be a 29r - but man is it a rippin' commuter!

How did you build it up?

If my commute was flat I'd be on a single speed - light, fast, cheap, and very easy to maintain.

Since this is Vancouver (and suburbs) and there are hills, I got a cross bike (Marinoni Fango) for commuting, road rides, light touring - it's sweet, but almost too nice to use around town.

Which has given me an urge to build up something tough and ugly, light steel XC frame, rigid fork, simple drive train, drop bars, light wheels and tires - maybe some 700c wheels if the frame has disc brake mounts

March 27, 2010, 2:13 p.m.

I commute on a 2001 Jake the Snake as well. It was a leftover at Kona Europe and I got a really good deal on it. While the brakes are good for the application, they are not stellar and can get lethal in rain/snow. Apart from that, I love it and use it for road rides as well, most times when I don't want me or my road bike get dirty.

March 27, 2010, 3:36 p.m.

Anyone got some experience with the Rocky Mountain Solo CX bikes? I was looking at an 09 with discs for just over a G. Seems like a pretty decent build, I think it was mostly Tiagra with a bit of 105 although I cannot remember totally.

I had an Oxygen Race way back in the day and was always impressed with Rocky bikes- it's also a bonus they are a BC company.

Also, any experience on the Norco CX bikes? Again, a Canadian company and I owned a Norco Fluid and had good experience with Norco service whenever I had a problem.

I'm having a heck of a time convincing my wife $1000 is pretty much the base starting rate for a new bike! Took her into Mighty Riders today and looked around, she started to see why a good bike costs more than $200.

March 27, 2010, 4:28 p.m.

Anyone got some experience with the Rocky Mountain Solo CX bikes? I was looking at an 09 with discs for just over a G. Seems like a pretty decent build, I think it was mostly Tiagra with a bit of 105 although I cannot remember totally.

I had an Oxygen Race way back in the day and was always impressed with Rocky bikes- it's also a bonus they are a BC company.

Also, any experience on the Norco CX bikes? Again, a Canadian company and I owned a Norco Fluid and had good experience with Norco service whenever I had a problem.

I'm having a heck of a time convincing my wife $1000 is pretty much the base starting rate for a new bike! Took her into Mighty Riders today and looked around, she started to see why a good bike costs more than $200.

If you call around Norco CCX 2's are a good deal. One of the shops out here has one for $750 from last year. I believe the retail is about $900. Call around to see who has any.

The 2009's are Orange and while they have disc mounts don't come with disc brakes. Come with Tektro Cross Canti's. The 2008 had BB7 Disc's.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 27, 2010, 4:31 p.m.

You fucking bastards… now you got me looking at Cross bikes.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 27, 2010, 7:43 p.m.

I know the feeling… I've been surfing the web, looking at used bikes, frames and whatnot, thinking of maybe building one up to add to the stable.

March 27, 2010, 7:45 p.m.

glad I could be of assistance.

March 27, 2010, 10:18 p.m.

It's been 3 years since i last rode a Cross bike…. forgive me Dark Lord Mephisto of Mud Stud.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 27, 2010, 10:27 p.m.

For 24/7 commuting no matter what the weather, discs are a no-brainer.

yeah but cantis keep thing interesting 8)

How did you build it up?

jesus, how didn't i. first build was parts swapped over from the kelly, 1x8 cross race machine with ck hubs on open pros, kelly take off shifter dooda, michelin muds. took it to south africa when i was working for bikes not bombs, heavier wheels and riser bars. built it up as a touring bike when i got back to van, bar end shifters, dynamo front hub, 700x42 tires. single speed for all the snow last year with cx tires and vintage wtb dirt drops. now she's my "daddy bike" - 3x7 gearing, front and rear racks, commuter tires, suntour xc pro brakes and shifters, on one mary bars, trailer hitch for the chariot and ibert for short trips with the little guy. i've got a full dura ace tripple groupo in the wings for my indy fab, so the brodie may end up being single speeded again and serve as a 700c bmx for a while. . . again, the frame is a pig but the most versatile thing i've ever ridden.

look at the bb drop on that sucker!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave