cross for commuters?

March 23, 2010, 4:55 p.m.

I'm looking at getting a new ride to get to work, I just got a new job and it is going to be about 22km each way- so a good ride everyday.

I read the getting started thread on this board and been perusing the internet. Would a cyclecross bike be a good choice for commuting? I have always ridden an older Apollo race frame but I am tired of downtube shifters and wouldn't mind something from the past decade!

I like the idea of having some tires for road riding and another set for cruising through stanley park. Not to mention cyclocross racing looks like a good time I could see myself getting into.

I guess my main questions are:

Is the geometry good for city riding? Is it very maneuverable but still conducive to longer rides?

Are disc brakes worth avoiding? I've seen a few with discs and it makes sense for winter riding, but I have heard they are banned in racing (keep in mind, if I actually do race I'm looking at the beginner/fun races). Do they add that much more rotational weight?

Is it realistic for me to find a decent used bike for $400-700? If I can convince the wife, I could probably go closer to a G, in that case I may start looking at new bikes.

Where is a good shop in Vancouver or the GVRD to find cyclocross bikes? I checked out WestPoint Cycle, they had some good looking Rocky Mountains but not much else in this category.

March 23, 2010, 4:59 p.m.

Congrats on the new job!

Can't contribute on the xc bike question, but I have been considering "trading up" my roadie-commuter for an xc, so this is a good thread.

waits for replies

March 23, 2010, 5:11 p.m.

Yes.

I use my road bike in the summer cause it feels way more fast and nimble. In shoulder seasons when the puddles and grit is high I've got a cross bike. It's nice having slightly knobby tires and being able to hit some gravel or non-paved options during that time. (winter season i drive - it's dark rainy and shitty :P )

I bought it in the first few months of the year from Different and found they had excellent deals on previous year models that dealers were looking to clear out. Finding a used one was brutal since they seem to have taken a major spike in popularity in the last few years, and at 700 bucks it was only a few more hundred to get a new one…

I've never had a problem stopping my bike with the cantis, discs is an expensive option that just didn't seem worth it for an 'off season' bike.

March 23, 2010, 5:30 p.m.

So it is pretty reasonable to expect a cross bike to be a jack-of-all-trades bike? At least for a year or so until I can afford another good bike, like a race specific frame.

I like the idea of running a couple sets of wheels/rubber like I used to do with my mountain bike.

March 23, 2010, 5:35 p.m.

A Cross bike is good option.

If you are chasing UCI points disc's are verboten according to UCI luddites. A properly set up set of canties will work well. Something like this,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34582

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34583

Sold a guy on these last year and after trying this style loved them. Lots of power.

Go see the guy's at Mighty Riders to see what you want. Or if you want used check Craigslist, Kiiji…
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/search/bik?query=cyclocross[HTML_REMOVED]catAbbreviation=bik

Also check the usual consignment places.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 23, 2010, 5:36 p.m.

So it is pretty reasonable to expect a cross bike to be a jack-of-all-trades bike? At least for a year or so until I can afford another good bike, like a race specific frame.

I like the idea of running a couple sets of wheels/rubber like I used to do with my mountain bike.

I know a couple of guy's who take pride in racing well on Cross bikes in Road races.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 23, 2010, 5:48 p.m.

A Cross bike is good option.

If you are chasing UCI points disc's are verboten according to UCI luddites. A properly set up set of canties will work well. Something like this,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34582

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34583

Sold a guy on these last year and after trying this style loved them. Lots of power.

Go see the guy's at Mighty Riders to see what you want. Or if you want used check Craigslist, Kiiji…
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/search/bik?query=cyclocross[HTML_REMOVED]catAbbreviation=bik

Also check the usual consignment places.

I definitely don't feel like I need discs, just seemed like an interesting option I have seen available.

I find most postings on craigslist to be of the fixie/single speed/steel frame from the 70s that is over-priced variety.

Thanks!

March 23, 2010, 5:57 p.m.

I definitely don't feel like I need discs, just seemed like an interesting option I have seen available.

I find most postings on craigslist to be of the fixie/single speed/steel frame from the 70s that is over-priced variety.

Thanks!

The disc's sound nice but there are issues.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 23, 2010, 6:59 p.m.

The disc's sound nice but there are issues.

Yah like not having your rims worn out in a year!

Riding through water and mud and still being able to stop after!

Brake pads that last longer than a couple of races!

Disc brakes for the win.

Only pro's can't race with them!

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

March 23, 2010, 7:21 p.m.

You have to be patient with Craigslist. I trolled it diligently for two months before the right deal came along. Then you've got to be prepared to act immediately or you might miss out.
Posted via Mobile Device

March 23, 2010, 7:23 p.m.

run a 29er with cross tires

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

March 23, 2010, 8:31 p.m.

Yah like not having your rims worn out in a year!

Riding through water and mud and still being able to stop after!

Brake pads that last longer than a couple of races!

Disc brakes for the win.

Only pro's can't race with them!

I think set up is the issue, the two I tried where supposedly set up correctly.

Oh, and cross is now to popular. Monstercross is now the new Cyclocross black.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 23, 2010, 8:36 p.m.

MEC seems to be into Cross bikes.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442630195[HTML_REMOVED]FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302886469[HTML_REMOVED]bmUID=1269401741420

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

March 23, 2010, 8:51 p.m.

I was looking at the mec ones today. They look alright but Im honestly a little unsure of a bike that comes from them. I guess realistically the frame is probably built where most Giant's are built, but I can't seem to get over the MEC lablel!
I also wonder about the service that would be provided in comparison to a bike shop.

March 23, 2010, 8:57 p.m.

I don't commute and I don't race, but I use my 'cross bike as a winter road bike, for mixed road/gravel path rides, and light duty trail rides (trails in and around LSCR).

In our weather, if you can get discs, go for it. As Ninja said, my understanding is that discs are disallowed in UIC races, not the races you will be entering. The only penalty is some extra weight.

For non-disc options, you should be able to pick up a used Kona Jake the Snake, which is a proven 'cross performer, for about $800. A bit less for the lower end Kona Jake, but I don't see these as often on CraigsList, etc.

As far as geo goes, 'cross bikes have a higher BB than road bikes. Since I prefer a more upright position on the CX bike (vs the road bike), I've got extra spacers under the stem. You can go even more upright and get the bars nearly level with the saddle.

For commuting, you might find 'cross levers to be useful, I don't use mine 99% of the time, but they can be useful for signaling left turns with just the one hand on the top of the bars.

If you know your size, you can pick up a new Fantom Outlaw w/disc brakes for US$900 shipped to the border. This is a steal value-wise, as are many of the bikes from BikesDirect. (I've had two friends by bikes from BD on my recommendation.)

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outlaw.htm

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk