comfy cycle shorts

Nov. 23, 2013, 12:46 a.m.

I was given a pair of bibbed shorts (came from Europe, but no tag that indicates manufacturer) that has much denser and thicker padding than what I see around most stores. They're pretty comfortable, even on longer rides, and the type of foam doesn't absorb moisture very much so it continues to provide padding.

The shorts I usually see in stores here are often made with less dense foam that squishes easily, soaks up moisture, and after a couple hours doesn't pad much at all.

Who makes a good pair of shorts with a lot of dense padding? I notice the professionals have what appears to be a lot of padding in their shorts. I've only once seen a pair that seemed really good (Louis Garneau), but they were at a second hand store and wrong size. The expensive Suigoi shorts have noticeably better padding, but still not good enough.

Signed,
Sore Butt

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 23, 2013, 8 a.m.

If money was no object I'd likely try a pair of Assos bibs w/penthouse pocket

I've been liking my Pearl Izumi PRO In-R-Cool bibs so much that I bought a pair of PRO 3/4 thermal bibs for cooler times.

Also have a pair of Sugio RSE bibs for mtn biking and a pair of Icebreaker Cadence GT 3/4 that feel absolutely terrible while wearing off the bike but not too bad while on it

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 23, 2013, 8:14 a.m.

yea the pearl izumi stuff is nice. i have the Select tights and they are super nice w a good chamois..

Nov. 23, 2013, 5:54 p.m.

The Sugoi RS/RSE stuff has treated me well. If you're still experiencing a sore butt with a high quality chamois like this, I would look into getting a different saddle.

flickr

Nov. 23, 2013, 11:14 p.m.

I have a pair of craft performance bike tour shorts. They are hands down the comfiest I own. Super thin and light, but not 'see through' some of the other shorts I have. Awesome chamois as well.

They weren't crazy expensive either if I remember correctly, ~$100 on the other side of the atlantic.

Nov. 23, 2013, 11:16 p.m.

Hincapie, specifically their upper end shorts. Capo (made in Italy) is good too.

The DhB stuff (house brand) from Wiggle is pretty good, both shorts I purchased were Italian made.

I also like Castelli, but some lines do not have a thick chamois.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Nov. 24, 2013, 10:17 a.m.

Best I've ever had are a high end Cannondale chamois that came in their Grind shorts. I thought they were a little thick initially but the comfort and man berry support is superb.

Nov. 27, 2013, 8:33 p.m.

Switch, you ever going to respond, or just keep us all in suspense?

Nov. 27, 2013, 8:41 p.m.

Respond to what?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 27, 2013, 9:13 p.m.

I need closure

Nov. 29, 2013, 7:43 a.m.

my favortie are some resonably inexpensive sugoi, I don't think I have ever seen a sugoi product I didn't like

yeah I would wonder about the seat