Chamois/bike shorts for long days in the saddle?

Aug. 4, 2015, 10:41 a.m.

What are people using for chamois/bike shorts for +10 hour days in the saddle?

Mine seem to be good for about 8 hours, but after that…

Currently using a couple of pairs of Pear Izumi (bought from the factory store in Bend) [HTML_REMOVED] a few pairs of Voler (but they are getting old and need to be demoted to only short rides).

Edit: asking for both men [HTML_REMOVED] women as I know my wife would like new shorts too.

Aug. 4, 2015, 10:57 a.m.

Pearl Izumi Quest from MEC, $64.

I wear them all-day, every day.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Aug. 4, 2015, 11:01 a.m.

Thanks!
I should get a pair to try for the next trip.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5036-379/pearl-izumi-quest-shorts-mens/?h=10+50002+50020+50089+50106[HTML_REMOVED]f=10+50002+50089+50299

Likely also related to the high temps this summer, most of the riding has been high 20s to mid 30s, equals lots of sweating.

Aug. 4, 2015, 12:19 p.m.

I have tried a variety of different options at various price points over the years all for xc riding under my baggies.
By far the best short is Assos. Not cheap, but even compared to the Sugoi shorts at the same price, these things are a cut above.
Fit as always is a major consideration.

Aug. 4, 2015, 3:10 p.m.

Pearl Izumi Bibs FTW

Aug. 4, 2015, 5:44 p.m.

Lots of great brands out there. Chamois Cream for big days.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 4, 2015, 6:18 p.m.

Pearl Izumi is comfy… But also quite see through!! The women's ones anyways!

Aug. 4, 2015, 8:09 p.m.

Castelli endurance bibs from MEC (there are a number of castelli shorts)

ime bib shorts are mo comfortable than plain old shorts

you wana buy bibs so they pull on your shoulders when standing straight up and feel good when you hunch over in riding mode

Aug. 5, 2015, 12:15 p.m.

First short are a personal thing. What works for one person might not work for another.

Chamois cream as someone already suggested might be a better option for those long days. With that amount of saddle time you might want to reapply during the day.

Or you could stop doing those epic rides ;)

Aug. 5, 2015, 10:27 p.m.

Could be chamois/saddle combo
If you are putting serious time in on the saddle I'd suggest spending a few more bucks on a pair.

And again +1 for the bibs. Still don't see how people don't use them. More so when wearing over shorts.

Ed.
If you can stomach the cost the P.R.O. In-R-Cool bib is what I started to wear under my baggies after the Sugio RSE bib chamois has started to peel.
I have been using WTB Deva Ti saddles for a few years on a few bikes with what I believe is good success. The Fi'zi:k ass hatchet I have on my road bike needs to be replaced and the Chromag Moon DT on the DH bike is actually a surprise front runner. Almost the same saddle length, a slightly wider more flat nose and same width at the back.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 6, 2015, 10:06 a.m.

Thanks for all the info!

To summarize:
- need to try chamois butter (never used it before)
- need to try bib shorts (never tried them before)
- I use high end WTB saddles (Ti rails, leather covers, etc) but it is a good point, the one I've had issues with recently is a wider model than I run on my other bikes. Will have to swap for the next trip.
- I use light overshorts but maybe I shouldn't on long days.
- The PI shorts I've been using are their mid price models, something like $80US at their factory store in Bend. I don't recall the model names.

Aug. 6, 2015, 11:50 a.m.

BTW IME its a very good thing for a bib short to be low cut in front like the castelli and you will figure out why the 1st time you gotta take a piss

Light over shorts might be good to protect the lycra from abrasion of mtb'ing but extra shorts make things hotter