buying a road bike

Jan. 31, 2006, 8:56 p.m.

im planning on buying a roadbike to ride around the farm roads to build up fitness.
im looking to get a decent bike and i figure its gonna cost me 1000-1500 im planning on riding clips.
im not a light guy im 5'7 hovering around 195. ( i know):(
i was checking out the giant ocr's and they look pretty good.
but then… i saw the bianchi ero's do you think its worth it to go for a steel frame and campy?

any other recomendations will be very much apreciated.
thanks
Andy

brokezors

Jan. 31, 2006, 9:13 p.m.

When it come to road, fit comes first, component choice second. Check out the stickied thread above. Those pounds will start to melt away when you begin riding regularly.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 31, 2006, 9:33 p.m.

i plugged my numbers in and got a seat tube length of 50 cm, and top tube length of 64 cm

so the size comes from the seat tube lenghth so then i would ride a 50 cm frame?
on giants site it says for my height of 5'6 and a bit my standard size would be a 55cm frame
and a small or medium compact road frame.
im a litle confused

brokezors

Jan. 31, 2006, 9:48 p.m.

i plugged my numbers in and got a seat tube length of 50 cm, and top tube length of 64 cm

so the size comes from the seat tube lenghth so then i would ride a 50 cm frame?

What is your inseam? Mine is 77.5 and I ride a 49/50 cm frame (seat tube length). With my measurements, the Zinn calculator gave me a 50 cm seat tube and 52 cm top tube.

Your top tube length seems way off.

You can safely ignore most manufacturer's height-based recommendations for sizing, because it doesn't account for your inseam length. Two people that both measure 5'7" can have dramatically different inseams-one could have stubby legs, the other could have supermodel legs.

As far as Campy goes, you may find it a lot harder to find parts. I don't ride Campy, so I have nothing for or against it.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 1, 2006, 9:29 a.m.

Getting Campy parts should not be a problem in most major cities. In Vancouver there are two shops that carry it. I've been riding Campy for as long as I can remember. I have a 9 year old Campy Chorus rain bike. They only thing I've had to change so far was the chain and the plastic wheels at the back. Campy is the Energizer Bunny of bike parts. :D

Feb. 1, 2006, 11:41 a.m.

Getting Campy parts should not be a problem in most major cities.

True. What I should have said was that your average LBS is more likely to carry Shimano parts.

Feb. 1, 2006, 4:10 p.m.

i have a 76.5 cm inseam. but im still growing

brokezors

Feb. 1, 2006, 5:09 p.m.

i have a 76.5 cm inseam. but im still growing

Try swinging your leg over something in the 49-51 cm seat tube range. (Don't pay attention to Giant's S/M/L sizings, just pay attention to the seat tube length.)

You may find something at the upper or lower range to be more comfortable. Take your seat height with you to the LBS and have them adjust the seat height before taking any test rides.

If you think you will be outgrowing this bike soon, I wouldn't lay out a lot of dough. If you start to ride regularly, you will probably develop equipment and fit preferences that you can apply to your next bike.

And don't forget to push up all the way into your junk when measuring that inseam. Think of where you will actually be sitting on your seat.

Feb. 1, 2006, 6:41 p.m.

yea thats what i was thinking just go try a couple bikes.
whar are some good bikes at the lower end of the price range
im looking around 1000 as i want to save some dough to buy a trainer

brokezors

Feb. 1, 2006, 7:42 p.m.

what about used bikes?
are there any road buy and sells
all ive found is buysell.com

brokezors

Feb. 1, 2006, 7:54 p.m.

around 1000 canadian?

specialized allez sport
trek 1200

all the competition in the same price category for those two bikes will have a similar tiagra/105 mix component set, and similar quality of aluminum frame.

see if you can find any 2005s in your size on sale at a dealer…. now's the best time of year to buy a road bike.

2006 trek 1200:

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Feb. 1, 2006, 8:14 p.m.

what about used bikes?
are there any road buy and sells
all ive found is buysell.com

Try the classifieds here:

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/default2.html

Also, Craigslist TO:
http://toronto.craigslist.org/bik/

Feb. 1, 2006, 8:30 p.m.

what are some good shops that carry lower priced road.
dizzy,bsp,?

brokezors

Feb. 1, 2006, 8:45 p.m.

what are some good shops that carry lower priced road.
dizzy,bsp,?

Oops, I thought you were in TO. Locally:

http://www.cycling.bc.ca/index.php?id=173

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/bik/

On the Shore, Cove, Dizzy, BSP and John Henry all carry road bikes starting at the lower end.

Feb. 1, 2006, 9:16 p.m.

Devinci has a great couple of entry-mid level bikes, the Chicane ($1000) and the Apex ($1300ish). I have an older one that I used for training.

http://www.devinci.com/english/velo_frame.asp?url=../2006/Eng/Bike-pages/Road/road.htm

Fit is important on a road bike, but just so you know you do have some lateral 'play' with your sizing. It doesn't nessicarily have to be perfectly spot on for most people. For me personally, I have owned bikes that have been fitted to me and ones that should be slightly too small, but the ride characteristics and performance were never an issue.

If you plan on road racing or logging 1500kms a month then yes, get that bike fitted to you like your skin. If you are using it to get a good workout for an hour then likely your set up is not going to be much of an issue. Once you have your frame size (small-medium or 51-53cm I'm guessing) you've got lots of tiny adjustments you can do easily and effectively.

Campy is nice, I LOVE their shifters, but the shifting can be pretty clunky and unreliable compared to much less expensive Shimano parts. My entry level Tiagra junk shifts better than my old Centaur grouppo! I'd stick with Shimano - easy to get, less expensive, and works better.