best winter roadie tights

Jan. 5, 2007, 11:41 a.m.

whats your fave and why?

Jan. 5, 2007, 11:49 a.m.

I mentioned this before on another thread, but for really cold days, I would recommend a winter-weight tight with Windblock (wind stopper) front panels.

I have the LG tights from MEC that have a micro fleece backing that wicks well. I wish it had a wind stopper front.

Although slightly unconventional, I like to wear a slim pant over tights both to block wind and keep off grime on really crappy days. In my case, I use Kona pants, which have a really slim leg.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 5, 2007, 11:52 a.m.

see I have some cannondale "winter" tights but I still freeze my thighs and butt off….I miss the old thick wool ones……albeit no good for rain!

hmmm

Jan. 5, 2007, 11:56 a.m.

see I have some cannondale "winter" tights but I still freeze my thighs and butt off….

Do they have a wicked fleece backing? That's where the warmth comes from. I'd also take a look at Craft. They have a thermal tight with wind stop panels.

Expensive, but I have complete faith in the warming qualities of their products.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 5, 2007, 1:21 p.m.

Sugoi Global, warm, comfy and durable.

http://www.sugoi.ca/prod.php?p=SUG40461U.605[HTML_REMOVED]k=59980

Jan. 5, 2007, 4:57 p.m.

I use the MEC branded pants with the wind blocker on the front $74. I dig them, they keep me warm in really nasty weather. But when it gets warmer like 8 to 10 degrees they get alittle hot if you're on a long ride.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Jan. 6, 2007, 1:25 p.m.

I have some Pearl Izumi AmFIB tights. They have thermal moisture-wicking fabric on the back and waterproof/windproof stuff on the front. I've used them for running and bike commuting, and find they're very warm, comfortable and not at all restrictive. I wouldn't dry them in the dryer because I don't know how the waterproof fabric would hold up to that, but they seem to dry quite quickly hanging up. A bit pricey, but they're well made and look like they will last a long time.

Jan. 6, 2007, 3:55 p.m.

I'd recommend something that is a bib just too give a bit more coverage on the lower back. I've been using Sugoi firewall's this year http://www.sugoi.ca/prod.php?p=SUG49310UNC[HTML_REMOVED]k=59994 so far so good. I'll wear shorts are a lightweight fleece base layer if it's colder.

For women the Assos ones seemed to make sense but are pricey. maybe it's the model that makes me like them though. http://assos.com/en/womens/detail.aspx?article=63[HTML_REMOVED]color=

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Jan. 8, 2007, 9:09 a.m.

assos - a little bit fetish dontcha think?

yeah i think the sugoi bibbed are the way to go too. but thickness hmmm? I have no meat on my bones and even if I am hammering away i still really feel the cold

Jan. 9, 2007, 2:21 a.m.

I'd recommend something that is a bib just too give a bit more coverage on the lower back. I've been using Sugoi firewall's this year http://www.sugoi.ca/prod.php?p=SUG49310UNC[HTML_REMOVED]k=59994 so far so good. I'll wear shorts are a lightweight fleece base layer if it's colder.

For women the Assos ones seemed to make sense but are pricey. maybe it's the model that makes me like them though. http://assos.com/en/womens/detail.aspx?article=63[HTML_REMOVED]color=

I have had the Sugoi Firewall bibs since last year and they have been awesome. Get bibs, not waist high tights - the bib gives you extra protection on the sides and the small of your back (just say no to crack). You do wear shorts underneath and then tights w/o liner, right? That extra layer sure helps - tights/bibs alone aren't enough for me when the temp is below 10

Jan. 9, 2007, 2:03 p.m.

spendy is not me right now.

Jan. 9, 2007, 2:52 p.m.

But those Assos tights are only US$250 or so…:S

Jan. 9, 2007, 3:42 p.m.

But assuming you want to use 'em lots and not wear holes in the ass (sorry gooch), you need some uppy price/quality ratio bibs…so Craft and Sugoi are good bets in my experience (as is Odlo if you can find it). Wore my Sugoi bibs today and in 6 degrees and sun they started cold but were fine by the end…thing is it's not nearly as dry in Van. We have dry roads about 80% of the time in the winter here whereas you're going to need more water repellency (or fenders which aren't a bad option even if they look uncool). Otherwise…anyone use embarcation balm under tights?

Jan. 9, 2007, 4:13 p.m.

you're going to need more water repellency (or fenders which aren't a bad option even if they look uncool)

Fenders are definitely a must for our wet climate.

Hey Pete, did you ever hear back from your engineers about scandium frames?

Jan. 9, 2007, 4:18 p.m.

When its cold I wear defeet knee warmers under sugoi subzero leg warmers and 2 pairs of shorts or if its close to freezing I will wear some fleece lined kneekers over the legwarmers.If my knees get cold they almost lock up and my ride is over.