Be Careful Out There

July 3, 2014, 9:18 a.m.

I rode Marine Drive from Horseshoe Bay last night and passed an accident at Cypress Park that the ambulance and police were just attending to. The rider was flat on his back on the eastbound side of the road, looking pretty beat up, and his bike was hanging 8 feet in the air off of the Erwin Drive road sign. I assume he got doored, or went over the hood of a vehicle coming out of Erwin.

Hopefully, he was OK aside from getting banged up.

Given the number of riders I met (I'm guessing 50-60+, there were several group rides), the narrowness of that road, and a lot of blind pull outs from side streets, there's probably a lot of near misses.

July 3, 2014, 11:46 a.m.

Hope is okay.

Bike was hanging 8 feet up?:eek:

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 3, 2014, 12:33 p.m.

Yeah, that was actually what caught my attention from a distance before I came around the vehicle parked on the side of the road and saw the guy laid out.

I almost stopped to take a picture, but figured that might be considered bad taste by all the folks helping him out.

July 5, 2014, 8:58 a.m.

hope the rider is ok .

I imagine i will get some hate for this.
Riders should use the bike route through west van NOT marine dr.

July 5, 2014, 11:42 a.m.

not gonna hate on ya rivs , but the cyclist has every right to use that road , every bit as much as a guy in a car .

that road is narrow in places , so you gotta own your lane in places where you need to , and then give the drivers every opportunity to go by you when it is safe .

i've ridden that road for over 40 years , and had my fair share of idiots to deal with , and had some very pleasant experiences , much like in germany , where folks are totally happy to sit in behind you until they can go by .

July 5, 2014, 8:51 p.m.

Took my 14-yr old son on marine drive to Horshoe Bay a couple of weeks ago. He did great but I was pretty nervous about him on that road. We passed a really bad accident involving a cyclist and a motorcycle. Both bikes were on the ground and the cyclist looked in bad shape. Don't have a clue what happened there but I sure would like to know the story. Hope everyone was OK.

July 6, 2014, 10:36 a.m.

\
I imagine i will get some hate for this.
Riders should use the bike route through west van NOT marine dr.

Ummm … Marine Drive is a District of West Van recommended on-street bicycle route.

It is the flattest, most direct route through West Van, so it makes sense. It tends to be mostly local traffic with few large trucks or drivers in a hurry, being the slowest vehicle route through West Van. (Bellvue Ave is the safer bike route for the stretch between 14th and 31st Streets). Its definitely safer than the Upper Levels Highway and its many on and off ramps. The "street route" above/below the Upper Levels involves a lot of hill climbing, and while it may be good for training rides, its hardly a cycling or commuting route.

http://westvancouver.ca/sites/default/files/dwv/assets/transport-raods/docs/Cycling/north-shore-bike-MAP.pdf

July 6, 2014, 11:59 a.m.

In the year I've been riding on the road, the drivers on the Sunshine Coast are really into giving cyclists their space. Surprised actually, what with being lycra clad in redneck-ville

Now to get local levels of gubermint to upgrade secondary roads with a proper paved shoulder/cycling lane

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.