Armstrong stripped of titles (Merged Lance threads)

Aug. 24, 2012, 10:21 a.m.

I find it hard to believe you would be ok with getting retested time after time and/ or going to court and/or dealing with the media about something you were proved not guilty of the first time around.

I know I could honestly say I wouldn't be ok with it.

I think it's a unique situation. 7 consecutive tour titles makes many people (especially Americans) view him as "the greatest cyclist of all time". I think that's why this has gone on for so long. I also wonder if he had stayed retired, and left the spotlight, if this would be happening now?

Aug. 24, 2012, 10:21 a.m.

I just wish they would get it over with and focus on current doping..

this

Aug. 24, 2012, 10:23 a.m.

I think it's a unique situation. 7 consecutive tour titles makes many people (especially Americans) view him as "the greatest cyclist of all time". I think that's why this has gone on for so long. I also wonder if he had stayed retired, and left the spotlight, if this would be happening now?

Ah, so you're saying if you're too good at something you should be raped more than anyone else.

I really don't follow this stuff too closely, but wasn't lance involved in some big drug thing a couple of years ago?

Aug. 24, 2012, 10:33 a.m.

You win, you get tested, 3 or 6 month window for disputes, after that it stands. I think it's BS that they can go back that far.

The criminal justice system doesn't work like that so why should anything else?

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 24, 2012, 10:37 a.m.

Am I missing the sarcasm here?

I think you can only be tried for a crime once no? Double jeopardy?

Aug. 24, 2012, 10:44 a.m.

Go Lance!

I never thought I'd say that…….

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Aug. 24, 2012, 10:54 a.m.

Ah, so you're saying if you're too good at something you should be raped more than anyone else.

I really don't follow this stuff too closely, but wasn't lance involved in some big drug thing a couple of years ago?

No. I'm just giving some context as to why this has gone on so long.

Recently the us department of justice investigated the us postal team for fraud. Basically to see if they used government money (the us postal sponsorship) to engage in doping. They didn't have enough evidence to prosecute. Many cite that as proof lance wasn't doping.

For the record, I'm on the fence as to what should happen.

Aug. 24, 2012, 10:57 a.m.

This was the easiest way for him to get out of the charges and he still gets to be a hero for millions.

Bold added by me. This is an important point, I think. Armstrong's image is so much bigger than an individual now. His cancer foundation has raised nearly $500 million for cancer treatments and research. That is very significant, and in a lot of ways it eclipses Armstrong's personal achievements. The backlash from this could be hurting a lot more than just Armstrong himself - who doesn't really seem to care any more about his own image.

But I'm with DaveM, et al.. He wasn't found guilty while competing, despite being tested regularly throughout his career, so why continue? Not to mention that the USADA is bringing forward charges outside it's own statute of limitations (8 years). So why can they make their own rules for this single individual? They are fighting for fair play in sport but using unfair tactics with respect to a single athlete. Seems hypocritical.

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:02 a.m.

Bold added by me. This is an important point, I think. Armstrong's image is so much bigger than an individual now. His cancer foundation has raised nearly $500 million for cancer treatments and research. That is very significant, and in a lot of ways it eclipses Armstrong's personal achievements. The backlash from this could be hurting a lot more than just Armstrong himself - who doesn't really seem to care any more about his own image.

But I'm with DaveM, et al.. He wasn't found guilty while competing, despite being tested regularly throughout his career, so why continue? Not to mention that the USADA is bringing forward charges outside it's own statute of limitations (8 years). So why can they make their own rules for this single individual? They are fighting for fair play in sport but using unfair tactics with respect to a single athlete. Seems hypocritical.

Livestrong stopped funding cancer research many years ago. That's one of the false facts bandied about by Armstrong supporters. Just saying.

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:05 a.m.

I just wish they would get it over with and focus on current doping

so shut down the sport for 5 years, figure out a way to test better than the doctors that are figuring away around the tests, test everyone and their dog every week then start up again after everyone's system cleans out?

IF Armstrong used anything, he only cheated against the rest of the cheaters.

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:11 a.m.

Livestrong stopped funding cancer research many years ago. That's one of the false facts bandied about by Armstrong supporters. Just saying.

Sorry, not research, you are correct. But they still provide support for cancer patients, which is more important in my opinion. The nature of cancer will make it virtually impossible to prevent, but care for patients will go a long way to improve quality of life for those suffering.

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:13 a.m.

What do they fund then? How does one have a charity but keep 100% of the proceeds?

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:18 a.m.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/lance-armstrong-gives-up-fight-against-usada--raising-questions-about-his-innocence-.html

Even the popular cycling analyst and blogger, Neil Browne, who once lost a job because he ran afoul of Armstrong, remembers his father dying a horrible death from cancer, proclaiming: "If Lance could beat this so can I."

"My father was a cyclist, he knew Lance was doping, he knew the drill but he didn't care," Browne said late Thursday. "Lance beat cancer."

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:20 a.m.

Wow, wat? I didn't know that.

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:28 a.m.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/lance-armstrong-gives-up-fight-against-usada--raising-questions-about-his-innocence-.html

I don't like that article because it doesn't really represent what is happening - the quote you pulled from it is good, but it seems to be out of context of the article.

From my understanding, Armstrong is refusing to participate in the USADA's arbitration, and is rather making them present their evidence to the UCI and other external sources. This is fair.

Also, the article seems to be saying that the allegations of doping, true or not, take away from the fact that he did beat cancer, which I find disconcerting. He used his fame, legitimately earned or not, and used it to help a lot of people. That is still worthy of praise, far more than his achievements in sport.