Armstrong stripped of titles (Merged Lance threads)

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:37 a.m.

What do they fund then? How does one have a charity but keep 100% of the proceeds?

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/athletes/lance-armstrong/Its-Not-About-the-Lab-Rats.html?page=all

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:38 a.m.

You win, you get tested, 3 or 6 month window for disputes, after that it stands. I think it's BS that they can go back that far.

That communicates the message to competitors that they have full license to take any banned substance for which there is no known or reliable test. Competitors need to know that, if they take something banned, it could nip them any time in the future. When a new test is developed then older, stored samples can be re-tested with the new regime.

This isn't the court of law and legal rules/precedents do not apply. The governing body of the sport makes the rules and they are to be followed.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:46 a.m.

This isn't the court of law and legal rules/precedents do not apply. The governing body of the sport makes the rules and they are to be followed.

Hmm I didn't know USADA and WADA where cycling's governing bodies? Was this a hostile takeover done via some secret Illuminati shado cabinet? Do you have a link to Counter Punch that confirms this?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:51 a.m.

solution to doping: abolish 'winning' and give everyone participation medals. then they could do a right proper tour de france - ie, riding with baskets filled w/ bagettes [HTML_REMOVED] cheese, stopping at wineries along the way… a civilized booze cruise.

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:55 a.m.

Wow, wat? I didn't know that.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/athletes/lance-armstrong/Its-Not-About-the-Lab-Rats.html?page=all

But cancer research, in the lab, is only one portion of what needs to be done to help people who are fighting cancer. That article states that the funding for lab research is already very high, and that the organization felt the funds would be better used helping those who are already affected by the disease.

It's not like the organization is doing nothing to help, so we're all clear.

Aug. 24, 2012, 11:56 a.m.

Finding someone guilty of doping many years later seems relatively insignificant. The joy of winning, the accolades and sponsorships have already been awarded.

Also, if extra testing is going to take place it should apply to all the athletes.

Aug. 24, 2012, 12:03 p.m.

But cancer research, in the lab, is only one portion of what needs to be done to help people who are fighting cancer. That article states that the funding for lab research is already very high, and that the organization felt the funds would be better used helping those who are already affected by the disease.

It's not like the organization is doing nothing to help, so we're all clear.

Agreed.

However I do feel much of livestrong is just PR for Lance.

Aug. 24, 2012, 12:05 p.m.

Ya - the proven innocent this is a crock.

Yes he was tested - so what. At one time in criminal cases they would take blood samples. The best tech they had at that time might allow them to prove a blood type. Lots of people were never charged as there wasn't enough evidence.

Later they developed tests for DNA - guess they shouldn't go back and look at all those cases again should they?

Collecting a piss sample and testing it is not a "trial" by any means. It doesn't prove anything, even the positive tests can be wrong and if history teaches us anything negative tests don't prove an athlete isn't doping.

Further, when you ask to compete in certain sports you sign away certain rights. The police can't come to my door and ask me to pee in a cup. But I am currently not licensed to ride in the tour. The doping agencies can go to an athlete's door and make that request. The athlete doesn't have to comply but they don't have to compete either. All I am saying is, just like agreeing to pee in a cup on demand, you should be cognisant that you no longer own that pee and if a new test comes along and can detect substances not detectable with current tests you may still be held to account.

Aug. 24, 2012, 12:15 p.m.

Has lance not been tested time and time again? How many times has he failed? Like I say, I don't follow this closely…..it's seems every time someone is successful at something a group of people can't wait to take him down. Anyhow, I do realize I actually posted in this thread more than I really care about the subject.

Good luck lance.

Aug. 24, 2012, 12:19 p.m.

The joy of winning, the accolades and sponsorships have already been awarded.

+1

None of the above can be undone. As many have said, the sport is corrupt and the cheaters are only racing against the cheaters, so really, whatever they do to LA is completely irrelevant.

Aug. 24, 2012, 12:57 p.m.

Has lance not been tested time and time again? How many times has he failed? Like I say, I don't follow this closely…..it's seems every time someone is successful at something a group of people can't wait to take him down. Anyhow, I do realize I actually posted in this thread more than I really care about the subject.

Good luck lance.

Well at least you have given me something to do this morning ;)

It is alleged there were suspicious EPO results in a test from the tour de Suisse in 2001. Shortly thereafter, lance made donations of 125,000 dollars to the UCI.

Aug. 24, 2012, 1:12 p.m.

solution to doping: abolish 'winning' and give everyone participation medals. then they could do a right proper tour de france - ie, riding with baskets filled w/ bagettes [HTML_REMOVED] cheese, stopping at wineries along the way… a civilized booze cruise.

Marry me!
Michael Bluth

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 24, 2012, 2:02 p.m.

It is alleged there were suspicious EPO results in a test from the tour de Suisse in 2001. Shortly thereafter, lance made donations of 125,000 dollars to the UCI.

bingo, I totally would not be surprised if the UCI was complicit in the whole matter

Aug. 24, 2012, 2:09 p.m.

Well at least you have given me something to do this morning ;)

Ya it did help pass time on the ferry ride to the island and now I find myself catching up as I sit in a Safeway parking lot while the wife does some grocery shopping for snacks……

Aug. 24, 2012, 2:49 p.m.

http://drunkcyclist.com/2012/08/23/i-believe-lance/

be sure to read the comments for extra effect