Advice Please....

Aug. 21, 2012, 12:45 p.m.

I am looking to getting a road bike to rehab from a broken pelvis….anyone had experience with one of these… http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75527 …seems like a great deal to my uneducated roadie eyes…I will be riding mostly in Squamish and up to Whistler (if I overcome my fear of the Hwy), focusing of longer rides vs entering any races.

Does the geometry/gearing of the frame seem right for my needs….I am trying to educate myself re. race vs enduro, compact chain-rings etc.

I have been on a few rides on an old Jake the Snake Cyclecross bike that just doesn't (not surprisingly) feel like the tool for the job…

Havent found many road bike reviews…

Thanks in advance!
c

Aug. 21, 2012, 1:41 p.m.

That's a good price for an Ultegra level bike. Decent wheels too.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 21, 2012, 1:50 p.m.

The handlebar shape looks awful – too sharp an angle from the flat and a uselessly low drop – and the seat will most likely need to be swapped out. If you are committed to buying a bike online, I'd recommend going to a shop that can look at the geometry charts and get you on the right size bike guaranteed.

Though if that Jake the Snake is at your disposal, I'd get in to said bike shop to see if it can be made to fit you comfortably with new seat/stem/bar.

flickr

Aug. 21, 2012, 2:55 p.m.

I am going to compare specs with other bikes I can sit on….at the price I dont think it should be a problem with swapping bars, chainrings etc

Trying to decide on Med or Large

Aug. 21, 2012, 2:56 p.m.

I'll keep the Snake and put the cross tires on or give it away…

Aug. 21, 2012, 3:37 p.m.

How tall are you?

Wait a tick, they don't even have a geometry chart, and they list a 55 and a 60, not M/L.

flickr

Aug. 21, 2012, 5:10 p.m.

$2330 (shipping in), I think you may be give a LBS the chance to offer something, if they know you're going to drop coin they may want to at least come to the table with a best offer, then you have some tech support and stimulate locally. IMHO.

Studio B Fine Art and Photographic Prints

Aug. 21, 2012, 9:56 p.m.

Hey Colin … if you're looking to do mostly long, touring type rides, you might be better off with the more "relaxed" geometry a less race specific frame will offer you. "Relaxed" is relative … it ain't gonna be like riding a townie … just not as aggressive as pure race geometry. For example, the Trek Domane has more "relaxed" geometry than the Trek Madone (longer chainstays, slacker head angle, different bb drop, taller headtube).

Good luck with the rehab.

:canada: :england:

Aug. 21, 2012, 10:04 p.m.

I recently got a road bike again after retiring from racing in 2006. I find the frame relaxed or race is not that much of a deal breaker but I would definitely go compact 50-34 with a 28. I am glad i did, I always was a spinner and I see so many people mashing gears up the hills…trying to be tour wannabes…and like someone said here a local shop can probably help you out although you won't get ultegra at that price…I got di2 which is kick ass!

:woot:

@davenorona

@Dave Norona

Aug. 21, 2012, 10:47 p.m.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/defy.composite.1/9764/49350/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/technology/composite_technology/40/

hawt
http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes/road/cyclocross/superx/2012-super-x-3-ultegra-21552

Aug. 21, 2012, 10:48 p.m.

Don't forget to factor into your cost that complete bikes are subject to a 13% import duty.

Aug. 22, 2012, 11:49 a.m.

Point Roberts /Sumas

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

Know many folks with these rides, all stoked. Quality frames, quality groupsets.

Last time I researched, most of the frames (inc the carbon ones) are built at Pacific Cycles, so you can't really go wrong.

I'm on my third year of a aluminium/carbon/ultegra ride that I bought for under $1k.

Even if you're a frame/name snob, buy one for the groupset/wheels etc, and swap frames, you'll be well ahead :)

Aug. 22, 2012, 1:57 p.m.

Hey PT Colin, sorry to hear about your injury, but I can't recommend buying a bike online, mostly because you have numerous GREAT bike shops in Squamish that would be more than happy to work with you to find the right ride. I'd recommend having a chat with the folks at Republic Bikes in Brackendale or Corsa Cycles at the "IGA" mall…
Seriously - don't buy a complete bike online! ^^^those are great shops, and can get you fitted up right. Especially important for a successful rehab!

In terms of specific models, try a Norco Valence or Specialized Roubaix. Those are both "endurance" road bikes that would offer a more forgiving ride than the bike you linked. Most bike shops/companies are looking to move inventory at the moment, so you could likely score a good deal this time of year.
Cheers,