Advice on durable wheels and tires...

Jan. 3, 2006, 6 a.m.

That's good to know. Are there specific tools involved or do they use a brute force method?

You need a frame alignment tool to make sure that you spread the frame evenly.

After spreading the frame, you use a dropout alignment tool to make sure the dropouts are parallel.

As far as wheels go, I have 36h Velocity deep V rims, DT 14g spokes(of course), and campy veloce hubs. Bombproof. I ride trails on my road bike all the time, hop curbs, etc. I'm pushing 2 bills. The mavic cxp22 is very durable as well.

Jan. 3, 2006, 8:07 a.m.

You need a frame alignment tool to make sure that you spread the frame evenly.

I agree. That's why I was curious about what kind of cold setting they are doing for $10.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 3, 2006, 1:28 p.m.

they use the Sheldon Brown method,

http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

and it's an old guy with a ton of experience :)

I wouldn't use it for an Italian bespoke frame, but to prolong the life of a "family heirloom" it does the job a treat

As a thread crap, we pounded out to Point Roberts yesterday, a nice ride but a bit tricky to find our way over the Queensborough/Alex Fraser

So much fun, I sold my OCR this am, and am about to pull the trigger on this one (not a purists bike, but decent spec, kinesium/carbon stays, wcs wheelset, ultegra 10 speed etc):

http://www.bikesdirect.com/10dayspecial/rbr_gtwaypg_lec_jan10th.html

p.s. You'll love the Korso's, super deal!

Jan. 3, 2006, 2:23 p.m.

not a purists bike

Do it! Those bikes are worth the price of the components alone. Who cares about the brand. You can always purchase your dream frame and more the components over.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Jan. 3, 2006, 6:28 p.m.

Yeah I'm not too worried about the spacing as the frame I have is a 56cm and I'm a little over 6'3 so it's a very "for the mean time" frame and is not fitted to me by any means. So now I'm on the prowl for a frame in the 60-62cm range so if anyone has one out there, I'm not picky about makes or models.

I will basically buy a complete bike by the end of this, but since time and not money is what I have right now (I'm at BCIT)I figured I'll just go part by part and make a bike how I want it, and keep my eyes open for unbelievable deals like the wheels, and now like that complete bike deal mentioned above. Maybe near tax time, they'll have my name on one of those boxes.

Jan. 4, 2006, 2:51 p.m.

Oops well I'm back on the market, the deal apparently was too good, and too many people beat me to it. They're out of stock and thus the deal ends.

It looks like I'll probably get one of the cxp22/105 fronts from sports junkies pomo, and be on the lookout for a open pro rear with the best hub I can afford, or the one I already have on the bike currently.

Jan. 4, 2006, 8:24 p.m.

Don't sweat the Korso's, the front wheels are limp little noodles best ridden by flyweights or wives. Just rebuild your old hubs and keep it simple. I've burned up a lot of wheels and I've found those Velocity's a good choice for building a set of winter meatstick wheels.

Ride More Bitch Less

Jan. 4, 2006, 9:07 p.m.

Also, keep an eye on the CyclingBC classified site and Craigslist. This wheelset is a good deal, but is probably gone by now:

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/bik/121948963.html

Jan. 7, 2006, 4:50 p.m.

Thanks for the info sarensho, I picked up those wheels this morning for $100 what a deal, 2 open pro's on 105's and a set of tires and tubes. That's better than anything I could have imagined.

Jan. 7, 2006, 7:09 p.m.

So much fun, I sold my OCR this am, and am about to pull the trigger on this one (not a purists bike, but decent spec, kinesium/carbon stays, wcs wheelset, ultegra 10 speed etc):

http://www.bikesdirect.com/10dayspecial/rbr_gtwaypg_lec_jan10th.html

p.s. You'll love the Korso's, super deal!

Those $1100 (USD) Motobecanes have been discussed a lot at the bikeforums.net road section, some people noticed that theirs arrived without any grease on the bottom bracket threads. Also double-check tightness of the stem and bar fastening bolts. You might want to take it completely apart and reassemble, the consensus seems to be that they're built in a hurry by people who aren't completely familiar with road bikes…

Great deal for the money, the guy who owns the Bikesdirect corporation sells the same bike, with a different paint job and badging, as a "Fuji Team SL" on ebay for $1095.

Try searching ebay…

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Jan. 8, 2006, 7:38 a.m.

Thanks for the info sarensho, I picked up those wheels this morning for $100 what a deal, 2 open pro's on 105's and a set of tires and tubes. That's better than anything I could have imagined.

Seriously smokin' deal.:smokey:

Jan. 8, 2006, 5:27 p.m.

Didn't go to with the Motobecane, yet.

Bought this one (40th bike/frame in 4.5 years) :

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem[HTML_REMOVED]item=7209127764[HTML_REMOVED]rd=1[HTML_REMOVED]sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT[HTML_REMOVED]rd=1

16.9 lb for $1095 still sounds good though. I'm not worried about build quality, as it's a mail order cheapie. You shouldn't be looking at them if you don't know how to fix em :)