Advice on durable wheels and tires...

Dec. 29, 2005, 5:19 p.m.

First off I've been reading and watching the topics in here and am happy there is a dedicated forum for the bike lovers on the board, not just the freeride bike lovers.

I have an older bike that was a nice ride when it was new (early 90's), but the wheels are set up for glue on tires, which I don't really care for despite (insert all advantages etc.). I want regular tubes and tires like my other bikes because this is what I'm familiar with and because I think they are easier/cheaper to repair in the likely event of a flat.

So my question is what rim or wheel is a good choice, and what tire. I am looking for durability, and ease of operation meaning as few flats as possible, and tough wheels. Since anything road is lighter than my mtb gear I am not concerned about weight too much, more durability. I'm hoping to spend maybe $400 for both wheels.

I have done some research on my own on roadbikereview, but I am curious to hear some personal experience from locals.

Dec. 29, 2005, 5:47 p.m.

Hello there. Can't help much there but I suggest you copy this message, then delete it and repost in the Gear section youll get a lot more responses there. If you don't move this thread and it goes missing then look in the Gear section cause one of the Admins will likely move it there.

Good luck I'm sure someone will have advice for you.

ha ha, I'm just livin my life man.

Dec. 29, 2005, 7:50 p.m.

Campy or Shimano?

Try here

http://www.cycling.bc.ca/index.php?id=155

or the board at MEC

Dec. 29, 2005, 9:38 p.m.

I like the mavic open pro's 32 hole with the hub of your choice,I have a pair with a Ultegra rear hub Mavic front that started out as my race wheels 6 years ago and are now on my winter bike,the rear is just about done,hoping it lasts the winter.Go 3 cross.

Dec. 29, 2005, 11:03 p.m.

If you're a clydesdale, you might think about going with a 36H rim.

Otherwise, a handbuilt 32H rim laced 3X with double-butted spokes and brass nipples should be fine. Since you're not concerned about weight/aero, almost any Mavic rim (such as the Open Pros mentioned above) should be fine.

You can easily do a build with Shimano hubs for well under $400. Even cheaper if you buy a prebuilt wheel from a US online retailer.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 30, 2005, 9:59 a.m.

I'm pretty partial to THESE. I think they retail for $350/US. I have the model prior to those and they are great on the road as well as strong enough to withstand cyclocross racing.

Tires…that one's more of a personal preference thing, IMHO. During summer I run Vittoria Rubino Pros and for winter I am all about the Specialized Armadillos.

South Sea-Tac Flowpark Gallery
KEEP IT GREEN!
This signature is brought to you by the letter "H" and by the number "6"

Dec. 30, 2005, 4 p.m.

Also, double check the rear OLD (dropout spacing) on your bike. Could be 126 mm (6- or 7-speed) instead of the current 130 mm OLD. Although 4 mm is not a lot, it might make sense to rebuild on your current hubs. (You have other options, too.)

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 31, 2005, 2:13 p.m.

Thanks for the tips about the spacing, I never thought it might be different. You are probably right too because I heard the bb size is unusual so the rear spacing might be too. I've got my eye on a set of open pro's with 105 hubs front and rear for $350, but if the hub doesn't fit I might just get the rear rebuilt.

Also in the original question I have heard the specialized armadillo is a tough tire any other ideas preferably cheap-ish if possible. I weigh 185lbs so no clydesdale but not like a feather either.

Dec. 31, 2005, 2:55 p.m.

Ritchey Tom Slicks are a pretty decent [HTML_REMOVED] affordable tire. I used to roll those back in my courier days. Fairly durable and grippy.

KEEP IT GREEN!

Jan. 1, 2006, 10:38 p.m.

You want strong… Durable wheels? How about this:

32 hole rims such as Mavic CXP22, CXP33, about 470-490g/rim

32 DT 14 gauge spokes, 3-cross pattern

Build with your choice of decent hubs. Depends on budget. 105, Ultegra, one of the DT 32-hole models, King Classic, etc.

Should come in around 2000g, my CXP22/32spoke/105 set is 2050. Very strong for winter use.

tires, hutchinson, continental or michelin kevlar bead in the 215-230 gram range, assuming you want 23mm. there's various models ranging from budget ($20/tire) to $55/tire dual compound such as the michelin pro2 race. If you want serious flat protection and don't mind the extra weight try something like a specialized armadillo (320 gram).

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Jan. 2, 2006, 9:18 p.m.

Thanks for the help guys but I have gone against the best advice and bought these.

https://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=25583

I checked around some roadie forums (maybe not the best place) but heard that these wheels are rebadged neuvation m28's which from what I've read are pretty good wheels. If they turn out to be not that great which I'm not really expecting, at least it's only $150cd(shipping and GST included) for a set which is pretty damn cheap. I did find some of the cxp22's at the sports junkies for pretty cheap but for a wheel set it was going to still be over 300 after all so half price just seemed too good to pass up. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Jan. 2, 2006, 9:25 p.m.

I've heard good things about those wheels. Can't go wrong at that price.

If your dropout spacing turns out to be 126 mm, you have a couple of options including just forcing the wheel into the dropouts. If it's a steel frame, you can have it professionally spread or spread it yourself. There's also the issue of how many speeds you're running and cassette vs freewheel, etc. Can't comment on those without knowing more about your setup.

Jan. 2, 2006, 9:34 p.m.

That's a good deal for sure. Those will hold up long enough to where you can build up a set to your own specs. You can also take some of the $$$$ that you saved on those and get some solid rubber to slap on 'em.

KEEP IT GREEN!

Jan. 2, 2006, 10:35 p.m.

Sports Junkies on Broadway will do a quick and cheesy cold set on your rear end for $10 (if required). I know people that have had no probs at all with them.

Jan. 2, 2006, 10:59 p.m.

Sports Junkies on Broadway will do a quick and cheesy cold set on your rear end for $10 (if required). I know people that have had no probs at all with them.

That's good to know. Are there specific tools involved or do they use a brute force method?