622x23 road tire Vs. gravel road?

Aug. 5, 2014, 9:14 a.m.

Dropped down to 93psi for the quick burn this AM

Felt smoother, and possibly faster

FYI I was surprised to see the Pro4 SCs have a 109psi Max rating

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 5, 2014, 9:18 a.m.

Dropped down to 93psi for the quick burn this AM

Felt smoother, and possibly faster

124 lb here and I run 90 psi front/rear. You're in the right range for sure.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 6, 2014, 2:56 a.m.

This is overstated. I'm 210 lbs (i.e. not light) and I run my tires at 100psi - anywhere from 20-40psi below a tire's max. There is a noticeable difference in comfort from 130psi to 100psi. In the last five years, I've had a couple of punctures, but never ever a pinch.

Clearly an under-inflated tire is at risk, but you definitely don't need to run them at max.

Maximum for 23C tire is approximately 120psi. At 210 I'd run close to that pressure, but like almost anything personal preference is involved.

I ran lower pressure a couple times and I felt more pebbles on the side of the road/highway (which was a weird feeling). Small bump absorption was slightly better. However I also pinch flatted both times within a couple rides. At 110 to 120 psi (max rating is 120 for my tires), flats are now a rare event and pinch flats do not happen, the ride is actually better overall, and the tires don't squirm as much. Personally, I always look for how much deflection there is on the tire when seated on the bike. Right amount provides best rolling, grip (weather dependent), and safety. Too much or too little pressure can have the bad side effect of the tire bead unseating.

If suppleness of ride is important, bike components can absorb vibration. Thicker handlebar wrap or gel underlays remove shock from the hands; padded seat or good padded shorts remove vibration from the butt.

Want to calculate your tire pressure? Ask Vittoria:
http://www.vittoria.com/tech/recom-tyre-pressure/

Or ask Michelin:

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 12, 2016, 10:07 p.m.

… I had a rock hit an RCMP cruiser, buddy law thot it was a sniper so he pulls over at the end of the block to start a search, he was calling in more units [HTML_REMOVED] K9 when I rode over and fessed up to the hit, buddy law seemed pretty happy that it was just some clean cut citizen wearing a lot of lycra … they probably all went to tims for coffee instead

this happens to me alllll the time….

Aug. 15, 2016, 8:17 a.m.

Yeah he was out of the unit and looking for the perp when I rode up, so buddy law pats the stem of my bike and said " you have a nice day and be careful out there" kinda wierd

Aug. 15, 2016, 11:59 a.m.

apparently wider tire at same psi rolls faster anyways..http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/tech-faq-seriously-wider-tires-have-lower-rolling-resistance-than-their-narrower-brethren_209268

That's crazy who would ever of thought.
After riding the AM bike up Cypress yesterday, being passed constantly to give Jersey Shore a go. Think I may pull the road bike out of storage, spandy up and go for a rip. Need to repair my ass hurt feelings.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Aug. 15, 2016, 12:04 p.m.

…Think I may pull the road bike out of storage, spandy up and go for a rip. Need to repair my ass hurt feelings.

that's a personal decision..lol. i saw a dude in lycra yday.. not a sweet sweet look. some (very few) guys can pull it off better than others. i go chamois under shorts myself.. I'm just not that fast.

Aug. 15, 2016, 9:56 p.m.

That's crazy who would ever of thought.
After riding the AM bike up Cypress yesterday, being passed constantly to give Jersey Shore a go. Think I may pull the road bike out of storage, spandy up and go for a rip. Need to repair my ass hurt feelings.

Wasn't there some form of road event on Cypress Rd on Sunday? Everyone we passed had number plates on.

Since this thread was bumped I should add that I'm back on 23s as of a few weeks ago from 25s. In the future, as with new tires or new bike I'll be looking for 25s as the very smallest tire to run. Only downside to 25s on the TCR is the inability to install/remove a properly inflated tire due to brake pad clearances.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 15, 2016, 10:31 p.m.

Wasn't there some form of road event on Cypress Rd on Sunday? Everyone we passed had number plates on.

Cypress Challenge.

I've been running 25c front tires for years. Always made sense to me to have wide rubber on the front, will be switching to 25c rear too as soon as the rubber wears out.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 16, 2016, 7:21 a.m.

that's a personal decision..lol. i saw a dude in lycra yday.. not a sweet sweet look. some (very few) guys can pull it off better than others. i go chamois under shorts myself.. I'm just not that fast.

I probably look terrible, but feel oh so sexy

Aug. 16, 2016, 7:31 a.m.

I probably look terrible, but feel oh so sexy

lol, it is all about how you feel.

Aug. 16, 2016, 12:54 p.m.

It's a lot cooler this time of year without the over shorts….just sayin'

Aug. 16, 2016, 2:08 p.m.

i don't really go fast enough…. do you clip clop thru the coffee shops in yer nut huggers ?, thats my fav move..

Aug. 16, 2016, 3:03 p.m.

Aug. 16, 2016, 3:51 p.m.

Hey now lets not muddy up this thread with Tri photos.

Originally Posted by sAFETY
As a vegitarian, I don't eat bacon, as a human being I crave and miss it.