622x23 road tire Vs. gravel road?

July 13, 2014, 7:10 p.m.

Road bikes on gravel. So hot right now.

I'm kitting out my 531 ride for gravel. Should I go 37c or 40c in the Clements?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 13, 2014, 10:41 p.m.

I'm kitting out my 531 ride for gravel. Should I go 37c or 40c in the Clements?

Oh no I see 35c is the bomb?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 20, 2014, 1:49 p.m.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/vittoria-open-corsa-cx-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod109586

I haven't actualy got the tires yet cuz they mailed em (from GB?) and its only been 10 days but there is only 2 days left on the free shipping to Canada so I thot I should mention it for anyone who might be tire shopping, only 102$ on my visa bill for a pair of the Vittoria Open Corsa in 700-25C …good deal IMO

Check for the smoking deals on the michy pro4 and other tires as well

July 20, 2014, 2:48 p.m.

Pretty okay deal on the Pro4s, I guess

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 27, 2014, 1:33 p.m.

Went for a quick, short ride on the 25s after work Thursday evening between rain showers.

Those tires are big, inflated they don't clear the brake pads when removing or installing a wheel. The rear tire has minimal clearance with the seat tube. It is currently nice to have a front tire that doesn't have a gorilla tape patch over a hole in the sidewall. Can't tell if they were faster or slower, but likely a better tire than I had before

July 28, 2014, 2:41 a.m.

Went for a quick, short ride on the 25s after work Thursday evening between rain showers.

Those tires are big, inflated they don't clear the brake pads when removing or installing a wheel. The rear tire has minimal clearance with the seat tube. It is currently nice to have a front tire that doesn't have a gorilla tape patch over a hole in the sidewall. Can't tell if they were faster or slower, but likely a better tire than I had before

comfort?

I'd also recommend not filling them up like you would your 23s… The 23s, I basically put in the max 130… On the 25s, I usually put in around 100 and don't feel like my tires are collapsing.

July 28, 2014, 1:44 p.m.

Hard to gauge comfort level.
All the heavy rainfall made the side of the road a rock strewn mess. I wondered if the smaller tires would've flatted.

Max psi on the Pro4s is 109psi, I believe I ran high 90s in them. Old 23s I was playing around with psi in the 100-108 range

July 30, 2014, 8:31 p.m.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/vittoria-open-corsa-cx-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod109586

I haven't actualy got the tires yet

Okay so just an FYI its 18 days by mail from yurp [HTML_REMOVED] even with free shipping to Canada you still pay GST/PST which you normaly would but Canada fucking Post will charge you an 11$ handling fee still there was a good saving over MEC and I do like the tires, Vittoria recommend 115-145 but I got em riding real nice at 95

July 30, 2014, 10:27 p.m.

^Yeah what is with shipping being charged now?

Anyway, went for a real ride on the 25 Pro4s today. 2200m over 107.5Km. Longest ride ever, most elevation gain on the road bike. Started the ride at 10am so I knew I'd have to deal with the heat.

Ran the tires at 101psi

July 30, 2014, 11:27 p.m.

What one of you folks have Strava? Could always use some rides showing up in my feed to get me motivated.

July 31, 2014, 12:04 p.m.

^Check your reps

Aug. 5, 2014, 3:10 a.m.

My commuting tires are Maxxis Re-Fuse, $45 at MEC. I run them at 130 PSI, (they come as a X23 or X25). Lots of gravel, never a flat (they have a kevlar belt, silkworm anti-flat lining, plus yadayadayada thisthaththeother). They are a slick with a slight thread which is good for offroad climb traction. I always ride at or near max pressure. If road conditions are so bad, I would need to run them at lower pressure, that's my cue that the road is not safe for a road ride (I have canti rim brakes) and I take the MTB hardtail instead.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-261/maxxis-re-fuse-700-folding-tire/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008[HTML_REMOVED]h=10[HTML_REMOVED]q=tires%2Bmaxxis

Not weight-weenie approved!

^Yeah what is with shipping being charged now?

Anyway, went for a real ride on the 25 Pro4s today. 2200m over 107.5Km. Longest ride ever, most elevation gain on the road bike. Started the ride at 10am so I knew I'd have to deal with the heat.

Ran the tires at 101psi

Good ride!

Unless you're light, run your tires at or near maximum pressure to avoid pinch flats (which will happen quite easily on underinflated road tires).

For winter tires, the Continental Gatorskin have a good reputation. Or the tires that Duncan posted as if he and Fast Orange like them that's a good recommendation (and the price is good to boot).

The Vittoria Corsa has a pretty low rolling resistance (according to a review I've linked below), but like lacks grip because of that.

Tire reviews, if that matters:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels-tires/what-best-tires-290276.html

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/best-road-racing-tyres-35215/

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/tires-clincher/pls_2489_00crx.aspx

CRC sometimes has good pricing on tires with a good selection.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 5, 2014, 3:36 a.m.

Thanks man
I'm 142lbs or somewhere in that area. Been road riding for just under a year. I've been experimenting with pressures in the last while, but hard to know what is faster or not. I like that after I bought a digi pressure gauge and started putting 90+psi in my flats went down a lot.

Thinking about getting some 4season Conti GTs for winter or something similar.

Aug. 5, 2014, 3:52 a.m.

Those have a decent rating.

If you're 142, then you shouldn't need max pressure. Letting out a little air may soften the ride.

Usually look down at the rear tire and see how much selection you're getting when riding in a seated position. There shouldn't be much as too much makes flatting easier and the ride squirmier. Worst problem with overinflation is popping the tire off the rim.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 5, 2014, 9:03 a.m.

Unless you're light, run your tires at or near maximum pressure to avoid pinch flats (which will happen quite easily on underinflated road tires).

This is overstated. I'm 210 lbs (i.e. not light) and I run my tires at 100psi - anywhere from 20-40psi below a tire's max. There is a noticeable difference in comfort from 130psi to 100psi. In the last five years, I've had a couple of punctures, but never ever a pinch.

Clearly an under-inflated tire is at risk, but you definitely don't need to run them at max.