622x23 road tire Vs. gravel road?

June 29, 2014, noon

Haven't tried Michelins, but I'm running conti gp4000s like everyone else and they've treated me great (NOT version II).

At equivalent PSIs, 25s have less rolling resistance than 23s. Less aero of course, but for what I'm doing, that is borderline irrelevant.

What it means for me is I can run my tires at 90-100 instead of 110-120. I basically have the same rolling resistance or BETTER AND i don't feel every single tiny bump in the road way more comfortable.

If you're looking at getting new tires, I wouldn't bother with 23s but that's just me.

June 29, 2014, 1 p.m.

Haven't tried Michelins, but I'm running conti gp4000s like everyone else and they've treated me great (NOT version II).

What it means for me is I can run my tires at 90-100 instead of 110-120. I basically have the same rolling resistance or BETTER AND i don't feel every single tiny bump in the road way more comfortable.

If you're looking at getting new tires, I wouldn't bother with 23s but that's just me.

No experience with the IIs or have people been unimpressed?

I found Schwalbe One Evo in 25s, anyone run these? I'd go Pro4s in 25s if I could find them, but can't seem to

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 29, 2014, 8:12 p.m.

25c I can run at 90-100 haven't had any flats at that psi, 23c I got to run at 125psi and I still get flats
also at high pressure the rocks ping off the tire , I had a rock hit an RCMP cruiser, buddy law thot it was a sniper so he pulls over at the end of the block to start a search, he was calling in more units [HTML_REMOVED] K9 when I rode over and fessed up to the hit, buddy law seemed pretty happy that it was just some clean cut citizen wearing a lot of lycra … they probably all went to tims for coffee instead

June 29, 2014, 8:53 p.m.

Im not sure what size tubes Im running right now.

Im TIRED OF THE INSANITY!!!

June 29, 2014, 11:38 p.m.

No experience with the IIs or have people been unimpressed?

I found Schwalbe One Evo in 25s, anyone run these? I'd go Pro4s in 25s if I could find them, but can't seem to

Just haven't tried them. People seem happy with them but I can't justify the almost double the price.

and the tubes you have in the 23s… are probably fine for the 25s…

The real solution is just to get new wheels while you're at it ;)

June 29, 2014, 11:55 p.m.

Tubes do not need to be switched out. If you don't get flats, a lightweight butyl tube rides nicely as does a latex tube (but you need to pump up each ride). Don't bother if you ride Contis though, you need a supple tire to notice the improvement.

Vittoria Open Corsa CX also has a lot of fans for ride quality, I ride the Diamante Pro Light on the front and it's been a fantastic tire.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 8, 2014, 6:32 p.m.

Checked out the bike today before lending it to a buddy for the tri and all kinds of shit happened including a kacked rear tire, fortunately I have a spare but it is time to buy a set of tires

Ordering from mec it looks like a toss up between the Vitoria Open Corsa and the Conti GP 4000 s II, both are available in 25, the Vitoria seems to have a loyal following and no comments yet on the Conti's SO slight nod to the Vitoria?

where else is good to buy tires on line preferably in canada ?

July 8, 2014, 8:15 p.m.

My commuting tires are Maxxis Re-Fuse, $45 at MEC. I run them at 130 PSI, (they come as a X23 or X25). Lots of gravel, never a flat (they have a kevlar belt, silkworm anti-flat lining, plus yadayadayada thisthaththeother). They are a slick with a slight thread which is good for offroad climb traction. I always ride at or near max pressure. If road conditions are so bad, I would need to run them at lower pressure, that's my cue that the road is not safe for a road ride (I have canti rim brakes) and I take the MTB hardtail instead.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-261/maxxis-re-fuse-700-folding-tire/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008[HTML_REMOVED]h=10[HTML_REMOVED]q=tires%2Bmaxxis

July 8, 2014, 11:25 p.m.

Ordering from mec it looks like a toss up between the Vitoria Open Corsa and the Conti GP 4000 s II, both are available in 25, the Vitoria seems to have a loyal following and no comments yet on the Conti's SO slight nod to the Vitoria?/QUOTE]

Seemingly can't go wrong with either…

the original 4000s was great, so the 4000s II is TWICE AS GOOD?

July 9, 2014, 8:29 a.m.

the original 4000s was great, so the 4000s II is TWICE AS GOOD?

No idea. I went Michi Pro4s;)

July 9, 2014, 12:48 p.m.

I have been liking these lately, only flat I had in a year "knock on Wood" was a nail through the sidewall - http://www.competitivecyclist.com/vredestein-fortezza-tricomp-tire - Get them sent to Pt. Bob's

They don't run as smooth as my favorite tire Vittoria CX but last twice as long.

July 9, 2014, 1:15 p.m.

Except it would take me 26 hrs and 400$ in fuel to drive over [HTML_REMOVED] pick them up so instead I ordered a pair of the Vittoria CX at Chain Reaction, I hope they don't suck to deal with

[HTML_REMOVED]40% off and free shipping to canada

July 9, 2014, 3:36 p.m.

Except it would take me 26 hrs and 400$ in fuel to drive over [HTML_REMOVED] pick them up so instead I ordered a pair of the Vittoria CX at Chain Reaction, I hope they don't suck to deal with

[HTML_REMOVED]40% off and free shipping to canada

That's no excuse, just ride it dude…..good tire choice I may go that route also I have never bought from them either.

July 9, 2014, 3:59 p.m.

I bought fenders from Chain Reaction a few months ago. They arrived in a week, no hassles with taxes/duties/brokerage.

July 9, 2014, 7:17 p.m.

My commuting tires are Maxxis Re-Fuse, $45 at MEC. I run them at 130 PSI, (they come as a X23 or X25). Lots of gravel, never a flat (they have a kevlar belt, silkworm anti-flat lining, plus yadayadayada thisthaththeother). They are a slick with a slight thread which is good for offroad climb traction. I always ride at or near max pressure. If road conditions are so bad, I would need to run them at lower pressure, that's my cue that the road is not safe for a road ride (I have canti rim brakes) and I take the MTB hardtail instead.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5028-261/maxxis-re-fuse-700-folding-tire/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008[HTML_REMOVED]h=10[HTML_REMOVED]q=tires%2Bmaxxis

I use the same tires, have for years. It's the only durable tire the lbs regularly stocks around here. All the other quality options are weight-weenie racing tires. I love them. Very very tough tires.

I get less than one flat a year putting in about 200kms a week. They're always pinch flats too from being lazy and not topping up and hitting unexpected jagged potholes. I replace them every 6-9 months or so.

www.natooke.com