2013 Tour De France

July 22, 2013, 1:17 p.m.

http://www.bicycling.com/video/lanterne-rouge-svein-tuft-finishing-tour#

That's so awesome. I remember racing when Symmetrics was still around, and talking to Svein at some of the races. He's such a chill guy, and to see him get to, and finish, the Tour is great.

Ride, don't slide.

July 22, 2013, 1:32 p.m.

Good thing that never happens on the trails around here…

And it's still just as stupid here as there.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 23, 2013, 11:40 a.m.

I just watched the final stage last night. The short segment they did on Tuft was cool. I'd say that, all things considered, he had a pretty awesome outing as a Tour rookie.

Traditionally, I think the lanterne rouge gets invited to a bunch of fall crits as a minor celebrity. Not sure that will mesh with Tuft's style though.

Too bad that Cavendish didn't get number five on the Champs. He's definitely missing the perfect lead outs of past years. On the other hand, it's nice to see some new names mixing it up with him.

July 25, 2013, 12:35 a.m.

Too bad that Cavendish didn't get number five on the Champs. He's definitely missing the perfect lead outs of past years. On the other hand, it's nice to see some new names mixing it up with him.

My reading of the press is that hauling ass back to the peloton after flatting sapped his ability to launch.

Bummer….but, that's the Tour, eh?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 25, 2013, 7:10 a.m.

My reading of the press is that hauling ass back to the peloton after flatting sapped his ability to launch.

Bummer….but, that's the Tour, eh?

He'd lost several head-to-head sprints already during this Tour - something virtually unheard of over the last 3 years or so. So flat or no flat, he's definitely been missing something this last 3 weeks …

July 25, 2013, 7:51 a.m.

Is he missing something, or is are the new guys just getting better? Greipel certainly made Cav work for it last year, and this year Kittel has shown that he can run with the big boys of the sprint.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 25, 2013, 9:30 a.m.

Is he missing something, or is are the new guys just getting better? Greipel certainly made Cav work for it last year, and this year Kittel has shown that he can run with the big boys of the sprint.

Kn.

Well Cav did win the sprinters jersey at the Giro this year. I am sure that was a tiring thing to do. Those top guys are so close on ability that it does not take that much to put them off their game.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 25, 2013, 9:37 a.m.

This article (notably on Sky Sports) suggests he needs to lose some weight and hit the gym.

Cav sez:

"He was just simply better", Cavendish tweeted of his stage 12 loss to German Kittel, and then was equally frank on Sunday night when admitting: "Kittel was faster. I did 1,500 watts and, usually when I do 1,500 watts, I win by a few bike lengths."

July 25, 2013, 9:37 a.m.

Well Cav did win the sprinters jersey at the Giro this year. I am sure that was a tiring thing to do. Those top guys are so close on ability that it does not take that much to put them off their game.

Yeah … he dominated the Giro, no doubt. But the TDF is the big show where all the big names come to play. I understand why he went all out in the Giro as he has dominated or come close to dominating the TDF for the last 4 years and wanted to have some fun besting the others at the Giro and racking up his impressive list of Grand Tour stage wins.

This article (notably on Sky Sports) suggests he needs to lose some weight and hit the gym.

Cav has always carried a bit of weight. One of his nicknames in the peleton is "chubby" and he has self-deprecatingly described himself in the past as "pudgy".