2008 TdF Positives (Survivor TdF Edition)

July 11, 2008, 1:41 p.m.

Manuel Beltran is the first one to get booted off the island, after testing positive for EPO.

http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/article/79845/l-equipe-reports-that-liquigas--manuel-beltran-tested

Who will be next?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 17, 2008, 8:42 a.m.

Saunier Duval is out.

Saunier Duval director Joxean Fernandez told reporters that it made no sense for the team to continue.

[HTML_REMOVED]#8220;It[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s a decision from the team; we were not forced to pull out of the Tour de France,[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; Fernandez said. [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;He is our GC leader, so logically we can not start the day and act as if nothing has happened.[HTML_REMOVED]#8221;

I'm calling BS on this. They knew others on the team were doping, otherwise the first reaction would be to fire Ricco not exit the tour as a team.

July 17, 2008, 8:49 a.m.

i bet there are a few other riders sweating bullets thinking the new form of epo was undetectable.

July 17, 2008, 9:15 a.m.

Nice call by Ninja, Ricco (Big Mouth) is the third to leave the island.

This is turning out to be a brutal year for the TdF. I wonder if we will see police raids like during the Festina scandal.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 17, 2008, 12:14 p.m.

i bet there are a few other riders sweating bullets thinking the new form of epo was undetectable.

According to some doping expert on cyclingnews.com, there isn't even a test for the new epo variant, so it sounds like it's a good thing the UCI isn't running the TdF this year, 'cause they may have had their hands tied without positive proof to charge the dopers. The same expert said they already knew riders were using this new variant at the Giro, but couldn't confirm it as a positive.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/?id=/features/2008/tour08_micera_st12

:canada: :england:

July 17, 2008, 4:04 p.m.

He sounded skeptical at first, but had a very interesting conclusion.

"I would say, though, that if the UCI's biological passports had been ready, which they should be soon, Ricc

July 18, 2008, 3:29 a.m.

Now the question is whether the AFLD will target some French riders…like Moreau.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 18, 2008, 10:55 a.m.

Interesting development. Piepoli has been preemptively fired from Saunier-Duval after the team pulled out following Ricco the Roach's doping positive. Seems that the team conducted an investigation and uncovered evidence of Pipeoli's doping.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/news/?id=/news/2008/jul08/jul18news4

Pipeoli is another rider whose performances in the mountains always seemed to be too good to be true.

July 18, 2008, 12:18 p.m.

Pipeoli is another rider whose performances in the mountains always seemed to be too good to be true.

And what causes you to come to this conclusion? He's always been known as a climber.

July 18, 2008, 12:27 p.m.

Cobo must be next. He's the one that dragged Piepoli up the climb - Giro too.

July 18, 2008, 12:59 p.m.

And what causes you to come to this conclusion? He's always been known as a climber.

Evidently, his team came to that conclusion, because they've ousted him for doping after their own internal investigation.

Oct. 6, 2008, 10:13 a.m.

Teh fun never stops!

Stephan Schumacher and Piepoli officially test positive for CERA.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/oct08/oct07news

Oct. 6, 2008, 11:34 a.m.

Teh fun never stops!

Stephan Schumacher and Piepoli officially test positive for CERA.

This is not surprising. Schumacher won the first 30 km TT by 18 seconds! He also won stage 20 by 21 seconds (to Cancellara none the less) and was 1 minute faster than everyone else. Both are huge margins and should be red-flags to any anti-doping agency. I'm surprised it took them this long. Maybe this will cause Armstrong to revisit his come back.

Oct. 6, 2008, 12:46 p.m.

Maybe this will cause Armstrong to revisit his come back.

I seriously doubt that Armstrong would come out of retirement if there were even the remotest possibility of turning up a positive.

Besides, the new CERA test was known before Armstrong announced his plans.

Oct. 6, 2008, 2:16 p.m.

Oct 7 news on Oct 6 - interesting…

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells