2 Roadies Dead near Pemberton

Oct. 29, 2015, 7:57 p.m.

What kills me is that in their original submission ICBC accused the deceased of being drunk/stoned/fatigued/ill/irresponsible or a combination of said states.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 30, 2015, 8:47 a.m.

So I'm a little removed from this by distance, but isn't it before the courts at this point? Or is it said and done that the cyclists were at fault?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Oct. 30, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

The media stories about ICBC are inaccurate.

Check out this post by a lawyer who works on personal injury claims in BC.

http://forums.clubtread.com/677330-post51.html

Oct. 30, 2015, 10:03 a.m.

thank you for posting that craig .

i stand somewhat corrected .

Oct. 30, 2015, 10:16 a.m.

All of this brings up a very important point; it is absolutely worthwhile to spend the few extra dollars and get the uninsured rider added to your icbc policy. If you drving and get hit by someone without valid insurance you are covered and if you get hit while walking or riding a bicycle then you are also covered. It's$25/yr. Not sure if the parties in question had it but it's something everyone should have imo.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 30, 2015, 10:25 a.m.

All of this brings up a very important point; it is absolutely worthwhile to spend the few extra dollars and get the uninsured rider added to your icbc policy. If you drving and get hit by someone without valid insurance you are covered and if you get hit while walking or riding a bicycle then you are also covered. It's$25/yr. Not sure if the parties in question had it but it's something everyone should have imo.

100% agree, covers you if you're in the USA too and get hit by uninsured or underinsured, if I recall correctly.

Oct. 30, 2015, 10:36 a.m.

i guess with somewhat limited information leading up to what actual caused the crash , they have to look at it from both sides and all angles

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 30, 2015, 11:35 a.m.

So I'm a little removed from this by distance, but isn't it before the courts at this point? Or is it said and done that the cyclists were at fault?

The criminal case is in early stages still (against the drunk driver).

The last few posts are about the civil case one of the deceased cyclists' spouse has brought against the scumbag driver and the idiot whose car he was driving. I don't think ICBC was named but is intervening as they insured the owner of the car.

Re: $25/year underinsured rider - gonna call my insurance co. about this today. I want to make sure my wife is covered if she is hit while riding her bike to work.

Oct. 30, 2015, 2:42 p.m.

Re: $25/year underinsured rider - gonna call my insurance co. about this today. I want to make sure my wife is covered if she is hit while riding her bike to work.

Post back here when you get an answer!

Oct. 30, 2015, 3:32 p.m.

Post back here when you get an answer!

https://www.autorenewal.ca/icbcproducts_index.html

Oct. 30, 2015, 6:40 p.m.

What kills me is that in their original submission ICBC accused the deceased of being drunk/stoned/fatigued/ill/irresponsible or a combination of said states.

"-As for the details of what ICBC is alleging (claiming that the cyclist may have been impaired, wasn't paying attention, etc.), all I can say is that it is just that - an allegation. To be able to ask questions about it as the lawsuit unfolds, it has to be raised in the pleadings, which I assume is what has been done here and why. "

Oh that explains it.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 5, 2015, 12:13 p.m.

That is interesting. I did not think a party could add themselves as a Third Party. There may be a fund available from ICBC for this for claims against uninsured parties. ICBC is unique insurance too. Everyone is an insured.

And allegations have to proven. It used to be that allegations had to be made at the outset because if you didn't, and the facts came out later at trial, too bad. In common law, the plaintiff typically must prove damages, must prove that the defendant(s) were negligent and that the negligent act is a direct cause of those damages. Sometimes that onus shifts to the defendant to prove they were not negligent such as when a driver strikes a pedestrian. that is called strict liability.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.