2 Roadies Dead near Pemberton

June 2, 2015, 9:40 a.m.

reading the comments on cycling related stories make me sad for society.

indeed. though to be fair, reading comments to almost any online story makes me sad for society.

June 2, 2015, 9:43 a.m.

indeed. though to be fair, reading comments to almost any online story makes me sad for society.

yes.

June 2, 2015, 11:12 a.m.

Even cyclists blame the cyclists half the time in these sad situations. Talk about solidarity.

June 2, 2015, 11:35 a.m.

this accident has really nothing to do with cycling. It's a drunk driver crossing into the other lane and killing innocent people. I could have been a car, a motorcycle etc… it would of been the same. Some highways are sketchy on a bicycle and scare me.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 2, 2015, noon

this accident has really nothing to do with cycling. It's a drunk driver crossing into the other lane and killing innocent people. I could have been a car, a motorcycle etc… it would of been the same. Some highways are sketchy on a bicycle and scare me.

you aren't wrong, but it's also highlighted the fact there are some big issues that need to be addressed in the corridor in regards to how many people are using our limited roads for recreation, and how the condition of them can seriously impact safety and flow of traffic. Cracked and frost heaved pavement, combined with debris strewn shoulders puts riders more into the line of fire since they're forced more towards the traffic lane. Drivers attitudes towards riders also doesn't help, distracted and impatient drivers cutting close to riders is a huge problem too. The rise of fondo's and IM training here around whistler means that more and more people are also coming to ride road bikes in the region and our maintenance and education has not kept pace.

June 2, 2015, 12:21 p.m.

http://pedalmag.com/sad-news-ross-chafe-and-kelly-blunden-killed-while-cycling-near-whistler-b-c/

June 3, 2015, 9:25 a.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/driver-in-crash-that-killed-whistler-cyclists-had-suspended-licence-for-drunk-driving-1.3097680

History of impaired driving

The driver has a history of previous convictions for impaired driving and driving when his licence was suspended.

February 2007: Arrested for impaired driving in Fort St. John and convicted later that year. Sentenced in 2008 to a one-year driving prohibition.

December 2008: Arrested for driving with a suspended licence in Lillooet. Sentenced in 2010 to 30 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.

October 2009: Arrested for impaired driving in Lillooet. Sentenced in 2010 to 60 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.

April 2011: Arrested for operating a motor vehicle while disqualified in Lillooet. Sentenced later that year to 45 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition.

March 2014: Arrested for driving with a blood alcohol level over .08, and operating a motor vehicle while disqualified. Sentenced in October 2014 to 144 days in jail and a three-year driving prohibition on the first count, and 120 days in jail on the second count.

June 3, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

and now they want to charge him with " impaired driving causing death " or something like that .

after five convictions , shouldn't this be " vehicular homicide " . not trying to beat up on the guy , but surely this outcome could have been predicted .

like after two convictions , how about a lifetime driving ban ?

of course unless there is some way to enforce it , what deterrent are the penalties ?

June 3, 2015, 9:59 a.m.

being banned from driving certainly didn't stop him from driving.

June 3, 2015, 10:27 a.m.

Life in prison is the only solution for an ass hole like that. To bad the courts will say it's not his fault, he's not criminally responsible, he has a problem…

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 3, 2015, 10:37 a.m.

That sucks. Clearly the guy has a problem-which could clearly have been identified in advance-ok, fine we need to get him help any way we can, but we need to keep the public safe in the meantime as a priority! This was predictable, and was only a matter of time.

This could have been prevented.

June 3, 2015, 11:08 a.m.

Dude with that many convictions and history with the law was a ticking time bomb. THere was only one way this was going to end, he was going to kill himself or others. UNfortunately he is responsible for the deaths of 3 people.

To me this points out the lunacy of our 0.05% law in BC. I will no longer have a beer with dinner when out, but, some habitual drunk driver is not in jail. Consequences to me of being caught above 0.05% are massive, and expensive. This fellow put the consequences on others.

Our DD laws should be focusing on the habitual drunk drivers, the ones that actually do the killing. A buddy of mine received a suspension after having a beer at a backyard bbq. Not 'a drinker', not one to tie one on, just liked to have a beer with his burger. Suspension and I imagine other costs associated with it.

June 3, 2015, 12:07 p.m.

^ I agree - unfortunately the habitual offenders don't seem to be affected by any punishment. Longer driving prohib - drive without a license. More jail time - still drive home from jail. There simply is no reasoning with some idiots.

June 3, 2015, 1:57 p.m.

Dude with that many convictions and history with the law was a ticking time bomb. THere was only one way this was going to end, he was going to kill himself or others. UNfortunately he is responsible for the deaths of 3 people.

To me this points out the lunacy of our 0.05% law in BC. I will no longer have a beer with dinner when out, but, some habitual drunk driver is not in jail. Consequences to me of being caught above 0.05% are massive, and expensive. This fellow put the consequences on others.

Our DD laws should be focusing on the habitual drunk drivers, the ones that actually do the killing. A buddy of mine received a suspension after having a beer at a backyard bbq. Not 'a drinker', not one to tie one on, just liked to have a beer with his burger. Suspension and I imagine other costs associated with it.

I'm for zero tolerance, personally. People think I'm nuts and get all mad when I say that. But you REALLY MUST DRIVE, MUST YOU REALLY DRINK? Can't you just deal with doing one or the other but not both? How hard is that? I don't really care that some drunk ruined it for everyone else. I'm comfortable knowing that if something did happen while I was driving, it wasn't because I my judgement or reaction was impaired. I'm no holier-than-thou type either, I belong to that class of those who "put down the drink - couldn't drink like a gentleman".

June 3, 2015, 2:34 p.m.

I'd guess that this guy probably never drove UNLESS he was drunk . clearly a career alcoholic .

not a fan of the zero tolerance thing Duncan . . . I can go out for dinner and have a beer with my meal . I'm not impaired nor a hazard to anyone , but it does put the onus on the individual to restrain themselves or have the sense to say " ok , I've had two , I'm finding another way home ( or staying over :lol: ) ".