Womens Racing?

Aug. 9, 2006, 5:22 p.m.

When I first started racing (and riding), most of the other people that I rode with also raced and it was a pretty social thing. Now, most of my riding buddies don't race.

Now, I do a couple of races a year (XC usually). I buy a coaching license, so the race license isn't too much more on top of that.

For me, I guess there's a few things that keep me from racing more. I got to a point where to continue to do well in races, I would need to train more…and I'm simply not that motivated (to do the training or to make time for the training). I like being fit, but being competitive at expert/pro is a whole different level.

Races themselves also take up a fair bit of time. Drive to wherever, pre-ride, race…drive home, and the weekend is gone. And, with coaching thrown in a bunch of weekends over the summers for the past 5 years, I prefer to spend the weekends that I'm not coaching, just riding for fun - whether its a long XC epic, challenging my skills on the shore, or a road trip exploring the rest of the great riding locales BC has to offer.

The money is also part of it, though less so than it used to be when I was still going to school. I can afford it now, its just there are other things I'd prefer to spend money on. The racing I've been doing (24 hr solo) comes with a steep entry fee, and if I keep it up, travel expenses too - not to mention convincing my husband to be my support crew!

So, some food for thought…

What about the toonie race series that NSMBA puts on? It's XC oriented, but how many women show up for those? Here one can't argue cost…need club fee for insurance, plus the toonie, and off you go. Time committment is small too (evening after work).

What would the logistics be of putting on a DH version? (Insurance I assume might be problematic..maybe?) And the key question, would women enter?

pd

Aug. 9, 2006, 10:48 p.m.

Are you looking at XC or DH?

DH

Thanks for all the great advice!

http://www.muddbunnies.com/category/news/competition/race-team-blog/lisa/

Aug. 10, 2006, 8:38 a.m.

DH

Thanks for all the great advice!

Pick up a copy of Brian Lopes book Mastering Mountain Bike Skills. Also take a look at the vidoe's put out by the West Coast School of Mountain Biking.

Other than that try to hook up with others to ride with. So that way you can learn from them.

The only other thing to do is repetitive practise of skills. Same as what ski racers do, pick a skill in your riding to practise. It can get pretty boring but it pays off in the long run.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 10, 2006, 1:19 p.m.

some free-ride vids feature "DH Race" style riding, and most of the big ones are all slo-mo so its easy to see how the body moves as Stacy is saying.

wink wink.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Aug. 10, 2006, 1:28 p.m.

One other tip (for DH) that might not be so easy to pick out from a video…learning what line to take on a race course.

I took a learn to race DH clinic that was put on by Cycling BC way back when..one of the most useful parts I found was walking through the course with the instructor and also watching other riders take various lines thorugh different sections of the course, then working on those sections ourselves. Stacy's suggestion of the video camera would work well here (if you've got access to one).

(Doesn't seem that Cycling BC does these any more - perhaps check out Shaums' clinics?)

Aug. 10, 2006, 1:59 p.m.

When I first started racing (and riding), most of the other people that I rode with also raced and it was a pretty social thing. Now, most of my riding buddies don't race.

Now, I do a couple of races a year (XC usually). I buy a coaching license, so the race license isn't too much more on top of that.

For me, I guess there's a few things that keep me from racing more. I got to a point where to continue to do well in races, I would need to train more…and I'm simply not that motivated (to do the training or to make time for the training). I like being fit, but being competitive at expert/pro is a whole different level.

Races themselves also take up a fair bit of time. Drive to wherever, pre-ride, race…drive home, and the weekend is gone. And, with coaching thrown in a bunch of weekends over the summers for the past 5 years, I prefer to spend the weekends that I'm not coaching, just riding for fun - whether its a long XC epic, challenging my skills on the shore, or a road trip exploring the rest of the great riding locales BC has to offer.

The money is also part of it, though less so than it used to be when I was still going to school. I can afford it now, its just there are other things I'd prefer to spend money on. The racing I've been doing (24 hr solo) comes with a steep entry fee, and if I keep it up, travel expenses too - not to mention convincing my husband to be my support crew!

So, some food for thought…

What about the toonie race series that NSMBA puts on? It's XC oriented, but how many women show up for those? Here one can't argue cost…need club fee for insurance, plus the toonie, and off you go. Time committment is small too (evening after work).

What would the logistics be of putting on a DH version? (Insurance I assume might be problematic..maybe?) And the key question, would women enter?

pd

I think it would be doable to have a Toonie DH. I think it would have to be on Fromme down Old Mtn Highway. Say 7th to the water tower.

It would be an easy course for some but would allow newcomers to DH easier course to start on.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Aug. 10, 2006, 2 p.m.

One other tip (for DH) that might not be so easy to pick out from a video…learning what line to take on a race course.

I took a learn to race DH clinic that was put on by Cycling BC way back when..one of the most useful parts I found was walking through the course with the instructor and also watching other riders take various lines thorugh different sections of the course, then working on those sections ourselves. Stacy's suggestion of the video camera would work well here (if you've got access to one).

(Doesn't seem that Cycling BC does these any more - perhaps check out Shaums' clinics?)

Man, you guy's are giving me alot to think about for next year when I move back.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk