Winter time fun?

Jan. 2, 2009, 10:42 a.m.

Well this year seems especially harsh for riding. What are you girls up to this season to stay in shape and not get cabin fever.

http://www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops

Jan. 2, 2009, 11:15 a.m.

i'm doing ski patrol on grouse and trying to get up and ski/ride as much as possible. conditions are off the hook and it's wicked fun. my bike will still be there when the snow melts off the trails, but right now i'm having an absolute blast working on my snow skills and hanging out with a really great bunch of people.

Jan. 2, 2009, 5:13 p.m.

I was snow riding until the freezing level rose too much but I'm on the lookout for improved riding conditions. In the meantime we've been hiking in the snow and sledding down the hills. Once the holiday crowds disappear, we'll be off skiing.

Jan. 4, 2009, 12:56 a.m.

I'm waiting for the ice to melt so I can go riding again! Would like to actually learn to board this year (if time and money allow!) and do some more hiking.

Jan. 5, 2009, 12:26 p.m.

We picked up snowshoeing in 2007 and are looking forward to passing the time in the snow that way until we can ride our bikes again.

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

Jan. 5, 2009, 8:01 p.m.

Skiing!! My dad put me on skis as soon as I could walk, so I don't mind the snow at all! Now, if only we could get a little more on the hills and a little less in the city…

I was also thinking of taking up cross-country skiing this year too, but can't decide b/w classic and skate. Any thoughts or experiences?

I just got to Yellowknife for 2 weeks of work, so there will definitely be some opportunity for snow sports! Some snow-shoeing, fumbling on xc skis.. and some sauna-ing!

Jan. 5, 2009, 9:34 p.m.

I was also thinking of taking up cross-country skiing this year too, but can't decide b/w classic and skate. Any thoughts or experiences?

Hope you're having fun in Yellowknife! Go skate! You'll get bored of classic pretty quick I think. We went up to Callaghan valley on Saturday which was super fun, and hope to hit Cypress a few times too. I took Dave a few years ago and it wasn't a very good experience for him (something about me taking off on him…) but he had a lot more fun this time and we plan to buy him some gear from Different Bikes.

We've been out snowshoeing a bit, I snowshoed to work today (SFU) - it was like walking through wet cement. We did a bit of snow riding too - though the last time we were out on Burnaby mountain (just after Christmas), I turned around came home and swapped the bike for snowshoes - Dave persevered on the bike, but I caught up and was easily matching his speed on the descent too :)

Jan. 6, 2009, 10:01 a.m.

Ive been eating and lifting a 26er of rum to my coffee cup for a the past few weeks so I figure Im about ready to go outside. I havent done much but hope to get out snowshoeing and boarding. Im so glad its raining though, I'm a wet coast girl and I miss my bike so much.
I actually miss sidewalks too.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Jan. 6, 2009, 12:15 p.m.

We picked up snowshoeing in 2007 and are looking forward to passing the time in the snow that way until we can ride our bikes again.

I have a couple pairs of snowshoes that I've only been able to use a couple of times, if I can get over to the mainland some weekend for a quick visit I'd love to have someone to go with!

Jan. 6, 2009, 2:57 p.m.

I am outta shape and I have cabin fever
So I am apparently doing nothin

Jan. 6, 2009, 4:10 p.m.

I am outta shape and I have cabin fever
So I am apparently doing nothin

Aren't you going to be riding in Costa Rica soon? (jealous.jealous.)

Jan. 6, 2009, 4:19 p.m.

Skiing, snowshoeing, hiking and training for the sunrun.

So far the training has only involved beer fridge runs, but soon it will be outdoors. Our beer fridge 3 floors down from our tv room. I swear every time I go down for a beer I arrived back upstairs, out of breath from just completing a 20 minute stairmaster workout.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Jan. 6, 2009, 4:23 p.m.

speaking of which…

it's empty again

Jan. 7, 2009, 9:18 a.m.

speaking of which…

it's empty again

Good advice, always maintain you training equipment.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Jan. 7, 2009, 10:27 a.m.

For me, riding was something I took-up when ski season was over. Have to say that I've grown to love riding so when the two season's overlap, sometimes I am torn in what to do, unless there is powder to be had.

So, skiing, ski touring, and the gym (cardio and strength).
I'm busy so the gym is great for me because I can make my workouts as long or as short as I want.

I have no filter …