Welcome!

Jan. 4, 2013, 6:09 p.m.

So, in the realm of the English language a 'girl' might be a female between 3 and 13 years old? An adolescent perhaps between 13 and 17 years old? Can we drop the term 'girl' for adult women? Do we call a 25 year old man a 'boy'? And just in case anyone reading thinks 'What a crazy feminist!' Sure, I'm a feminist: I believe in equal pay for equal work, equal opportunity rights in employment and within the laws of Canada, seems a very reasonable stand.

Fortunately, I am in a profession that is mostly fair towards women (medicine). Just don't call me a girl.

i'm over 40, consider myself a bit of a feminist, and have absolutely no issue with being referred to as a 'girl'. big deal.

Jan. 4, 2013, 7:53 p.m.

I work in a male dominated industry and thankfully, in today's world, have the opportunity to do so. Plus one for "feminism", I guess.

As for being referred to as a girl, not a big deal. Pick your battles.

Jan. 4, 2013, 8:28 p.m.

For F*ED's sake. I don't wear makeup and dress pretty casually. I can't tell you how many times i've been called 'sir'

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Jan. 4, 2013, 10:06 p.m.

You miss the point: it is not a thin skin issue, it is a semantics issue that does no favours for adult women to refer to us as 'girls'. Do you think Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State for the United States, or Christine Lagarde, the IMF CEO, or Louise Arbour, former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights want to be referred to as 'girls'? Certainly very high achieving women, deserving of not being referred to as 'girls', but don't perpetuate usage of the term among the rest of us, especially on a women's specific thread.

Jan. 4, 2013, 10:12 p.m.

For F*ED's sake. I don't wear makeup and dress pretty casually. I can't tell you how many times i've been called 'sir'

I can assure you that you are not a "sir".

You miss the point: it is not a thin skin issue, it is a semantics issue that does no favours for adult women to refer to us as 'girls'. Do you think Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State for the United States, or Christine Lagarde, the IMF CEO, or Louise Arbour, former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights want to be referred to as 'girls'? Certainly very high achieving women, deserving of not being referred to as 'girls', but don't perpetuate usage of the term among the rest of us, especially on a women's specific thread.

If Hillary,Christine or Louise take up mountain biking, they will then be considered "one of the girls" by all of the other women involved in this sport.

You might be well served to take yourself just a little less seriously.

Signed,

One of the boys.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 4, 2013, 10:20 p.m.

:deadhorse::stupid::zzz::damn::trinity::ohthedrama::swearing::dizzy::???::cry::scream:

Jan. 4, 2013, 10:37 p.m.

someone's trolling.

Jan. 4, 2013, 10:53 p.m.

:shhh:

Jan. 5, 2013, 12:06 p.m.

I am a boy (30 years of age) and my GIRLfriend always refers to her friends as "The Girls".
There is no disrespect or hidden condemnation in this, it is just keeping things casual and fun.
To rename the form "Women[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s Only Forum" would make prospecting posters think it was
a forum for much heavier topics. I know Mountain Biking Is Serious Business and all but come
on they are just pedal bikes for fuck sake! We are all just boys and girls who like to ride our bikes.
Could you imagine if my GIRLfriend referred to her friends as "The Women".

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 5, 2013, 12:16 p.m.

um, the forum's called "Ladies Only", like the trail…

Jan. 5, 2013, 12:44 p.m.

It's funny…it only seems to happen Canada to my wife. When she goes to the states it's ma'am.

someone's trolling.

I figure it is a recent graduate of a Women's Studies program.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 19, 2013, 9:17 a.m.

i think you're reading way too much into labels

Jan. 19, 2013, 10:49 a.m.

Haha! Bitches be crazy!

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Jan. 19, 2013, 2:15 p.m.

GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN!

Jan. 19, 2013, 9:22 p.m.

Actually that sounds like you - Super Slut (oh I meant stripper, same deal tho').

The point that Noendos was making is one I also agree with.

I have earned the right to be referred to as a lady. Not a child, who needs a man to take care of me - the term is condescending at best. If you want to call the women in your life 'girl' like your mother, great. But do realize that some of us do not want to be referred to as 'girls' because we are not.
And if you men want to be called 'boys' that says a lot right there - are your women at home taking care of life so that you can act like boys? Not men?
Me, I don't want to be around adult males that are boys, I enjoy the company of men. Responsible, adult men because I am a responsible adult female.

Bitter, this one is.