Upper Body Armour

May 12, 2006, 6:44 p.m.

Don't know why I came in here, but interesting topic. I think I may also have a partial answer as to why there's no real women specific armor out there.

Assides from the fact that women all have them and they're all in the same general location - front of the body between the shoulder and the navel - there is no other consistancy.

From my personal experiences with them - heavily supplemented by wayyyy too much exposure via the internet :lol: the simple problem is that womens' boobs (can I say that?) are all different. Never mind cup size, some sit high, other low, some close together others far apart etc etc

I'm sure if you found two women the same height/weight/cup size, their boobs would sit differently. I don't think there's any blame here, it's just a fact that bodies are all different. Most of the armor out there already doesn't fit flat chested men properly, so the companies have a long way to go before they get womens armor right.

The only way I could see to make women specific armor - other than Corey's "hands on" method ;) - would be either soft armor on the front, real pliable stuff like back catchers use (or did last time I played so many years ago). Or if you wanted hard shell it'd have to be articulating similar to a spine protector, and there'd have to be adjustments via straps or whatever down each side of it to allow the wearer to loosen and tighten the armor in the areas they need it. Unfortunately I expect this kind of design would be damned expensive.

Just my 2 cents.

May 12, 2006, 7:07 p.m.

Breast reduction=problem solved.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

May 12, 2006, 7:11 p.m.

get women's specific hockey shoulder/chest pads. they come in a variety of sizes are are likely better protection anyways.

May 12, 2006, 7:43 p.m.

^^just joking with the earlier comment.

Try a motorcycle shop. Some can get women specific upper armour. It's pricey, though. And they don't usually carry it in stock. Good luck.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

May 12, 2006, 10:02 p.m.

i know this is a little off topic but someone went there. the thing about girls riding clothes, i totally agree that someone needs to make something. i bought these awesome sombrio shorts and then waited to get the jersey in. the shorts are medium and even a little to big, the large jersey barely fits over my armour (they make no XL) and i will probably only wear it when only wearing my arm pads, no dianese! so how am i supposed to be a fully armored chick and still look damn fine!

sombrio makes some great looking womens jerseys, unfortunately, they're not something i'd wear on the trail. i pretty much only buy the guys jerseys (of any brand) to wear riding as the venting and sizing is a lot roomier. as for looking damn fine..LOL..we're bikers. looking good is for the after parties :D

as for armor, when i wear it all i use is the motox plastic chest protector (in addition to the usual armpads) and i have no complaints.

May 15, 2006, 10:44 p.m.

Thanks for the input girls and guys. I just ordered a Six six one SP2 Pressure Suit off the net, size small and only a hundred bucks!

The price was right that's for sure, I'll let you know how she makes out with it.

May 15, 2006, 11:16 p.m.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/product_reviews/article/0,13190,1193795,00.html

I don't think moto protectors are the answer, but its a step in the right direction.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

May 16, 2006, 10 a.m.

Also jumping in here…

My GF is petite but curvy, and found that the Beastgear - with some modifications - fit best.

Her problem was that even this armour rode up, and choked her. The solution was to sew some velcro onto the jacket and then onto the back side of the kidney belt. That held the jacket down.

She's quite happy with it now. BTW, she found the Dainese with the hard chest protector wasn't comfortable.

I totally have the problem of choking on my chest plate - I have tried every brand of armour - right now I have a ridge jacket - in Xtra small and it seems to work OK (mostly because it is way too small and that keeps it from moving too much) - but it is far from ideal - I rarely wear it when I am not racing -it just keeps riding up - breasts and chest plates just don't work together very well ….

where exactly would you sew on the velcro? I can't picture it? but if it works I totally need to try it….

2004 Banshee scratch for sale 999 obo - great condition - choice of Z3 or rigid funn fork - single speed - 3 piece cranks - hardly used…. pm me for more details

May 16, 2006, 10:29 p.m.

Ah, Time to add my two cents!
I was thinking about this thread as I armoured up on Sunday. I wear a small Dainese safety jacket. Soft chest. (the hard one was terrible !) but as a D cup girl, I do believe it's all about the sports bra underneath!! ie. flatten/squish the girls and the jacket fits much better, rides up less! But, jeez, there has GOT to be a better way than a side zipper to close that thing! Makes for a bit of a struggle! (not to mention a minor show at the drop in!)
Just my thoughts. Anyone?

May 17, 2006, 8:06 a.m.

I always wear a good sports bra when I ride, especially when wearing armour, and yet the Dainese (and other brands) still ride up :(

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

you can always make more money but you can never make more time.

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

May 17, 2006, 9:02 a.m.

i have the same problem with my upper body armour, it rides up. i find the velcro waist belt doesn't help much either. a possible solution that has crossed my mind is to use suspenders from between the armour and my shorts.

please note, this was a serious post

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 17, 2006, 9:10 a.m.

i have the same problem with my upper body armour, it rides up. i find the velcro waist belt doesn't help much either. a possible solution that has crossed my mind is to use suspenders from between the armour and my shorts.

Syncro, I think you have found a new career. Women's armour fitter and modifier.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 17, 2006, 9:37 a.m.

Do you have man boobs? Have you tried a good sports bra? :D

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com

I think it's called work for a reason. Or else they probably would have called it fun-time at the fun factory.

May 17, 2006, 9:46 a.m.

I'll post pix of my GF's modified jacket in the next couple of days. Sorry, can't remember how we did it - but she said it was night and day. Completely solved the problem.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

May 17, 2006, 9:54 a.m.

That would be great if you could, Stuart. I couldn't really picture what you meant and when I described it to my husband, he interpreted it as something similar to what Synchro mentioned - as in velcroing the armour to the top of the shorts.

www.muddbunnies.com
www.nsmba.ca
www.bteamlovesyou.com