Upper Body Armour

May 9, 2006, 5:16 p.m.

I got a dianese suit. i tried on the one with the hard front and it rides up and just didn't fit in the chest area so i had to go for the soft front. it fits pretty well and doesn't ride at all. I had to get a small though and I am 5'8", so if you were a smaller girl you might have to look into the kids ones. It doesn't squish uncomfortably (because of the lack of hard front) but does make me pretty flat.
Some of the other girls i ride with have the mace suit and they seem to like it.

May 9, 2006, 10:01 p.m.

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I'm off in search of a Dainese I guess, but we'll search others too. The Mace sounds intriguing.

She is short, maybe 5'5, 120lbs so we might be looking at kids sizes.

May 11, 2006, 12:47 p.m.

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I'm off in search of a Dainese I guess, but we'll search others too. The Mace sounds intriguing.

She is short, maybe 5'5, 120lbs so we might be looking at kids sizes.

i'm 5'6" and same weight and the soft front "grown up" size fits fine. :) and definitely not as squishy as the turtle type ones. it does ride up a bit but it's not a big deal… mind you i took off the spine protector which made a big difference.

ride a horse! 1200 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs…
but riding bikes is still fun!

May 11, 2006, 3:07 p.m.

Have any of the ladies tried heating up the plastic protection on the front of the Dainese to buy yourself a little more room? I bet a heat gun to warm the plastic up until it is maliable, followed by a blast of cold water would work well in getting a more personal fit.

i can just see it…

now being offered by [email protected], free "fitting sessions" for women's upper body armour

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 11, 2006, 3:37 p.m.

i can just see it…

now being offered by [email protected], free "fitting sessions" for women's upper body armour

women feel safe around gay men.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

May 11, 2006, 4:51 p.m.

women feel safe around gay men.

:lol: is that what they tell you? :beer:

I bet they feel just as safe around married men. :)

Synchro could be on to something here with the "fitting" service!

All kidding aside, it has got to be only a matter of time until someone steps up and recognizes the female riding contingent and starts making them nice gear too. So many of the "womens" bike clothing is so lame that a lot of women end up buying smaller sized mens gear, which doesn't fit quite as well as it could. The womens clothes are more often than not lame patterns, lame colors and lame sizing. Drives my wife nuts, she has a hard time finding nice gear that fits right.

Then there is the whole armour issue. Upper stuff doesn't fit great and leg pads could use improvement.

Someone who has the resources and means (ie: an existing manufacturer) should think outside of the box (pun intended) and come up with some fresh gear for the ladies who like to ride but don't want to look like someone fresh out of a 1995 MEC catalogue.

May 11, 2006, 4:53 p.m.

nice comeback corey!

score:

corey - 1
white ri0t - 0

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 11, 2006, 4:59 p.m.

nice comeback corey!

score:

corey - 1
white ri0t - 0

ahh, but I am still in the whole. Digs has burned me more than I can easily recover from. :lol:

May 11, 2006, 5:01 p.m.

ahh, but I am still in the whole. Digs has burned me more than I can easily recover from. :lol:

yeah, that bastard eh.

i take it easy on you because i don't like picking on the weak.

Ellen Langer

May 11, 2006, 5:02 p.m.

yeah, that bastard eh.

speaking of armour..I think I could use some in this thread! I'm taking a beating.

Look what we are doing to the ladies forum!

May 11, 2006, 5:05 p.m.

:lol:

OK , couldn't resist.

I try to hold back in my responses and not argue. When you argue with idiots they will drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

:lol:

"synchrowned"

May 11, 2006, 5:10 p.m.

I try to hold back in my responses and not argue. When you argue with idiots they will drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

exactly, that's why i never argue with cam or women

reaches for flame retardent/proctective suit

Ellen Langer

May 11, 2006, 5:28 p.m.

in all the posts on these sites… why hasn't the industry come up with sizing for women and kids. Trying to fit armour to my gf and her kids is an exercise in futility. Finally found the mec armour to come small enough for her son, and fox arms/ dianese legs which don't cover the backs of her legs from pedal studs… to work for her - but we're out of luck for much else…

Race Face? Mace? anyone?!

just my two cents.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 11, 2006, 10:56 p.m.

in all the posts on these sites… why hasn't the industry come up with sizing for women and kids. Trying to fit armour to my gf and her kids is an exercise in futility. Finally found the mec armour to come small enough for her son, and fox arms/ dianese legs which don't cover the backs of her legs from pedal studs… to work for her - but we're out of luck for much else…

Race Face? Mace? anyone?!

just my two cents.

There is a new brand called SIXTY that some shops carry that finally makes proper mtb armour for kids. (sorry, i dont about women) They are one of those co's like axiom that caters to hardcore mountain bike parts on more of an affordable budget then raceface etc. I am using one of their seatposts right now.

Definitly worth checking out.

May 12, 2006, 5:47 p.m.

i know this is a little off topic but someone went there. the thing about girls riding clothes, i totally agree that someone needs to make something. i bought these awesome sombrio shorts and then waited to get the jersey in. the shorts are medium and even a little to big, the large jersey barely fits over my armour (they make no XL) and i will probably only wear it when only wearing my arm pads, no dianese! so how am i supposed to be a fully armored chick and still look damn fine!