Suggestions Part II

Dec. 8, 2006, 9:02 a.m.

OK Lydia and I have discussed her first bike purchase and she agrees that riding a hard tail to start will help her progress her skills and as she progresses we can look at suspension. OK now I want her downhill experience to be fun so I'm looking at freeride or street/dj bikes. What is a better match for general freeriding ladies…fr bike or st/dj bike? I would think the smaller frame st/dj bike would make a stellar little fr/trail bike but maybe the geometry is wrong? What do you think?

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

Dec. 8, 2006, 9:11 a.m.

I have a Kona Roast from 2001 and to this date it is my favorite bike. If I was looking at a fun bike for a beginner I would look at something along those lines. Not a super street machine just an all around fun dirtjumper.

http://www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops

Dec. 8, 2006, 9:27 a.m.

I have a Kona Roast from 2001 and to this date it is my favorite bike. If I was looking at a fun bike for a beginner I would look at something along those lines. Not a super street machine just an all around fun dirtjumper.

Agreed a super street machine is not the best choice. Something with good upright and back position for descending. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Dec. 8, 2006, 9:33 a.m.

At this point it is time to start visiting the bike shops. You have to have her try different bikes and see how she feels and fits on the bikes. There really is no other way. Remember there are so many things that can effect how your girlfriend will fit on the bike. And the only way to get answers is to go and actually look at bikes.

Remember that every persons body and fit needs are different. That is why there are so many variations to bike sizes.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 8, 2006, 9:35 a.m.

Good point. I think I love my Roast cuz it fits so well and I feel so comfortable on it.

Dec. 8, 2006, 9:40 a.m.

Very good point. I guess we'll have to get her on different models from different lines from different companies. :)

Yeah we're gonna start pricing this weekend. Should be fun…I want to feel out the local shops for service cuz I'm still new to the area.

Dec. 8, 2006, 4:29 p.m.

my kona cowan is an OK downhill bike, but the seattube is too short to get the seat high enough for any real pedalling. I end up walking it up Fromme most of the time because the pedalling efficiency sucks

smaller isn't necessarily better. I'd go with a free-ride frame (Brodie Holeshot, Cove Stiffee or similar) over a DJ frame.

Dec. 8, 2006, 4:30 p.m.

also, the steeper head angle of a DJ bike will be frightening for a first time downhiller

Dec. 8, 2006, 6:03 p.m.

i ride a rocky flow (among other bikes) from a few years back, and love it. but yes, she'll need to ride a few to figure out the best fit for her.

one thing i needed to switch out was the fork - way too stiff for me and marzocchi didn't make soft springs for it - that's another disadvantage of a DJ bike for lighter women. i run a fox 36 talas instead now.

cheers,
pd

Dec. 8, 2006, 6:21 p.m.

I don't know how much of a rush you are in to buy a bike, and I dont know if it happens every year or not, but last year around the beginning of March there were some bike demo days. On Top and BSP (on the same day) had a bunch of new bikes you could borrow and they gave you a free shuttle up seymour for you to try them out. If you guys can wait that long, I think that would be the best way to get a proper feel for the bike she wants.

Eric

Dec. 8, 2006, 6:27 p.m.

i'm not sure how much the bike really matters. i learned on a 20yr old brodie with about 1" elastimer fork, v-brakes on the front, and no back brakes. it was still super fun. i think a lot of people put too much stock in what they ride. i think it takes a special (demented) kind of person to love mtn biking. either you do or don't and i'm sure she'll be good on whatever you get. :)

ride a horse! 1200 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs…
but riding bikes is still fun!

Dec. 9, 2006, 5:54 p.m.

i'm not sure how much the bike really matters.

I learned on a rigid Giant pre v-brakes and it was still fun! Best 400 bucks I spent :D So on the one hand, I agree that the bike doesn't really matter but on the other hand it will be better for later. So if she's going to stick with riding it's probably best to shop around and get her a bike that she feels comfy on and and has some good brakes. As a beginner she won't necessarily notice but when she starts bombin' down Ned's she's going to be much happier. And maybe be at that point sooner??

Dec. 10, 2006, 8:30 a.m.

Thanks guys. We're looking at FR hard tails. So far we're considering the Rocky Flow, Norco Sasquatch, Giant STP or the Devinci Hucker…we'll probably go with the Hucker.

Dec. 10, 2006, 8:36 a.m.

The new Giant STP 1 is pretty sweet to ride. How tall is she?

Dec. 10, 2006, 8:39 a.m.

The new Giant STP 1 is pretty sweet to ride. How tall is she?

5'6"