Suckered into the Sun Run?

Feb. 9, 2009, 1:04 p.m.

I am. I had the idea that training at lunch might get me a longer lunch considering I'll be working up to 5k plus on my lunch hour, throw in a shower and I should get 15mins extra three times a week.
Well, the whole shitteroo idea backfired one particularly stressful day when I decided to "push the envelope" and do the 5k around the block route. I was in an advanced state of "frk, my coworkers are old and uselesss" and managed to do the whole thing in 40mins not included the after shower. I even felt good!
Anybody else out there in training?

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Feb. 9, 2009, 9:47 p.m.

Yup, Mary

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Feb. 9, 2009, 10:10 p.m.

Suckered? Either there is money on the line or you volunteered.

Sadly the wife wanted to do the Sun Run but it's not in May so need to find her a another event. Hmm, maybe the Army Run.

By the way if you want to read a good book on running pick up a copy of Toby Tanser's book Run with More Fire.

And if you want some run motivation check out this OLN show on Saturday,

http://www.oln.ca/bigscreen.php

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 10, 2009, 6:54 a.m.

My office enters a team every year, and because I "used to be a runner", I'm expected to play along.
Funny thing, riding fitness and running fitness are not exactly the same. I usually get in 2 or 3 runs in the month before the race, go out and enjoy the day, and then spend the next week in bed.

Team Crafty

Feb. 10, 2009, 8:26 a.m.

Some Muddbunny convinced me to join her team… ;)

I'll be walking in the Sun Run with the baby strapped to my back (or in the stroller, but considering how much she hates the stroller I'd likely just have to put her in the sling anyway, and then I'd be pushing an empty stroller.) My training so far mostly consists of 4km walks with her in the sling, down Lonsdale and then back up. I think I need to do a little more though - I'm only doing that distance once or twice a week right now.

Feb. 11, 2009, 7:05 a.m.

If you train 3x a week you'll see improvement, not that its that easy being a new mom. I can easily get out at work at lunch but trying to fit it in after work or on weekends would be tough. On saturdays I get up at 5am to train with one of my yoga buddies because its the only time we can get together. She has two kids and can take any other time as well.
I am determined though, I will do my training. ( its a great way to train for bike season too! )

Feb. 12, 2009, 6:03 p.m.

If you train 3x a week you'll see improvement, not that its that easy being a new mom. I can easily get out at work at lunch but trying to fit it in after work or on weekends would be tough. On saturdays I get up at 5am to train with one of my yoga buddies because its the only time we can get together. She has two kids and can take any other time as well.
I am determined though, I will do my training. ( its a great way to train for bike season too! )

Best tip I can give, follow what the Kenyan's do. Don't worry about the distance just run for a specified time.

Got this from Dean Karnazes book, every little bit helps. If say on Tuesday you want to get a 30 minute run in but can't . Though you can put in 10 minutes here and there. Go for it with those little runs. Make them good hard intense runs as they will benefit. Remember every little bit adds to the overall training load.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Feb. 13, 2009, 7:13 a.m.

Thats a good tip Enduramil, its alot easier top sneak out here and there than to dedicate an hour or so a few times a week.
Adding the intensity for shorter periods of time is ineteresting too, I'm curious now to see what I can do.

Feb. 17, 2009, 2:22 p.m.

My wife this year finally did what she's been talking about doing for years: take up running.

She's always been quick to jump on the wagon, then the momentum from the jump has her falling off the other side. I think I had something to do w/ that…as a former runner, she'd always ask me for advice, and I'd get frustrated if she didn't follow it.

This time she signed up for a 5KM out here (Chilli Chase), and the Sun Run. She's now signing up for some other 5 [HTML_REMOVED] 10 KM runs through the spring and summer, just so that she feels obligated to follow the training routine. No advice from me, and I keep it to myself. What worked for me won't work for her.

She's doing three sessions / week, and keeping at it. We're pretty proud of her…the kids are used to seeing Dad do all sorts of sports, but never Mum. Now that she's doing it, it is a very good example for the kids- especially our daughter.

Well done, and keep it up!

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

March 10, 2009, 12:53 p.m.

Is anyone still training outside in this god awful cold? I just got back and Im all red and feel a bit burnt. I love the sun but right now Id trade it for a week of warm rain.

March 13, 2009, 9:03 p.m.

I got sick for ten days during the cold weather. So did my baby girl, and then after that the husband got sick - and his turned into pneumonia. The past two weeks or so have been a complete write-off. And my so-called training hasn't exactly gone well up until now. Meh.

March 14, 2009, 1:12 a.m.

Anyone going in the St Pat's Day 5K in Stanley Park?

It's tomorrow morning so I should go to sleep. It's supposed to rain. I've been training a bit, but not a tonne. We'll see how it goes.

March 14, 2009, 1:15 p.m.

Good luck! It isnt that nice out but at least its warmer!

April 21, 2009, 9:46 a.m.

Sunday morning I step off the bus and kareem straight into a garbage bin I'm so nervous and and excited. I want to run somewhere to get into the lineup but all there is is people and Im landlocked behind a corral of white bibs. I need to get ahead of them, Ive been training for months, I feel like this year I am fit and can close it up in less that an hour.
The herd moves up to the starting lineup and we walk, I thought I heard a horn a few minutes ago but that must have been for another group, we are moving like catlle through the gate and not a single person can run yet. We seem to be stuck together, nobody is giving an inch until finally after a few minutes we loosen up and I can get a pace going. Whew! The small taste of freedom doesnt last as we all stop and inch our way around a corner, the same guys has passed me 4 times and now I need to pass him. I step on it. That lady looks like she's moving, I better catch up to her. Oh my god that guy is wearing a grass skirt, I have to pass him or Ill fall over laughing.
OOOH water, I grab a cup off a kids head and throw it at my mouth, I breathe more than I swallow and look around for first aid. There is none so I keep running, we are coming up to the bridge, I love this part, I haul it up the bridge. I can feel people hating me as I sprint past them as they slow down for the climb. Ha ha! Im in the home stretch, passing granville island when I see a kid who has a shirt that says "this is my last pre-op Sun Run". I cry. Hard. Tears are streaming and I realise that I can't let this slow me down. He may be having his tonsils out or becomeing a woman for all I know. I vow to find out later and pick up the pace.

One km left, I resolve to sprint! I am fully running up the bridge, down the bridge I find a clear spot and leap over the finish line and start crying again. I realise how silly I must look, most people have crossed and look very cool and collected. Some even have great hair. I regain my composure and head over to meet the bunnies, wow, that was amazing. I cant wait to hear everyones stories.

My official time was 1hr 54 seconds. I'm sure I was faster though, I must have passed a thousand people. :D

April 21, 2009, 11:14 a.m.

Sunday morning I step off the bus and kareem straight into a garbage bin I'm so nervous and and excited. I want to run somewhere to get into the lineup but all there is is people and Im landlocked behind a corral of white bibs. I need to get ahead of them, Ive been training for months, I feel like this year I am fit and can close it up in less that an hour.
The herd moves up to the starting lineup and we walk, I thought I heard a horn a few minutes ago but that must have been for another group, we are moving like catlle through the gate and not a single person can run yet. We seem to be stuck together, nobody is giving an inch until finally after a few minutes we loosen up and I can get a pace going. Whew! The small taste of freedom doesnt last as we all stop and inch our way around a corner, the same guys has passed me 4 times and now I need to pass him. I step on it. That lady looks like she's moving, I better catch up to her. Oh my god that guy is wearing a grass skirt, I have to pass him or Ill fall over laughing.
OOOH water, I grab a cup off a kids head and throw it at my mouth, I breathe more than I swallow and look around for first aid. There is none so I keep running, we are coming up to the bridge, I love this part, I haul it up the bridge. I can feel people hating me as I sprint past them as they slow down for the climb. Ha ha! Im in the home stretch, passing granville island when I see a kid who has a shirt that says "this is my last pre-op Sun Run". I cry. Hard. Tears are streaming and I realise that I can't let this slow me down. He may be having his tonsils out or becomeing a woman for all I know. I vow to find out later and pick up the pace.

One km left, I resolve to sprint! I am fully running up the bridge, down the bridge I find a clear spot and leap over the finish line and start crying again. I realise how silly I must look, most people have crossed and look very cool and collected. Some even have great hair. I regain my composure and head over to meet the bunnies, wow, that was amazing. I cant wait to hear everyones stories.

My official time was 1hr 54 seconds. I'm sure I was faster though, I must have passed a thousand people. :D

Nice job, Darthy. You where definitely faster then the clock showed. It's one of the downsides to the Sun Run type events when you have that many people jammed into such a small area.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk