Riding While Pregnant

Dec. 27, 2006, 11:37 a.m.

I'll have to ask Mrs. Smartypants, but that may have to with something other than lack of nutrients. I'll get back to you on that one…

I see your point Enduramil and I agree. The fact is if those women you know ate a whole bunch of steamed brocoli they'd be fine. Too much of a bad thing I guess.

It's like most things. Everything is good when it's balanced the problems arise when it's either extreme too little or too much.

By the way Wayne. You wouldn't happen to know the average weight of a newborn?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 27, 2006, 2:12 p.m.

I am practically a doctor since I'm married to one, right? :lol:

I'm guessing ~7lbs?

Dec. 27, 2006, 3:39 p.m.

I am practically a doctor since I'm married to one, right? :lol:

I'm guessing ~7lbs?

Just like I'm a Canada Games gold medal coach because I'm marrying one.

7lbs seems about right. Though I have been hearing more and more stories out here of newborns much heavier. A few have been like 11 lbs. Don't know if it's genetics but seems a little big.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 27, 2006, 9:21 p.m.

9lbs is huge but not uncommon, between 7 and 8 seems normal.

Dec. 27, 2006, 10:36 p.m.

my first son was 7lbs8oz, second was 8lbs7oz. both were slightly past their due date.

as for the eating for two/gaining weight debate…i gained a fair bit a weight with kid #2, to the point where i didn't want my doc to tell me what i weighed :P so have no idea what my weight was just before birth, nor do i ever want to know. however…i did lose it all, but it took some time. i think it's harder for a woman to lose the weight if she's somewhat chubby prior to pregnancy.

Dec. 28, 2006, 5:39 a.m.

my first son was 7lbs8oz, second was 8lbs7oz. both were slightly past their due date.

as for the eating for two/gaining weight debate…i gained a fair bit a weight with kid #2, to the point where i didn't want my doc to tell me what i weighed :P so have no idea what my weight was just before birth, nor do i ever want to know. however…i did lose it all, but it took some time. i think it's harder for a woman to lose the weight if she's somewhat chubby prior to pregnancy.

It is so true about the chubby part. My younger sister in law proved that theory with her second child.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 28, 2006, 6:44 a.m.

I am going to guess a really comfortable seat? As she gets wider maybe you'll need a more roomy seat.
Glad to be back on topic but nice to see some boys take such an interest in ladie's and their pregnancies. I think it's amazing women can sacrifice so much to have babies and it is so hard on their bodies. Keeping her comfortable and giving her positive encouragement is really awesome.

Just heard back from one of my contacts.

From what he told me, one of the concerns of riding while pregnant is the body's heat regulation. It is advised to avoid competition and hard training. Basically keep training easy and light.

Pretty similar to what I was thinking. Definetly will be getting out the screw driver and resetting her bikes limit screws.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 31, 2006, 11:36 a.m.

Your right that more calories are needed. Damm, I hate the internet. I'm talking about the women who are told that they will require roughly 3,000 calories a day. They take it to mean they can eat whatever they want and end up consuming say 6,000 calories a day.

I have actually seen this happen out here. At least 2 girls I know of took being pregnant as a free pass. They ate everything and gained a hell of alot of weight, trust me I say it wasn't all baby weight. In fact one child has a health condition related to mommies eating habits.

Too much weight gain above and beyond the needs of the mother and the developing baby can result in serious things such as gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, difficult delivery and more weight to loose after the baby is born. So too little is not good and neither is too much….once again as enduramil says it's all about balance.

I'd think every pregnant should see a dietitian or nutritionist if they can since doctors don't have time to provide nutrition advice…so good you recommended your client to see one.

If you are a healthy weight before pregnancy the recommended weight gain ranges between 11.5-16 kg or 25-35 lbs.

I have no filter …

Dec. 31, 2006, 3:06 p.m.

I'd think every pregnant should see a dietitian or nutritionist if they can since doctors don't have time to provide nutrition advice…so good you recommended your client to see one.

Oh com'on! That's just totally untrue. Its a part of their job.

Dec. 31, 2006, 3:11 p.m.

no kidding. i got great advice from my doc about what to eat. besides, as long as you eat healthy to begin with it's not really rocketscience that you should continue to do so once you're pregnant.

Dec. 31, 2006, 4:19 p.m.

Wayne, I know it's the doc's job. The woman is a bit stubborn when it comes to nutritional changes. Since it's a contact I have at UofT and it's a free visit. I figure that there is some benefit of hearing a fresh voice.

Besides I don't want to lose a athlete because of a stupid emotional arguement.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 31, 2006, 4:20 p.m.

no kidding. i got great advice from my doc about what to eat. besides, as long as you eat healthy to begin with it's not really rocketscience that you should continue to do so once you're pregnant.

So I take it the Tequila, Nacho's, Beer, Ice Cream, and Kobe steaks aren't a good idea?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 31, 2006, 5:13 p.m.

So I take it the Tequila, Nacho's, Beer, Ice Cream, and Kobe steaks aren't a good idea?

for you sure, for her, not so good :P

Dec. 31, 2006, 5:22 p.m.

Hey my phsyiotherapist rode her road bike to the hospital the day she birthed her twins via c-section. :clap:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 1, 2007, 3:45 p.m.

doctor's are suppose to but some don't give much info or pregnant women need more guidance and ideas on how to change and improve their diet

I have no filter …