rider size and riding style.

Dec. 10, 2009, 5:14 p.m.

Greetings Ladies

I've noticed my wife,(5'0") and most of her smaller friends prefer XC riding. She's never found a long travel bike she feels comfortable on.

I've noticed many of the top DH ladies, (Micayla 5'9"/Claire 5'7") are larger.

How tall are you and what is your dream bike?

Dec. 10, 2009, 5:33 p.m.

5'2" ; 27" inseam - Specialized P1 for 4X, pumptrack and dj; Trek Remedy for All Mountain (being able to climb to get to wicked downhills); SC Bullit for Freeride (looking to replace this bike soon) and a Turner DHR for DH. The Remedy and the DHR see the most use but if it just comes down to having the most fun, hitting the most stuff and going the fastest, its the DHR all the way!

The DHR was my dreambike. I ordered a custom colour and picked out all my favourite parts to build it up. It is a dream to me.

Dec. 10, 2009, 10:51 p.m.

not sure how relevant this is as i'm somewhat average, however..

5'5", 30" inseam.
brodie cretin (small) for dj/4x
morewood izimu (small) for dh. recently acquired, haven't raced on it yet, but it sure is fun to ride. rails at whistler. gotta be hands down the nicest bike i've ever ridden. doesn't climb so well however :lol:

currently riding a .243 ht - 15" st - for xc/am but it's gotta go and i'm hoping to replace it next year. not sure with what, but the banshee rune is on the list. hoping to try out a few bikes next year and narrow it down.

Dec. 11, 2009, 10:02 a.m.

currently riding a .243 ht - 15" st - for xc/am but it's gotta go

Finally kill it?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 11, 2009, 1:08 p.m.

5'2", don't know inseam, but my legs are short compared to most friends my height :-)

Current rides:
Knolly V-tach, XS, with a 24" rear wheel (mostly free-ride, do a couple DH races on it, more planned for this year as I finally got bitten by the speed bug), run a Fox 40 on it, its heavy but I love it

Knolly Endorphin XS for AM, though I ride it pretty much anywhere (Cypress, Fromme, Bike Park, XC)

I'd love to do timed runs on these two bikes to compare speeds (e.g on Mach Chicken ;) ) After last year's race (on the V-tach) I figured that I'd race the Endorphin this next year as I was convinced I would be faster on it…however I'm not so sure. I can keep up to my faster friends better on the V-tach.

For XC I've got a sweet custom hard tail; this is my favourite bike as it is my engagement "ring".

However, I definitely don't prefer XC riding over other forms of riding…not sure I have a favourite…I think the variety is what I like best, or perhaps just make it steep and gnarly…. :-)

Dream bike? I dunno…a lighter version of V-tach?

Dec. 11, 2009, 5:47 p.m.

Finally kill it?

nope, it's still kickin, i've just had enough of riding a ht.

Dec. 11, 2009, 7:58 p.m.

nope, it's still kickin, i've just had enough of riding a ht.

So much for Team HT Pride.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 12, 2009, 12:14 p.m.

So much for Team HT Pride.

nothing lasts forever ;)

Dec. 12, 2009, 3:38 p.m.

5'2" ; 27" inseam - Specialized P1 for 4X, pumptrack and dj; Trek Remedy for All Mountain (being able to climb to get to wicked downhills); SC Bullit for Freeride (looking to replace this bike soon) and a Turner DHR for DH. The Remedy and the DHR see the most use but if it just comes down to having the most fun, hitting the most stuff and going the fastest, its the DHR all the way!

The DHR was my dreambike. I ordered a custom colour and picked out all my favourite parts to build it up. It is a dream to me.

I also have a DHR with dream build, but I'm 6'5". How's that for a wrench in your theory Gary? :D

Posted via Mobile Device

iforonewelcome.com

Dec. 14, 2009, 3:17 p.m.

5'4", I ride a 7[HTML_REMOVED]7 Devinci Frantic, I love all sorts of riding but love DH the best. I dont think it has anything to do with size so much as it does personality. Most of the women I ride DH with vary in sizes but we are all out to get the most from our bikes/rides.
I also prefer DH trails, I like the gnarly steeps and rocky/rooty trails that call for a DH bike.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Dec. 14, 2009, 5:18 p.m.

^^^ I agree that personality plays a part… and I doubt size has anything to do with riding style - perhaps just a coincidence in some cases.

Dec. 15, 2009, 1:17 p.m.

get her to swing a let over a small or xs banshee rune, I bet it would suit her needs for everything she wants to ride

Builder of Little Bastard

Dec. 15, 2009, 4:11 p.m.

My GF has a WSD Trek Fuel EX 8 and a Transition Syren (6" fork). She's 5'3". Also really loved an Evil Revolt that she tried out (can't remember the size though). Other bikes to look at for smaller girls might be the Knolly DT (new one isn't as heavy as before) or the Banshee Rune.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Dec. 16, 2009, 7:20 a.m.

^^^ I agree that personality plays a part… and I doubt size has anything to do with riding style - perhaps just a coincidence in some cases.

According to the wife, comfort is a factor in whether she likes the bike or not.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Dec. 16, 2009, 7:29 a.m.

According to the wife, comfort is a factor in whether she likes the bike or not.

Yes, comfort is very important but I think one could find a comfortable bike that is for xc, am, freeride or dh. Again it comes down to other factors which type of riding one enjoys most and what one's riding style is.